Thread: Linking, Linking, Linking....can u do too much??

nudemalez

Linking, Linking, Linking....can u do too much??

A friend once told me to get successful traffic to yr site you have to link, link, link, and link some more....and when u get tired of linking, do some more linking.

Does anyone agree with this philosophy, or is 'less-is-more' the case here...

Yr thoughts please...

On the other hand.... You have different fingers dirtygeek's Avatar
    Well i don't think you can do to much, but as lee told me the other day. "Doing it to soon can get you blacklisted from some search engines.)

I would just say keep an eye on server logs to see who's link is worth keeping and who's isn't. :specs:
    You'll get more with a kind word and a 2 by 4 then you'll get with just a kind word.

Stunner Media Presents 8 great programs:
    IndieBucks | StandAhead | BoyCrushCash | Phoenixxx | <a href="http://hunkmoney.com/">Hunk Money</a> | <a href="http://nats.britishbucks.com/">British Bucks</a> | <a href="http://nats4.emoprofits.com/">Emo Profits</a> | <a href="http://latinobucks.com/">Latino Bucks</a>

Words paint the real picture gaystoryman's Avatar
    In a general sense I tend to agree with that philosophy, that the more links you get the better off you can be... however there is a big BUT to that I think.

1. The risk of having non relevent sites linking to you might help your PR but won't help your position in the SERPS.

2. The risk of being lumped in with sites that get penalties simply because you exchange links with 'bad' sites.

3. Given the number of scamming webmasters that do exist, who buy domains by the boatload for the express purpose of cheating can have a negative effect on your own domain without you even realizing it.

4. Irrelevent links can turn a surfer off and ruin the reputation you have built up in a milisecond.

To me, my own linking philosophy is to try for links that will appeal to my surfer, that will not impact my own rappor with the surfer and above all else is relevent to my own theme & site.

It is one reason I have not linked to some sites, I mean I offer gay stories & books, linking to a site that has a splash page of Brittany Spears will not endear me to my surfers... even if that site is high PR or even linking to their gay section which still has her pic on it.

just my opinion though.
    Ian
    Webmasters: Add Custom Stories To Your Sites Custom Gay Stories

My Blogs Gay Talk, Free Gay Fiction, Erotic Fiction Online

Dzinerbear
    Here a good rule of thumb that I've always used and it gets me good rankings and lots of traffic.

I always design my pages as if someone at Google is going to look at them, you know to decide whether I should be booted or kept.

I worked with a guy a few years ago who discovered Google liked keywords in the title tag, and suddenly every page title had "Big Cocks, Huge Cocks, Thick Cocks ..." you get the idea.

More isn't always better.

Another thing I pay attention to when putting together a page: is this link going to add value to the page? Is it going to cross-link to another page of similar content, therefore increasing the chances that I'll sell something, but also increasing the chances that my surfer will find more of what they want.

I attended a SEO conference in May and the speakers repeatedly said, "Look, if what you're doing is adding value to a page or improving its surfability or enhancing your site in some way, it's legitimate, do it. If you're just doing it to get traffic, eventually you'll stumble and make a mistake and perhaps end up in hot water."

On every single gallery I put up, I place three thumbnails with text linking to similar galleries. For me, that's enough cross-linking. I could put a link to every single gallery I own on every single other gallery page, but I sincerely think that's overkill, unnecessary, and will eventually get me into trouble.

I hope this helps.
    Cheers
    Dzinerbear

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    If its being done to a NEW domain then i wouldnt link to it until it initially shows up in Google.

Once it starts showing up sporadically over a period of about 7-10 days then start adding new links to it from your existing sites

Regards,

Lee