Thread: MYsql across servers...?

Have an idea and make it come to life! Gary-Alan's Avatar

MYsql across servers...?

Hey Luke!
    (or anyone else who read this LOL)

I'm using a php program (OSCommerce as a matter of fact) and need my secure server account to speak to my main server and the mysql database over there.

I asked tech support if I can do this and how... The response I got was:

"You should be able to access mysql on your main server from anywhere as long as you allow the IP's you want to allow in the mysql user table. The firewall on your server initially was not allowing connections on mysql's port but this has been corrected. Let us know if you have any problems."

Ok I know thats a YES! LOL

But I don't see the how. I read this... "as long as you allow the IP's you want to allow in the mysql user table." But HOW do I do that? Is this a shell command line operation to add the IP to mysql user table? Is it the specific database I'm looking at or mysql in general?

I have asked this question of support but haven't had a response yet. So in my impatience I thought I'd bug you!!

I really need to read a few books instead of trying to figure things out like this LOL

Thanks,
    Gary

first off it depends on how your server is set up, ie, are all your domains under one master domain like on a cpanel server or are they all individual entities like on an ensim or plesk server. If it is the first, you should be able to access across boundaries, I suspect that if this is the case the techie guys are talking about allowing the domain/IP thru htaccess security.

...but it really depends on how they set it all up for you.

cheers,
    Luke

Have an idea and make it come to life! Gary-Alan's Avatar
    As follow up I realized that through phpmyadmin I could infact setup a single account, associate it with a single database in mysql AND assigned a host so that it could work from specifc ip (in this case a secure server account). I tried it and it worked.

I did a recieve a response right after I did it, from technical services. That's exactly what they told me to do.

Impatience paid off this time around, I taught myself something new LOL

Thanks!
    Gary