Thread: Recommendations for editing machine

Recommendations for editing machine

Anyone have recommendations for a 64bit computer setup for editing?

I've heard they can be very expensive but I'm more concerned about getting the right machine. I've been delving into special effects creation in After Effects and would like to render very quickly. Time is money and I'm not getting any younger
    Naked Straight Men on Squirtit & StraightBro

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

Gay Journalist and erotic video producer.
    Itinerant photographer, now in Liverpool... and on Stripchat and Streamen and Chaturbate.
    I used to recommend Mac G5 Towers, like the one I did major work on in the mid-2000s, when Final Cut Pro ruled the airwaves; but now they are not on the Apple store page.

I did find the new Mac Pro line. http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/ I assume they will be incredible. Same price range as the G5s from mid-2000s- not quite 10 years ago.

Then, there will be the discussion between FCP X and Premiere Pro. I tried PP, but found it to an incredible headache.

PP is $50/month on Adobe Creative Cloud, while FCP X is $299. http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/

Because I travel, and travel light with my MacMini, iPad, and soon some brand of laptop (possibly not Apple), I'm sticking with the older version of FCP. I tried HD for my VOD videos with PP, but it didn't earn me anything above what SD does. Except a headache to use, longer processing times, and longer waits to go live with VOD partners, that is with the ONE that truly works with HD.

For a PC ...I'd say a 4 or 6 core processor and at least 8 gig of ram. Don't skimp on cooling fans or your video card. And I'd suggest a 600 watt power box. You'll need Windows 7 to handle the 64bit and additional ram over 3.5 gig. I don't know much about the Windows 8 to either suggest it or nix it.

For a MAC system someone else will have to post their thoughts and recommendations.

Itinerant photographer, now in Liverpool... and on Stripchat and Streamen and Chaturbate.
    This also re-visits the OSX vs WIN comparisons.

OSX Mavericks has been out for a few weeks. I do not have experience with Mavericks, yet. But I did find some reviews.

http://finalbug.net/home-of-bruce/mo...ders-are-equal

https://www.google.com/#newwindow=1&...views&safe=off

Thanks for the recomndations Bec and Nick.

I haven't been brave enough to venture to the world of Mac yet Nick so my only options are a PC machine for now.

My current system is a HP Pavilion Elite HPE-460z series:

* Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

* AMD Phenom(TM) II X6 1055T six-core processor [2.8GHz, 3MB L2 + 6MB L3 shared, up to 4000MHz]

* 16GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [4 DIMMs]

It's dedicated with my editing software and After Effects, but it's still way to slow. I know there are better PC machines out there with lightening speed but I'm not sure what the terminology is for them or where to research these specific kinds of machines.

I've heard I can pay for cloud processing of the files but new to this whole aspect of production. Thanks for your input so far and any more tips, ideas or pointing in the right direction are greatly appreciated
    Naked Straight Men on Squirtit & StraightBro

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

Well, you certainly are in range of what I'd say would be a good setup, but perhaps we're both missing some key item(s) that kick the speed up ...

Some links to check out

Powerful Photo/Video Editing at a Budget

Build a Monster Computer for Video Editing and Post Production

The Genesis II They want to sell you a dedicated workstation, but perhaps some "pre sales" inquiries would let you garner info to build your own.

This article is about a guy who wanted a pc for editing and has put together this video and list of hardware: Building Your First Computer for Video Editing ... he then has a newer version of the build with some adjustments after getting feedback from the first article.

Hope those help

I just got a new iMac with a few upgrades and I'm so thrilled with editing now. My videos output output in 1/10th of the time they used to on my old machine!

Robert Chandler
    Fantastic Foreskin
    Affiliate site: Fantasticforeskin.com/affiliates
    Twitter: @FanForeskin | Facebook: FantasticRobertChandler

Are you using FCP X?

I will be upgrading in March, before leaving for Europe - for the 4th time.

I go macMini, because the Mini fits in my carry on, and the monitor in the checked baggage.

What do you do with all of that extra time?

I'm not using Final Cut X yet but would like to transition eventually. I had seen mention of a new upgrade that was to be release with the new Mac Pro, but I'm not sure what the status of that is now. I'll probably wait for 10.1.

I used to send my video to Compressor before I went to bed. Now I can send it to Compressor, edit some photos, and have a video ready to upload when my photos are done. I love my new iMac!

Robert Chandler
    Fantastic Foreskin
    Affiliate site: Fantasticforeskin.com/affiliates
    Twitter: @FanForeskin | Facebook: FantasticRobertChandler

GWW Community Member
    I have a machine completely dedicated to my video editing.

It is:
    PC with a quad core processor
    8 Gig of RAM
    2 Terabytes of Hard drive space
    Pinnacle Studio 12 Vdieo editing software

It works like a dream!

GWW Community Member
    I can render a 30 minute video in 10 miinutes

GWW Newbie..Be Nice..
    2013_mac_pro.jpg

this will do magic.
    SeeMyBucks New Sites > WatchDudes.com | SeeMyBF.com | MenBucket.com

That was in my first post above. Glad you like it, too.

Loos like the design will enhance cooling.

I wish I could carry something like that in airplanes.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeMyBucks View Post
    2013_mac_pro.jpg

this will do magic.