Thread: Question for Bloggers and Admin Panel UPgrades

Question for Bloggers and Admin Panel UPgrades

Are you guys using the admin panel to do your upgrades? Most of the time, mine won't work and I end up having to do upgrades via ftp, which is obviously time consuming to say the least. If you are using the Admin to upgrade, and it works, have you had to change permissions, or add anything to your htaccess, or does it just work "out of the box" for you?

Hi Bec.

I think this is a hosting issue. What host are you using and when you installed Wordpress did you have to do it manually, or with your host's one-lick script? Like Fantastico etc.

I always install manually and even set up the database myself. I don't trust CPanel for some things because they've screwed things up royally in the past.

So yeah. I think this has something to do with the connection to your host. I had this issue when I was with Certified Hosting. Only with a few blogs though. It was odd. I'm with Host Gator now and don't experience the problem with them.

I've been using NatNet for a number of years now. I got really slammed with bot attacks and hacks about 3 months ago, and I'm still recovering from it. They've implemented a bunch of things to try and keep the server secure and I find I can update some blogs with the admin panel, and others won't. I can't narrow down a particular "something" that lets some upgrades from admin work and some fail. They do the databases and installations for me.

Just an update, I found out I just have to ask the host to "make the files writable by the web user." They went through and reset the permissions on every blog, and now I can upgrade from either the admin panel, or from the InfiniteWP, which I'm using to manage all blog upgrades from here on out. Just have to get all of my sites loaded into it and outdated WP, themes, and plugins will be a thing of the past!

LOVE 4 SALE OR LEASE SEX MONTHLY! :) longboardjim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bec View Post
    Just an update, I found out I just have to ask the host to "make the files writable by the web user." They went through and reset the permissions on every blog, and now I can upgrade from either the admin panel, or from the InfiniteWP, which I'm using to manage all blog upgrades from here on out. Just have to get all of my sites loaded into it and outdated WP, themes, and plugins will be a thing of the past!
    and just how easy is that all going to be? - LOL

hopefully nothing "tangles" in the process.

- jim

Just have your host install the InfiniteWP into a subfolder on a site of your choosing. Adding the sites doesn't take long, you just upload a plugin called iwp-client to each site, activate it, copy some code and paste it into the InfiniteWP admin area. It does a fast scan, adds the blog and promptly tells you what needs upgraded. You can upgrade just the WordPress version, or the plugins, or the themes, one site at a time, or can select to have it do your entire empire all at once. Right now I just do the one site as I add it in to be sure it will work properly with my ftp setting.

But I'm not just doing that ... so yeah, it's taking me awhile to clean stuff up and plug all the holes in the boat.

Glad to hear you got it sorted out Bec.

I do everything myself pretty much. This way if anything ever gets screwed up I know it was me who did it. LOL. I find hosting techs can be utter boneheads sometimes. But that's just me. It's my extreme case of OCD. I have it bad at times. I'm an absolute perfectionist.

hehe - yeah, you're a member of the A+ personality club! I'm the same way, and it often keeps me from a site project because I keep thinking it has to be perfect the moment I "open the door".

LOVE 4 SALE OR LEASE SEX MONTHLY! :) longboardjim's Avatar
    another member of the A+ personality club ... like the egyptians my pyramid will still be under construction long after I'm dead!

- jim " No! , No! , No! ... I want the pointed end down and the four corners up , can't you balance it that way? " - LOL

crackin up!