Thread: Not Adult related but Question about WHM Loads

I'm not gay; I'm British!

Not Adult related but Question about WHM Loads

Hi
    I am considering changing hosting providers and am wondering about the relevance of the `Load Averages' listed in the top right of the WHM screen.

I understand it is from 1, 5 and 15 minutes ago and is representative of the number of CPU's on the server - so if you have 4 CPU's a value of 4 would mean the server is working 100% etc.

My previous host's number were very low: 0.5 0.47 0.42 and they have 4 CPU's from looking at the Service Status link
    My new host has 24 CPU's but the loads are: 4.68 5.42 5.70

Using both fingers and toes it seems that the new host's CPUs are working about 2-3x harder

However are the numbers on the new host of concern - or nothing to worry about really?

Ernie

From the little I know if they have cPanel and the system set up correctly if you have 4 CPU's a load average of 4 means that all CPU's are working at 100% capacity. If you have 24 CPU's then it would have to reach 24 before they are at capacity.

24 CPU's at 4.68 load average is using 19.5% of the their full capabilities.
    4 CPU's at 0.50 load average is using 12.5% of the their full capabilities.

So based on those numbers you new host is working 6% harder. Which isn't a big difference and considering they have a lot of room before reaching 100% I think you should be fine.

This of course also assumes both machines are using the same exact type of CPU's and disk IO isn't an issue.

Sincerely,
    Kevin.

I'm not gay; I'm British!
    Hi Kevin:

Thanks for your response, that is basically the way I was understanding it as well, that the `load averages' were dependant on the number of CPU's etc.

Thanks for confirming and explaining it for me.

Ernie