Thread: Mobile Detect

Gay Journalist and erotic video producer.
    Itinerant photographer, now in Liverpool... and on Stripchat and Streamen and Chaturbate.

Mobile Detect

I know the industry has shrunk considerably in the past year, and fewer and fewer members are still here...

But I'm wondering what the current state-of-the-art code is, for detecting the type of device a consumer is using to view our pages?

HTMlL or JAVA, what lines of code are working on your pages, to detect if the viewer is using a desktop, tablet or mobile phone?

And then, what are you doing about it?

As an Affiliate, I go to check my stats with a big-name program sponsor using my iPad, and I get re-directed to the consumer entrance to the site. No stats there! I have to use my desktop. So they are going to be useless in helping me with this.

As a webmaster (for my studio), I need to start doing more for my tablet and mobile phone viewers. I don't have a pay site, but my VOD partners have great mobile versions, for VOD of my 400 movies.

So what I need/want to do e.g. with my www.DudeLodge.com site, is to be able to detect desktop vs tablet vs mobile, and get those viewers directed to the right (my) link list, so I sent the tablet viewers to the tablet part of my VOD partners, and mobile to the mobile part of my VOD partners...

Thanks in advance,

Am I Bitter?...Absolutely nicedreams's Avatar
    Nick,

Most scripts check the user agent of the browser to determine what device the surfer is using.

Check out this php script: http://code.google.com/p/php-mobile-detect/

You would put that in your header of entry pages and direct to the appropriate page. Hope that helps.

Jimmy

Gay Amateur Paysites / Solo Twink Paysite
    Nice Dreams Cash
    http://www.nicedreamscash.com

Itinerant photographer, now in Liverpool... and on Stripchat and Streamen and Chaturbate.
    Will do!

I'm finding that many sites (in this industry) can't tell the difference between an iPad and a mobile phone.

I hate being given a mobile phone page for my iPad.

Sometimes in hotels on WiFi, a site thinks my desktop is a mobile phone!

I hope those sites keep up with what I am asking about here, too!

That is a monster of a piece of code! It seems to do everything, including the kitchen sink!

What a great find... of course, the key to implementing it, is to be simple and effective in creating the pages that can be offered to all the different types of devices it can detect.

(I'm wondering why it is moving from Google to GitHub?).

Got to write the mobile pages first, then implement this mobile detect!

I tried to implement http://code.google.com/p/php-mobile-detect/ , and PHP threw some fatal errors.

So I'm using $_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'] , just to see what kind of results I collect.

In the first half-hour, one or more of my 4 sites has been visited by bots from google, bing , ahrefs.com , baidu.com , and ezooms.bot .

Devices have included "computer", Macintosh, WindowsNT, Sony Tablet... not counting me with my iPad and iPhone.

The number of bots really brings home the point regarding the claim last year that 50% of Internet traffic is not human!