Thread: Creative Meet During NAB

Gay Journalist and erotic video producer.
    Itinerant photographer, now in Liverpool... and on Stripchat and Streamen and Chaturbate.

Creative Meet During NAB

The NAB show is going on in Las Vegas this week. Tonight was a mini show for the "creative" types who do web work.

Saw so many beautiful MacBooks! Guys shooting video interviews with iPads... lots of DSLR cameras shooting video.

Tablet editing Apps... and AutoDesk demo'ing the Mac laptop version of Smoke, the editing package that uses a pen and graphics tablet rather than a mouse.

And, a buffet with Angus Prime Rib. I didn't have any, because that kind of red meat makes me pee funny.

Itinerant photographer, now in Liverpool... and on Stripchat and Streamen and Chaturbate.

This is a new $995USD HD camera coming out in July, that records in ProRes file format.

Attachment 4514

A lot of portable light.

PortableLights.jpg

Fancy Buffet - complete with Angus Prime Rib. I didn't have any, because too much red meat makes me pee funny. And it was very rare. But they had a wide variety.

Angus.jpg Buffet.jpg

Pictures, sounds, words & web things dirtyratstudios's Avatar
    Thanks for posting the pics. LED lighting is an exciting area to watch, along with the video capabilities of DSLRs (though I wonder if those will ever have all the features of a top-end camcorder?). iPads have their place for shooting quick interviews and footage of events I suppose, but not for anything serious. Horses for courses...

I don't think I'd trust my camera on that guy's "tripod"!
    DirtyRatStudios | Contact me at the website

I've done some test video with my SONY A55 DSLR camera.

Video looked great, and edited just fine.

Except, while shooting I had to do manual zoom and focus, which is a little clumsy live while the video is recording.

The big caveat in the manual: don't shoot for more than about 10 minutes, without stopping to cool down!! Also, with mine and others, there is a fan that kicks in, which can be picked up by the on-board microphone.

So DSLRs are great for shooting 7-8 minute clips, but if you need live sound, use a plug-in mic, held a few feet away from the camera itself.

All of that can be great for "B" roll cutaways, which often are very short, and silent (because they are cut-aways), and sometimes are colorized (black and white or some effect).

That "tripod" had me nervous as well! Looking at that Canon camera and the odd thing it is standing on, made me think I looking at something out of a Harry Potter or Star Wars film.

These photos were taken with my 2011 iPhone 4, a couple with flash and the rest without, in a dimly lit hotel ballroom.

I didn't want to make a pest of myself with a big camera and big flash, in a trade show environment, like that guy in combat boots and camo shorts, with big open sores on his legs, that shot guerrilla style paparazzi photos at the European Summit and Xbiz London.

I won't be able to afford to upgrade my iPhone to the next generation with newer camera, until Fall 2013 at the earliest, especially if I return to the UK this summer. (UK VAT sales tax is 20%, compared to US 8 1/2% on average, coupled with currency exchange rate at about 1.50. That makes a $499US iPhone about $800US in the UK.

I was OK with doing that in 2011, because unlocked iPhones weren't available in the US before I left for the UK, 6+ months before unlocked iPhones became available in the US. I've used mine in 6 countries... every country needing a SIM card specific for that country. (UK, IE, CZ, DE, US, FR).

I've used O2 and Voda as UK and EU carriers, with H2O and T-Mobile as US carriers.

I haven't used one but I know someone who shoots corporate videos and for the main commercial TV company in the UK. He had the same concerns about audio and after testing a DSLR on a couple of corporate shoots has just bought a new Sony camcorder.

I like a variable speed zoom for shooting events and action. It's a must for me. I guess focusing is much more critical too due to the large sensor? It all depends when the major manufacturers decide they are willing to reduce two markets (SLR and camcorder) into one.

Useful as B camera though as you say!

The tripod seems to be a monopod with a mic stand base. At first I wondered if it was a new product and had some kind of gyro in it to keep it upright like a Segway?

Quote Originally Posted by nickbaer View Post
    I've done some test video with my SONY A55 DSLR camera.

Video looked great, and edited just fine.

In the UK Three is good. They do 300 minutes, 3000 texts and all-you-can-eat data, pay as you go, for 15 Pounds a month. But you're not allowed to tether a laptop to your phone to use it as a modem.

I've used O2 and Voda as UK and EU carriers, with H2O and T-Mobile as US carriers.

That mono/tripod made me nervous.

I was expecting the little legs to start buzzing, like the gold Quidditch ball (thing?) that flirted with Harry.

You'll notice that the iPad Caster framework is mounted on a monopod as well, which is OK as long as you've got 2 people on the shoot..

I had a nice Super 8 movie camera in 1979 but with a major design flaw: the tripod socket was in the base of the pistol grip which made it top heavy. One day I didn't tighten the pan handle enough, the camera fell forward and ripped the bottom off the pistol grip. That kind of thing certainly teaches you a lesson

That mono/tripod made me nervous.