Thread: new openX exploit & recommended fix

new openX exploit & recommended fix

a new exploit has been found in openX which allows hackers to create their own admin account. It was posted at http://blog.openx.org/05/security-up...penx-28-users/ along with these instructions:

A recent security issue with OpenX versions 2.8.0 - 2.8.8 means users of these versions of the platform should take the following steps:

1. Secure their servers by removing the files being exploited:

www/admin/account-settings-debug.php
    www/admin/plugin-index.php
    www/admin/plugin-settings.php
    www/admin/admin-user.php

2. Removing these scripts will impact some of the user/plugin management systems, but will not affect existing users/plugins, and will not affect ad serving.

3. Replace the www/admin/dashboard.php file with the one in this archive so as to not break the login process.

Users can tell if they have been affected by this by checking for a rogue admin user named “openx-manager” in their UI at http://<your_admin_domain>/www/admin/admin-access.php

If the above user is found, it should be removed, and a full security audit should be performed.

We strongly encourage users to lock down their config file. Additionally, users should notify security@openx.com if they ever become aware of a security matter.
    As we all know, its best to patch these things immediately before running into problems.
    Luke H.
    Marketing Director
    Zbuckz.com, Jbuckz.com, Dickbank.com, Glamourbuckz.com

Fixed that this weekend... our custom IP restrictions saved our ass apparently!

IndieBucks | StandAhead | BoyCrushCash | Phoenixxx | EmoProfits | BritishBucks | HunkMoney | LatinoBucks
    Lowest Minimum Payouts in the business, Perfect track record, Amazing sites

Camper than a row of tents
    I use the free version of OpenX to feed some banners to my blogs so this would not effect me, correct? I don't recall ever loading their scripts on my server... I just include some code on my sites that they provide.