Thread: When do you say, ‘ENOUGH!’ - a Soap Box Moment

Have an idea and make it come to life! Gary-Alan's Avatar

WTF? When do you say, ‘ENOUGH!’ - a Soap Box Moment

I’m going to step on my soapbox for a few minute and rant…

I’ve been ‘releasing’ the tension a lot lately. I don’t think this thread is going to be any different LOL Something in Michael’s thread about the industry has really done a number on the self-imposed dam that I have built to keep some comments to myself. Thank you, Dzinerbear, for the help in taking that down that block.

Now my rant…

When do you say, ‘ENOUGH!’

For years, I have had my site designs copied, my ideas replicated and my own words stolen by people who then try to make them there own.

I have let it happen. I rarely stopped it. Primarily because I always had another idea, more designs and a big mouth full of words that I didn’t care. Most of the people that did things like this had some distance between them and me. But when the time came that I was standing in front of them I immediately got the credit for teaching them… and that’s cool! I figured it was my perception of things that was at question, then. Not them.

As Bec said trying to put something online and then protecting it is almost impossible. That is a big part of this.

However, when you see someone you know, and to this point trusted, blatantly copying from you right in front of your face… When do you say, ‘Enough! Stop it! Get a fucking original idea of your own!’ ?

I have shared a lot of information and friendship over the net and over the years. But I get this overwhelming feeling that some people think I’m not seeing it; that I don’t know it’s happening - it’s ok, because Gary-Alan is a good guy and not make a fuss with friends.

Part of me says it’s inconsequential. I know who I am, I have Lee with me, and the people here at GWW are my family and that’s all that should matter to me. And that’s my mindset most of the time.

But every time I see it happen, I can feel the bile rise in the back of my throat. Part of me says, LET IT BLOW! Take ‘em on! Another part says let it be, there is no good result that can be achieved – more harm than good will come out if it (which is what is stopping me, I know).

While I know that no good will come of a confrontation other than some piece of mind, am I doing myself, and my company, an injustice by keeping quiet? That’s more rhetorical than an actual question. Hell just by making this post may end the issue. Who knows?

Thank you for letting me vent! I know I don’t want to get into a name calling bitch match. I just needed to get it off of my chest. And you all are such good listeners Thanks!

OH! This is not about anything that has been shared or discussed here on GWW or in our threads! Just want to be sure we all know that

Hugs,
    Gary-Alan

AusCoding Allan
    The only way I've ever really acheived anything or felt the burden lifted is to voice my concerns either directly or indirectly - I'm no expert but I think your post is one of the best ways to air your grievance - and I respect the fact that you chose not to name names that to me shows you have a huge amount of ethics when you deal with a person or company - so 1. congratulations on getting it off your chest and 2. I hope your post showed other people how to tackle such matters if they ever happen to them in the future.

Cheers,

Allan

Dzinerbear
    I've talked a couple of times in past threads about taking on a guy who is pulling a stunt on his site to scam my traffic from search engines.

I confronted him, threatened him, and he stopped. I've done this twice now with two difference webmasters and I think it's important to do. Gary, you're showing me this now more than ever.

If you don't confront these people who are stealing your ideas and design looks, then where does it stop? What are they going to take next? And is it going to be from you, or are they going to start pilfering off someone else?

Gary, I think we all have a higher obligation to challenge these people every single time, otherwise we're contributing to a climate where webmasters believe it's okay to steal, and continue to do so. They don't hire designers like Scorpio or Bec, they don't buy content from Ounique and GAP, they scam traffic from the TGP owner ... we all suffer.

More important, I think you owe it to yourself to challenge these people. You are too talented, work too hard, and give too much to let people just walk in, take what they want, and go off and make money.

And finally, pent up anger turns into nasty things like cancer. Get it out, girl, spew and hurl.

Big hugs
    Dzinerbear

when people have stolen my designs, which has happened from time to time, i generally go straight to their sponsors. if i have to, i go to the host. only if it's someone i know do i bother talking with them - but that is always SO uncomfortable. i do it, though.

your ideas are there to make YOU money. intellectual property theft is theft, nonetheless.

i think good WILL come from confrontation - not aggressive confrontation, but saying "hey, that's mine. you do not have permission to use my design". or if that's a little hard, try telling them "look, my designs make me money only if they're fresh. please don't use them - it lowers my income."

btw, i had a friend who copied my gallery layouts years ago. he posted to a tgp i used to post to, one of the ones that sent me the best sales. that tgp webmaster thought i was posting more than he allowed and blacklisted me - i remain blacklisted to this very day.

you are not a bad or unreasonable person for telling someone to stop stealing - they are stealing the time, thought and effort you put into your stuff! those things are a part of you and also they are valuable monetarily - NO one should steal from you.

*disclaimer* the previous is only the opinion of this webmistress - who is getting off her soapbox now...

On the other hand.... You have different fingers dirtygeek's Avatar
    Ya know, I'm so right there with you. Between the sites that just think it's ok to take your content for their site, to people that talk shit, and people that you fire that try to fuck with you.

I'm like 2 inchs aways from just getting a big ol stick, a 12 pack of beer, and just point out the trash. I'm sorry but I know only a handful of people in this business that I can say I trust.

Between ex employees basically stealing and lying, to video companies trying to go behinde my back and take my customers from me. I'm over it.
    You'll get more with a kind word and a 2 by 4 then you'll get with just a kind word.

Stunner Media Presents 8 great programs:
    IndieBucks | StandAhead | BoyCrushCash | Phoenixxx | <a href="http://hunkmoney.com/">Hunk Money</a> | <a href="http://nats.britishbucks.com/">British Bucks</a> | <a href="http://nats4.emoprofits.com/">Emo Profits</a> | <a href="http://latinobucks.com/">Latino Bucks</a>

:boom: :boom: :boom:

its too early in the morning for me to vent but believe me I am just sick and tired of so many idiots in this business too!!!

cheers,
    Luke

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Well i could have handled it for you hubby

But then you know how i would have reacted LMAO

Regards,

Lee

On the other hand.... You have different fingers dirtygeek's Avatar
    yup, the English Courtney Love
    You'll get more with a kind word and a 2 by 4 then you'll get with just a kind word.

Stunner Media Presents 8 great programs:
    IndieBucks | StandAhead | BoyCrushCash | Phoenixxx | <a href="http://hunkmoney.com/">Hunk Money</a> | <a href="http://nats.britishbucks.com/">British Bucks</a> | <a href="http://nats4.emoprofits.com/">Emo Profits</a> | <a href="http://latinobucks.com/">Latino Bucks</a>

Have an idea and make it come to life! Gary-Alan's Avatar
    Originally posted by Lee
    Well i could have handled it for you hubby

But then you know how i would have reacted LMAO

Regards,

Lee
    Sweetie, I love you. I REALLY do. But I decided to vent with my fingers and not out loud to you because I know you would have dealt with it in a way I decided not to.

Beleive me the next person to piss me off like this will have to deal with both of us.

Hugs,
    Gary