Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A House Owner's Hell Week Story

A House Owner's Hell Week Story

1. Last Week - Monday: I had called about rusty pipes to my gas meter. Gas man found gas leak outside the house at the meter at the point where pipe and concrete meet as pipe heads down driveway toward the street. Small leak, so guy will have a different crew out Tues morning.

2. Last Tuesday: They couldn't shut off the main valve at the street without tearing out half the sidewalk and driveway using a jackhammer and rear end loader. Took all day to replace the main line to my meter.

3. Late Tuesday: A pressure test showed that there is/was leaks inside house, so they won't turn on gas til those are fixed - after 1 and 1/2 days of crazy shit of trying to fix a gazillion little leaks I said fuck it and just tore out the entire gas line that's in the crawl way under the house. We've been rebuilding that since Thursday morning. -- I think we're at $300 now for pipes and connectors, etc. - and at least 9 trips to the various hardware and do-it-yourself stores in the area.

4. Friday: I managed to bust a water line with my shoulder while tightening a gas pipe connection. I'm sure you can picture me under the house in a crawl space with cold water shooting down my head and back and I can't even straighten up to turn around to find the shutoff valve without getting it in the face too! (And of course my can of PVC GLUE was old and wouldn't open even with pliers ... so off to store to buy more to fix the water pipe)

5. Late Friday Night and Early Saturday -- half the house electricity started flickering and went out, then would come on again, and finally failed. I tested all of the breakers and the main box is fine, but the sub panel isn't getting the right amperage to function. Plus the hot water tank and pipes around it are now "electrified". Got a couple nasty shocks from the tank as I had to lean over it to reach the main electric panel. I've hired an electrician today from Angie's List for $129, have to setup an appt. for them to come out and figure out what's what. I can do some electric work, but this is out of my capabilities.

5. We took Sunday and Monday off out of sheer exhaustion, pain and frustration. Man -- it's hell not having hot water or a working stove! I'm microwaving water to wash in, do dishes, do some minimal cooking (we've been buying pizza, tacos and fast food burgers which isn't really that good for any of us with our high cholesterol, diabetes, etc) BTW - just an FYI - you can't cook spaghetti in a bowl of hot water in the microwave ... it just makes wheat paste).

I'm just glad it isn't winter as we also have a gas furnace. Oh, and did I mention that with half the power off, I only have one working outlet in the kitchen? So I have to move in the coffee pot, make coffee then hook the power to the microwave or toaster oven to fix any food or hot water we need, and of course I can't use two appliances at once or I blow the circuit ...

6. So here it is, This Week - Tuesday. I finally got enough line installed (after another trip to the hardware store) and pressure tested with air to run the stove, so tomorrow I'll call and hopefully get the gas back on. I'm not hooking up the hot water tank until the electrician figures out why it's shocking us, but at least I can heat bigger pans of water on a working stove! So ... Cross your fingers ....

Big Hands/Big Feet=Expensive shoes & gloves!
    OMG BEC! That is absolutely terrible! My heart goes out to you! Talk about a true money pit (and literal pain in the butt!).
    It also sounds like your house is POSSESSED or something. I mean, could an exorcism really hurt?
    I thought *I* had problems when I had to shell out a few thousand to repair my broken sewer line!
    Hope things get well for you soon..and you can make pasta the way gawd intended it to be made..on your STOVE!

My best!
    Hugs
    Doug

Tues. Update: Well, the electrician I tried to hire can't get here for a month ... so I'm having to request a refund from Angie's List. I happened to be talking to my neighbor a couple hours ago and she has a nephew who does electric and plumbing (professional) and does stuff on the side, and has a call in to him to call her back. Hopefully he can come take a look.

The gas man just left and said he just turns stuff on, he's not a pipe man and can't attach the meter to the new pipe I ran. Hopefully the pipe guys will stop by tomorrow ....(lemme guess -- they're union ...)

Thanks mansized for the sympathy and well wishes, and yes, we're planning on doing a house smudge to get the karma back in balance. ... now to go buy a sage smudge stick ...

Big Hands/Big Feet=Expensive shoes & gloves!
    How much insurance you got on that house? JUST ASKING! grin

(12 x what it is supposedly worth ... and don't tempt me ...LOL)

Holy shit! That is quite a week! I hope you get your issues resolved.
    I would have already been in jail for killing a mother fucker, out of pure frustration.
    Flirt4Free || Account Executive
    ph: 916-672-TOFU (8638)
    twitter: tofu916

Pictures, sounds, words & web things dirtyratstudios's Avatar
    Ugh had a horrible experience earlier in the summer when I ended up with raw sewerage six inches deep outside the back door. Seems they had fractured the sewer pipe two doors away sometime earlier when laying a water pipe above. So it became blocked and sewerage started coming up through the drains. As one workman was trying to rod the pipe without success a huge pile of "stuff" surged out of a grate on the front street. We take all these things for granted.
    DirtyRatStudios | Contact me at the website

Quote Originally Posted by tofu View Post
    Holy shit! That is quite a week! I hope you get your issues resolved.
    I would have already been in jail for killing a mother fucker, out of pure frustration.

I nearly did today ... the "pipe guy" showed up, and started giving me some grief about the pipe into the house needing "sleeved". I'm like what do you mean by sleeved and he tells me the pipe should be inside of pvc pipe to protect it from water damage in the future.

Now I just had treated those pipes with a product from Rustoleum called Never Wet. It's a two step process and treated products just repel water. I told him about it. He just walks to the truck, brings back some pvc pipe, cuts it to drop it over the piece entering the house to make it "look" sleeved, and hits the rest of my pipe with spray paint. It took me a minute to realize what he had just done ... and I was totally livid ... him hitting the pipes with the paint took away the Never Wet protection.

My thoughts ran akin to "Like thanks dude, you just wasted a whole lot of my time and money and as soon as your ass is gone I will be removing that fucking paint and redoing the sealant ..."

I did manage to bite my tongue only because he was actually hooking up the meter without mandating that I actually tear out all the new pipe and encase it in pvc.

.... and the connection guy that was supposed to be out in about half an hour later never showed up ...

I've smudged the house and I'm going to bed. Tomorrow has to be better right?

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyratstudios View Post
    As one workman was trying to rod the pipe without success a huge pile of "stuff" surged out of a grate on the front street. We take all these things for granted.
    Man, I got a mental sniff of that and it was nasty!

WOOT! We have gas to the stove! ... now on to the electrical issues ....

Quote Originally Posted by Bec View Post
    Man, I got a mental sniff of that and it was nasty!
    A photo is available!

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyratstudios View Post
    A photo is available!
    Uh ... I'll pass, LOL!

.... and an update: I finished installing the new sub-panel last night and we have all power back on!!! YEAH !!! I actually knew more about it than I realized, and after I double checked a couple things on the internet and made sure to buy the right materials, it was just a matter of assembly. Took awhile, but hey, I figure an electrician would easily of been $100 per hour.

Now to continue with gas lines and hook up the hot water heater and furnace!

Gay Journalist and erotic video producer.
    Itinerant photographer, now in Liverpool... and on Stripchat and Streamen and Chaturbate.
    I can't imagine owning a older house in 2013! I haven't owned an older house since 1993, or a brand-new since 2002. With aging housing stock, and more importantly as Bec has shared, aging utility infrastructure.

You may have better building standards in the States than we do in the UK and you have more space. Here I would be reluctant to buy anything built later than 1980 as they trend to be poorly constructed with cramped rooms. We have a lot of great Victorian and Edwardian houses and anything up the 1970s is worth considering.

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/789470/thu...-640x468.jpg?6

LOVE 4 SALE OR LEASE SEX MONTHLY! :) longboardjim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bec View Post
    Now to continue with gas lines and hook up the hot water heater and furnace!

hopefully you get all that done before winter!

- jim