Thread: A control/file panel...

Have an idea and make it come to life! Gary-Alan's Avatar

A control/file panel...

Hope someone can help me here...

I recently bought and installed a shopping cart script. But due to server security and ownership issues I can not manipulate files (upload/view/edit/delete) into the directories the script made becasue my login is 'user' and the directories and file are owned by and assined to 'data'.

So whenever I want to make a change or look at a file I can not do it online, I have to send them to the server techs and they have to upload. In an attempt to avoid this I was told I could use a browser interface panel script that will let me upload and edit the files like this one... http://fsguide.sourceforge.net/ I was told it should be fairly simple to install (it is) but I can't get to the directories I need and so it just sucks from my stand point LOL

Any suggestions on a file interface like this or a way to get around this BS?

It's only on one server that this is happening, since the company will not give out superuser access on accounts. Every other company I work with gives me superuser. It's frustrating the shit outta me. I'm at my whits end with this. And I'm sure my host will start getting upset if I start sedning file minute by minute for uploading LOL

If this makes sense, HELP!? LOL

Gary-Alan

it sounds like a permissions issue, where the script is writing files as a different owner than your account. Have you tried chown'ing the script files to your admin name? If you can't do this then the script is not a good one to run. Have you tried using oscommerce for your shopping cart? Its free and extremely powerful, its just a bit complex to set it all up and get it running smoothly.

cheers,
    Luke

Originally posted by Chilihost
    it sounds like a permissions issue, where the script is writing files as a different owner than your account. Have you tried chown'ing the script files to your admin name? If you can't do this then the script is not a good one to run. Have you tried using oscommerce for your shopping cart? Its free and extremely powerful, its just a bit complex to set it all up and get it running smoothly.

cheers,
    Luke
    Thanks Luke!

Actually I just chown'd for the first time LOL It worked.

I do use oscommerce... I like it a lot for my big projects. It's a bitch to customize though. Took me a while to figure things out LOL Of course I didn't read a lick of the available info and figured it out myself. I actually have the newest milestone release sitting here. If I couldn't fix this problem I was about to install this.

Since this is a small project OSCommerce was going to be way too much for just two products. The next project is HUGE and I'm using that. But I think I will read the documentation a little more before I just install it and go HAHAHAHA

Thanks!
    GA

Corey Bryant
    Originally posted by Gary-Alan
    Since this is a small project OSCommerce was going to be way too much for just two products. The next project is HUGE and I'm using that. But I think I will read the documentation a little more before I just install it and go HAHAHAHA

Thanks!
    GA
    But it is SO much more fun than without reading the instructions :grin:

Originally posted by Corey Bryant
    But it is SO much more fun than without reading the instructions :grin:
    You know you're right, it is!

The first time I downloaded OScommerce, which was more than a year ago, I tore it apart to figure out what was happening. In the process I was learning a LOT about php... because god forbid I read a php tutorial. I'm just :wacko: LOL

GA