Thread: Today's Fun with PHP and javascript

Gay Journalist and erotic video producer.
    Itinerant photographer, now in Liverpool... and on Stripchat and Streamen and Chaturbate.

Today's Fun with PHP and javascript

Last month I finished figuring out how to do the handwriting block on a web page, so I can capture and save handwriting, e.g. a Model's signature when I'm on the road, like when we sign for packages from UPS/FedEX, or our credit card swipe at Target.

Yesterday, I pursued a favorite type of web programming that involves making Google Maps. I first started making my own Google maps 3 years ago, when I made a map of my DVD customers. Since fulfilling DVD orders is based on shipping to a physical address, having a map is a useful tool.

For this new project, I took my list of IP addresses captured when a viewer comes to (one of) my web pages, and run each through a public GEOIP look up service, that returns the latitude and longitude of an IP address, and plots them all on a Google map!

The first fun result of this, beyond a world map showing each site's viewers and fans, is to see on the map where a Google bot or Bing bot is coming from, and then to click and see the picture of the building!!

Since Google maps is now including some interior photos of places, I also saw the inside of a Starbucks where a viewer surfed in from.

I'm next going to use the Country Code of each IP to politely tell viewers from most countries that I don't ship DVDs to their country.

And then work on blocking pirates and the horrendous number of bots that visit my sites daily - upwards of 40% of my page views are by bots. My first project 9 months ago was to create a table of surfer's origins, and look at their identity to see if they are a bot or not. Which then extends to which Blog they were referred by, or which Search Engine (Google, Bing, Yahoo, AOL).

All of this interest started about a year ago when I read that 50% of Internet traffic is non-human! That statement is not all that out of line.

Something that you should ask of all ad and traffic sellers.

Gay Journalist and erotic video producer.
    Itinerant photographer, now in Liverpool... and on Stripchat and Streamen and Chaturbate.
    I deleted this reply, because it was to the wrong thread.