Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Get To Know - BDBionic

1. Ok, you've found the Magic Lamp ... rub it and tell us what 3 wishes you'd want granted.

2. What do you see yourself doing in 5 years, 10 years and 20 years from now?

3. If you could have ANY job in the world, what would it be, and why?

Bell
    Originally posted by LdyLnWolf1
    1. Ok, you've found the Magic Lamp ... rub it and tell us what 3 wishes you'd want granted.

you sound like ME...
    LOL !!!!
    (am I rubbing off on you ohiogirl ??)

~Bell

Have an idea and make it come to life! Gary-Alan's Avatar
    Originally posted by Bell
    I have never ever seen one of those...

yoo hoo.... horticultureboy....
    where do these come from... what are they used for??
    is any part of it - edible ??
    how tall do they grow ?? and where ??

~Bell

p.s. thanks for finding / sharing the pic Brian...

Here's a factsheet for ya, Bell.

http://www.naturia.per.sg/buloh/plan...rove_trees.htm

BDBionic
    Ok, you've found the Magic Lamp ... rub it and tell us what 3 wishes you'd want granted.
    1. Lots of money
    2. I'd wanna really cool pet dog that'd live as long as me.
    3. Lose 50 lbs hehe

5 years - in a quality long term relationship, bought a house, making a buncha cash, having visited Prague, South Africa, and Australia.
    10 - still in the same relationship. kids. running a successful business.
    20 - still in the same relationship. contemplating the option of retiring comfortably relatively young and just travelling, my kids are non-psycho teenagers, spent some time in Antarctica chillin' with penguins.
    A UN hotspot crisis negotiator who travels to the most exciting parts of the world to help negotiate solutions to massive world problems.

AusCoding Allan
    Mangroves are plants that grow in estuarine environments i.e. where rivers meet the sea and the water can either be salty or fresh depending on the tide. They can grow submerged or above the water line but prefer to stay really moist. They produce fruits that when ripe are a yellowy orange colour.

The Fruit

Fruits may be eaten, after scraping off the outside and boiling with wood ashes, according to some skeptical accounts (Burkill, 1966). The Wealth of India describes the fruit as sweet and edible, the juice made into a light wine. Young shoots are cooked and eaten as a vegetable (C.S.I.R., 1948–1976). Bark, used for tanning and dye, may be removed from stems for sale as firewood. Leaves are the source of a black or chestnut dye (Burkill, 1966). Mangrove extract is used for maintaining oil-well drilling muds within a desired range of flow (C.S.I.R., 1948–1976). Planted along coastal fish ponds to stabilize the banks.
    The Distribution

Old World tropics from South and East Africa to Madagascar, Seychelles, Mauritius, southeastern Africa to southern China, Ryukyu throughout Malaysia to northeastern Australia, Melanesia, and Micronesia. Not widely introduced in Hawaii (Little, 1983).
    They get to about 30m at maturity and will be approx. fifty yrs old at that stage.

Cheers,

Horticulture Boy

BDBionic
    they also have em in south america. that's where I saw them for the first time

in Ecuador they're cuttin em all down to build shrimp farms, though. =\

Bell
    thanks for the links and info on mangrove trees...

I also saw these:

pretty pics here:
    http://www.naturia.per.sg/buloh/plan...cylindrica.htm

most especially the one in the sunset here:
    http://www.naturia.per.sg/buloh/plan...cylindrica.htm

pretty:
    http://www.mangrovegarden.org/landscape.html

~Bell

BDBionic
    Aren't they pretty?!

So prehistoric looking. I love em.