Thread: Cabel Freakness... Anyone?

Have an idea and make it come to life! Gary-Alan's Avatar

Cabel Freakness... Anyone?

Ok We're having a very wierd happening over at Casa de GWW

We're on a cable modem connection that is shared via a Linksys Ethernet/DSL router.

Nothing compleicated here. Until Lee decides to hit ANY adult resource site, even GWW. When he does, the modem connection light starts fluttering and we get disconnected for a moment. The modem reboots and we're on again. It's the same thing that happens when the cable company sends a signal down the line (but I don't think that it's at)

This isn't happening to me at ALL. Just Lee's laptop. He's scanning for viruses or spyware now.

Has anyone experienced this? Share connections with one not being able to go to certain places?

I'm going to look at the Bright House Network support site now, but if you have any clues... Help?!? LOL

Thanks,
    Gary-Alan
    Traffic is like your cock -
    Play with it and watch it GROW!

Dzinerbear
    There are a couple of things I'll throw your way.

Ted and I have been having cable weirdness too.

Our cable supplier is hooking up with Yahoo, and they've been installing spam filters. So, now any e-mail that arrives with any adult content in the subject line gets tagged as [Bulk]. You might want to check with your cable supplier to see if these filters are going wonky, or if it even applies to you.

We have three machines hooked up through a router. Ted accidentally shared the entire c drive of one of them, and ever since then, the second computer has been weird. It has no resources to load anything, it says it doesn't have enough memory, but it does. There's a bunch of crap loading, but we can't figure out what it is.

Today, we couldn't get on the Internet at all. Ted eventually hooked the cable direct to the main computer, the Internet's working fine now.

I don't know if any of this helps.

Michael

Have an idea and make it come to life! Gary-Alan's Avatar
    Thanks for the info Dz!

Actually I found out that the modem itself went into a reboot loop. It happened to be our perception of what was going on verses what was really going on.

After getting a new modem from the cable company we now have to wait for a tech to come in a re-establish our IP. Why can't things be easy LOL

Dialup here we are for now!

GA
    Traffic is like your cock -
    Play with it and watch it GROW!

studpuppy
    Dzinerbear - a bit of insight on your problem. The errors or messages concerning resources - low etc... has to do with your system ram. This computer is loading and retaining many programs and dynamic link libraries into memory. Most of the libraries are normally released and the memory is freed for new use when the program or server has destoryed the created object or instance. Sounds like the setup configuration of the network is causing this computer to do all the tasking of the entire network. Remember the memory resources has nothing to do with available disk/drive space.

I would reconfigure the network with no shared drives especially if this network does live on the net - helps restrict viruses and worms. You actually might have totally reinstate the operating system on that troubled computer.

Hope that helps some but I can only guess without seeing it for myself and using some diagnosis tools.

Dzinerbear
    Thanks studpuppy, appreciate that.

I think we're on the verge on dumping the problematic computer and getting something new. It's really not much more than a 50 pound paper weight right now.

Cheers
    Dzinerbear

studpuppy
    Just thought of another cause. It could be that your DIMM card has gone bad. Happened to me several months ago on one of my computers. Really drove me crazy with all the low resource errors and other shit that it caused. $26 for the 128 MB SYN, DIMM, 133 card at Office Depot and all was well. It is easier to remove the old and install that adding a card in one of your slots.