Thread: What good is a PR ranking?

Rainbo1956

What good is a PR ranking?

Ok, it seems the more I learn, the less I know...

But really, what good is a Google pr ranking?
    I mean, I have sites and they're a pr4 and the other a pr3 and when I do a search on the key words I used as well as a search using parts of the domain name....alllll kinds of sites come up first with no pr ranking at all....my sites on the other hand, dont come up.

So, at the risk of sounding like a total nOOb....what the hell good is a google pr ranking anyway?

My site
    ezgaypersonals.com is a good example...
    Or, usatogay.com ...they have fairly good pr rankings, but like I said when I enter the keywords and or part of the names, they never come up.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated....cause I feel like a damn burn out, newbie, old and confused....

BDBionic
    Google PR is more and more obsolete with every day that goes by.
    The most relevance it has, for all practical purposes, is to serve as a tie-breaking factor between two sites with content and keywords that Google's spiders have rated as equal with respect to certain search terms.

So for example, you could have a PR 8 site but Google still might not feel that your PR 8 site is relevant to a specific search term like "gay butt sex", for instance.

So a site that it reads as being more related to gay butt sex will rank higher than yours for that search phrase even though it's overall PR might just be 1 or 2.

Now, if Google sees two sites it reads as being just about the same as one another with regards to "gay butt sex" - similar structure, linking schemes, keyword occurrence, text relevance, content, etc - and yours is PR 8 and the other is PR 2, you'll get ranked higher.

The thing with PR as returned on the Google toolbar is it's an overall rating for pages on the whole.

But pages themselves are returned in the results of searches individually, dependent on the search phrase used. Google PR as returned on the toolbar doesn't have anything to do with particular search phrases.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Originally posted by BDBionic
    Agreed unfortunately

PR could have been so much better if Google only marketed it properly

Regards,

Lee

Rainbo1956
    Originally posted by BDBionic
    The most relevance it has, for all practical purposes, is to serve as a tie-breaking factor between two sites with content and keywords that Google's spiders have rated as equal with respect to certain search terms.

So for example, you could have a PR 8 site but Google still might not feel that your PR 8 site is relevant to a specific search term like "gay butt sex", for instance.

So a site that it reads as being more related to gay butt sex will rank higher than yours for that search phrase even though it's overall PR might just be 1 or 2.

Now, if Google sees two sites it reads as being just about the same as one another with regards to "gay butt sex" - similar structure, linking schemes, keyword occurrence, text relevance, content, etc - and yours is PR 8 and the other is PR 2, you'll get ranked higher.

The thing with PR as returned on the Google toolbar is it's an overall rating for pages on the whole.

But pages themselves are returned in the results of searches individually, dependent on the search phrase used. Google PR as returned on the toolbar doesn't have anything to do with particular search phrases.
    Thank you for that....it's very clear and understandable.

I was starting to think I was :wacko:

Everyday in this biz, with me trying to do too many things at the same time...I'm starting to fall too far behind.

I can't wait till this stinking house of mine is done so I can get back to learning, listening and DOING more to make my sites prosper!!!

I only take small breaks to work on my sites and post on the boards (I come in from the sun, so I don't fry anymore of my brain cells...)

I hope by next year this time...all will be mocky socky!

Words paint the real picture gaystoryman's Avatar
    Hmmm, I tend to agree on how the PR ranking may not improve or even apply to a site's ranking in the SERPs but it does seem to matter for link trades with many other 'rated' sites so I don't think it should be discounted.

While high ranking in the SERPS themselves may be obtained by keywords within a page and other factors, PR links to other sites are also a valued source of traffic that shouldn't be discounted.

I also would think that the higher your PR the more chances you have of a quicker crawl for new pages and for their inclusion into the serps. I mean let's face it, not everyone is gonna be in the top 50, there is just too much competition, but the more pages you get listed, the more chances you have in other areas for higher listings. I think PR and its relevancy in link trades helps that process.

Personally, in my opinion too much emphasis is placed on single segments of the whole SEO plan instead of concentrating on an overall traffic scheme that uses SEO as a basis but not a sole means. I think we also lose sight of the fact that it isn't the SE we want to sign up, so we forget that our sites need to not just be well optimized for the spyders but for the surfer... or we get so anal we ignore the need for images or the opposite, for hard selling text.

just my limited observation though.

Ian
    Webmasters: Add Custom Stories To Your Sites Custom Gay Stories

My Blogs Gay Talk, Free Gay Fiction, Erotic Fiction Online

Xstr8guy

Re: What good is a PR ranking?

Originally posted by Rainbo1956
    My site
    ezgaypersonals.com is a good example...
    Or, usatogay.com ...they have fairly good pr rankings, but like I said when I enter the keywords and or part of the names, they never come up.
    usatogay.com... what an awesome domain name!