Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OSX Mavericks

Gay Journalist and erotic video producer.
    Itinerant photographer, now in Liverpool... and on Stripchat and Streamen and Chaturbate.

OSX Mavericks

I took the plunge and updated to OSX Mavericks last night.

Since most of you are Windows, and always share your own war stories, I will let you know about mine, in this thread.

First, it took about 3 hours to download with home cable Internet (usually 126K).

Second, it too 2 hours to actually install after that. I hate it when the progress window says "less than a minute", for 30 minutes! Makes me very nervous something has hung! (In the different context from "hung" used in most posts here).

Itinerant photographer, now in Liverpool... and on Stripchat and Streamen and Chaturbate.
    Displays.

Far fewer options for setting the aspect ratio and resolution of your screen.

It is taking a bit of an adjustment for me, with astigmatism. I typically have to enlarge print on all web pages, via the zoom button that already exists.

That works, but it does alter the layout a bit.

Notes and Apple Mail.

Notes are now in their own App, called Notes. No longer are Notes stored in Apple Mail.

Office:2008.

Dead. Broken. You MUST upgrade to Office:2011.

I just did. 30-day free trial, then $9.99/month.

I only use Excel, since it handles pasted data from web page tables, differently, and better than Open Office (You have to do Edit > Paste Special and select Tab Delimited), and Numbers which doesn't seem to even parse delimited unformatted data.

If I find something better in the first 30 days, I'll ditch the bitch and make the switch.

App Updates.

2 hours later this morning, I'm at 2.78GB downloaded of 3.28GB of updates to existing installed Apps.

Not counting Office:2011, which is at about 25% after 15 minutes.

Actually, 78GB downloaded of 3.28GB of updates, was for *ONE* App. I have a dozen more!

Firefox.

It updated itself last week or so. No indication that it did, or needed to do, any updates since I installed Mavericks last night.

Actually, 2.78GB downloaded of 3.28GB of updates, was for *ONE* App. I have a dozen more!

My mouse has been acting up the past couple of weeks since the last Java update. Single clicks become double... some single clocks don't do anything... click and drag highlighting doesn't always highlight all the text...

Created MS Office account subscription. Downloaded software. Got them configured and personalized - in the Installer.

Launch Excel and Word, new logos for Excel:2011 and Word:2011. And both crash. Stupid window pops up saying it had to close.

Now, who do I call????

Well, I called Tech Support. The effort wasn't all that painful, as they had me install a remote viewer, and they then were able to control my mouse and see the screen.

Bottom line, there is something conflicting with Office! Their error procedure found that.

They want me to call Apple, and have Apple fix that!! I asked "Fix What?". MS didn't know.

(Laughter).

We did create a second User account on my machine, and the new Office runs fine from the new User. Not sure I want to be switching Users in order to use Office.

he said that that "work around" was a great solution to my problem. I told him we Mac users don't do "work arounds," that's why were Mac users, not Windows users. I told him MS has 30 days to fix the problem that it is detecting, or I cancel my subs during the 30-day free trial. He said that was fin with him. I told him that's not how we do business in America.

The slight advantage of Office over Open Office may not be worth the $9.99/month subscription to own it.

Dock.

No longer can we remove items in the Dock by point-click-drag. Now, left mouse > Options > Remove.

Open Office.

Launched Open Office, says there is an update. Downloaded it from SourceForge, launched it.

Error message that OSX can't open it, because of Unidentified Developer.

Someone didn't get a memo.

Life is a dick and when itīs get hard---just fuck it... DEVELISH's Avatar
    hi nick,

you can remove items from the dock- just dram them a litte more upwards than you are used to :-)
    :-D

The fix is to open Preferences > Security and there will be a message waiting that OpenOffice was not opened, with a button to Open Anyway. Just clicked it, opened it.

Quote Originally Posted by nickbaer View Post
    Open Office.

Launched Open Office, says there is an update. Downloaded it from SourceForge, launched it.

Error message that OSX can't open it, because of Unidentified Developer.

Someone didn't get a memo.

Sure enough!!! I just removed Excel from the Dock, by dragging more upwards than before!

It is so good to have old friends stop in here again! Old friends with right answers!

Quote Originally Posted by DEVELISH View Post
    hi nick,

you can remove items from the dock- just dram them a litte more upwards than you are used to :-)