Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do?

Tala

Sad What to do?

What would you do if the company you work for just wasn't working out?

I haven't been paid yet, but it's only the 19th and payday was the 15th. Maybe it'll be there tomorrow. Don't know.

Unless the boss wants something from me, I don't get any contact whatsoever. Nothing. It even seems as though he goes out of his way to ignore me....which would be evidenced by all the unanswered emails and icq messages.

Part of the deal for working for this company was my trade shows: airfare, room, and passes. I have yet to hear anything about Internext in the way of airfare. I've been told that I have a room, and a pass, but nothing on airfare yet, and everytime I bring it up, I'm ignored completely on it.

Suggestions are not implemented, though he says he wants to hear them. I'm having serious issues with being able to sell the program, especially since I feel so ignored. How am I to sell a program that treats its own employees like this??

Thanks for letting me rant. Normally, I would just tell the guy to shove it, but since it's my primary source of income until I find other work, I'm kinda stuck. Help! What would you do??

**EDIT** I want to make it very clear that it is NOT the company in my signature, sorry. DuoCash seems like a very good, stable, solid company.
    Last edited by Tala; 07-19-2004 at 10:57 AM.

fyrflygrl
    Hiya Tala,

I enjoy reading your posts, btw.. you're a 'well-written' gal and from what I gather, text is what you do (primarily).

If this company backs out of your Internext tickets... will you still be able to attend? Maybe you can suggest they rent a car for you if driving isn't totally out of the question... I believe you're a southern girl too, and someplace in Tennessee or Georgia, so driving isn't quite so bad. (But it's not as cool and easy as flying!)

I'd say wait it out atleast until after Internext... that way you can 'job seek' and network at the same time, if necessary.

Laurice

Tala
    Originally posted by fyrflygrl
    Hiya Tala,

I enjoy reading your posts, btw.. you're a 'well-written' gal and from what I gather, text is what you do (primarily).

If this company backs out of your Internext tickets... will you still be able to attend? Maybe you can suggest they rent a car for you if driving isn't totally out of the question... I believe you're a southern girl too, and someplace in Tennessee or Georgia, so driving isn't quite so bad. (But it's not as cool and easy as flying!)

I'd say wait it out atleast until after Internext... that way you can 'job seek' and network at the same time, if necessary.

Laurice
    Thank you.

If the company backs out of the internext tickets, then I'm S.O.L. The drive would be a 16 hour drive, and what I'd spend in gas and food would be just about equal to what I'd spend on a plane ticket. Granted, I love road trips, but I can't afford it right now.

And I did have my own ulterior motives for going, but now it looks questionable at best.

fyrflygrl
    Suckage!

Atleast you'll know with a certainty about continuing your relationship with them if they back out on the tickets....

Good luck, Tala... I hope everything works out and you make it to Internext *without hurdles*.

Laurice

Dzinerbear
    I'd suggest looking for another main source of revenue pronto. I think a late pay cheque is a big, screaming and flashing neon sign that there's trouble. You'll wake up one morning and find the company gone, the phones disconnected, and the website not in service.

Besides, do you really want to work for someone who doesn't even have the courtesy to reply to your e-mail.

I hope you find someone that's more appreciative of your talents.

Dzinerbear

Tala
    Originally posted by Dzinerbear
    I'd suggest looking for another main source of revenue pronto. I think a late pay cheque is a big, screaming and flashing neon sign that there's trouble. You'll wake up one morning and find the company gone, the phones disconnected, and the website not in service.

Besides, do you really want to work for someone who doesn't even have the courtesy to reply to your e-mail.

I hope you find someone that's more appreciative of your talents.

Dzinerbear

I love you, DBear.

The problem is that there aren't that many companies out there who need a writer/marketer. If there are, then I just am not looking in the right place. And I'm just about positive that I wouldn't be able to get a job before Internext. If I did, I probably wouldn't be going to the show anyhoo.

I'm trying everything I can think of to get down there. Talking face to face with people is one of my strong points, and I love to do it. I bet I could come away with at least several leads on jobs if not a job itself. :kitten:

On the other hand.... You have different fingers dirtygeek's Avatar
    I so agree with Dzinerbear about this. There are a few companies like that arround on the net. Big companies that we all know, but either don't pay until weeks after their paydays, or will just write you a bad check.

I'll check with the people I know and see if maybe someone is looking for a sex kitten like you for their company.
    You'll get more with a kind word and a 2 by 4 then you'll get with just a kind word.

Stunner Media Presents 8 great programs:
    IndieBucks | StandAhead | BoyCrushCash | Phoenixxx | <a href="http://hunkmoney.com/">Hunk Money</a> | <a href="http://nats.britishbucks.com/">British Bucks</a> | <a href="http://nats4.emoprofits.com/">Emo Profits</a> | <a href="http://latinobucks.com/">Latino Bucks</a>

Tala
    Originally posted by andymike
    I so agree with Dzinerbear about this. There are a few companies like that arround on the net. Big companies that we all know, but either don't pay until weeks after their paydays, or will just write you a bad check.

I'll check with the people I know and see if maybe someone is looking for a sex kitten like you for their company.
    "sex kitten"? Wow, that's the first time I've been accused of being that! I think I'm happy about the compliment!

Thank you andymike, your assistance is highly appreciated. U r teh r0x0rs!

i'm with Dzinerbear 1000% on this - a company that doesn't talk to you and doesn't pay you isn't a very safe bet if you need your check to live on.

look for another company pronto and in the meantime, why not write for webmasters? i have been turning down smaller writing jobs lately as my time is more than filled, but i used to write the blurbs for reality sites and text for paysites, and a lot of people contacted me.

i might be able to send a couple people your way if you're interested. one of those writing jobs even turned into a part time management opp for me.

what kind of marketing do you have experience with?

Tala
    Originally posted by basschick
    i'm with Dzinerbear 1000% on this - a company that doesn't talk to you and doesn't pay you isn't a very safe bet if you need your check to live on.

look for another company pronto and in the meantime, why not write for webmasters? i have been turning down smaller writing jobs lately as my time is more than filled, but i used to write the blurbs for reality sites and text for paysites, and a lot of people contacted me.

i might be able to send a couple people your way if you're interested. one of those writing jobs even turned into a part time management opp for me.

what kind of marketing do you have experience with?
    Nice.

I lived on my writing for about 2 years, so that's not an issue, and i still have my very first company as a regular client. I've also been featured on xbiz.com, ************.com, and ratedhot.com to name several. I submit 2 articles a week to them and several others.

However, a writer doesn't usually get paid much and can't often go to the shows. I love to write, but I'm a people person, and so I would love to be in sales or marketing for another company. I do very well with face to face marketing or through ICQ/email.

I don't have much marketing experience, and sadly, the company that's doing this to me is the first one for whom I've marketed. Not a good way to start out. However, if the list of contacts I have to go on is any indication of how many folks I spoke with, (several seeking ME out! I almost dropped dead at that - I didn't know I was THAT famous a personality!), then I could do very well for a company who wishes not only a marketing person, but a full-out PR person, able to write pretty much anything the company needs and mingle and talk and network with the best of them.

Thanks for all the support everyone. It means a great deal to me.

~Edited because I spell just fine. It's my typing that sucks.
    Last edited by Tala; 07-19-2004 at 04:36 PM.

Tala
    Well, it's official: I no longer work for icuChat.com. I wish Dennis the best, but let's just say that the parting was not on the most pleasant of terms.

Thanks for the support, everyone, but due to the loss of this job, I will not be attending Internext in Florida.

Dzinerbear
    I'm sorry to hear this. But I think you'll see soon enough that this is for the best. Close one door tight so other opporunities can present themselves.

Best of luck
    Dzinerbear

Tala
    Originally posted by Dzinerbear
    I'm sorry to hear this. But I think you'll see soon enough that this is for the best. Close one door tight so other opporunities can present themselves.

Best of luck
    Dzinerbear
    Thanks DBear. I appreciate the support. Hopefully a new door will open soon!

Man, that really sucks Tala ... I was looking forward to meeting up with you in Hollywood too! I know there are some things I could use text for and possibly some custom stories, but it wouldn't begin to see you into the $$ for the show.

If you don't land something full time do post and let us know if you'll take on little piece type jobs in the meantime.

Hugs

Tala
    I just got word that I WILL be in Florida, courtesy of Men's Niche. I'm so excited that I'm shaking.

Bec, I'd love to do piece work if there's any to be tossed my way. Can't wait to meet you!