Thread: Memory and CPU resource usage

macnyc

Memory and CPU resource usage

I recently moved to a new host - and was under the impression that I would be measured on bandwidth and disk space. Within a few days I started getting warnings about memoray and processer usage. I was running as follows:

2.12%CPU 10.64%MEM
    3.16%CPU 13.52%MEM

I have a picture site where I am getting about 1,500 visitors a day - does this seem right?

Also - do all hosting companies measure on memory and cpu?

Thanks
    Jim

It is feasable that you are using that much memory and cpu, are you running any php code? One biggie is things like bbs systems or dynamic page building software like nuke systems. A few other possiblities are any IRC programs, cgi scripts, stats programs, cron jobs, etc.

No, not all hosting companies measure on CPU and memory usage, however, most do have terms which allow them to either shut down a site or charge you more if you are running intensive programs, its just a failsafe when you are running on a shared server to ensure that all clients are getting a fair share of processing and memory power. For instance, we do not allow any IRC bouncers to run on our servers and this is specified in our t&c because those suckers can take a server down in minutes!

cheers,
    Luke

macnyc
    Thanks - I am running Coppermine - a PHP/MySQL based image gallery - and have high traffic - at least did till they shut me down. Not sure how to optimize it - or of any other image galleries that are more optimized. Any advice? Maybe I need to switch hosting sites again - argh!

Sorry, I have never run coppermine. You could check with their support to see if there are any recommendations like some programs have the ability to generate html pages to cut down on processing requirements, or some run better on systems with zend optimiser installed.

Good luck!

cheers,
    Luke