Thread: Yelling "Fire" on a Crowded Webmaster Board

BDBionic

Yelling "Fire" on a Crowded Webmaster Board

Which is to say... making accusations against companies, using forums as the go-to venue to air frustrations and get attention, and air dirty laundry in forums that should be handled between 2 individuals via AIM, ICQ, e-mail or phone.

Whereas forums can be a useful resource in sharing information about less than legit companies or getting the word out when someone's definitely up to no good - or even getting someone's attention when they're not answering your direct contact requests - all the time I see people going overboard with it.

Seems there are a lot of people who come running to a forum first sign of anything amiss whether they really have the evidence to back up the accusations they're about to make or have really sought to address the issue directly with the other parties concerned.

And that can cause serious damage to other webmasters. It's kinda scary to think you can be on vacation for a few days or have some kinda technical issues with your site (and thus linking codes, for example) being down or print out the wrong address on a payout check by accident or something like that and have it mean someone's going to go running off to the biggest audience they can find and start up some horrible rumor.

Do you think some people do this on purpose? Trying to get some bad attention focused on someone that's tickin' em off for whatever reason?

Or because they know it'll get a buttload of attention and so figure they'll get a quicker response since it's aired publicly and thus there's more at stake for whomever they're talking about to respond and remedy whatever the issue is?

Or do people just run to the boards first chance they get because they're such a popular resource and place to be?

Or do they not even consider what the possible effects of presenting hearsay, poorly researched conclusions, or confidential and privileged information are?

I love webmaster boards and what not, but see all the time people abusing them. Much like spam, posting something knowing it'll be seen by tons of people whether or not they're the least it involved with the post concerned, only cuz they know it'll get attention and failing to use a little discretion and better judgement.

Have an idea and make it come to life! Gary-Alan's Avatar
    Brian,

Things like this have been going on forever. Even when there was only two baords to got to and bitch.

Having had this done to me, or the companies I worked for at the time, I honeslty believe that it's a combination of everything you have mentioned above. I would put extra emphasis on this...

Or do they not even consider what the possible effects of presenting hearsay, poorly researched conclusions, or confidential and privileged information are?
    I can play case in point for each time I had to defend myself or something we were doing because of bad information or a momentary decision by someone to bitch (without even knowing something was going on).

I have never understood the concept of going to the board without having first attempted to contact the company or persons. Way back when, it was typically settled without further crisis and settled quickly. It was the exception to the rule... not the rule.

However with the number of venues we have out here now, and the types of venues available, it seems that it has become the nature of the beast. And, I hate saying that.

I have come to know, that one of the most difficult things to do online is to interpret someone's text to include emotion, facial movements and body language. I have also realized that one misinterpretation can lead to hours or days of someone festering with anger based on assumptions. Then again, it may not lead to a festering period but to a knee jerk reaction that will harm more than any good. Someday, I'll tell you about how someone did that to me and changed my entire career path based on the moron's assumptions of an AIM message.

If you look at the base of the people that do this, I am sure you are going to find that many of them lack some very essential skills in a professional sense. I beleive you will find that many do or did not have much experience in office settings, barely made it through careers in the stock rooms or never worked for more than a week at any given job. Perhaps I'm making assumptions now, however those I have come across have fit the pattern.

Now, after all attempts at contacting a sponsor or service provider have been ignored or gone unanswered then a message on a board to contact me is necessary. But i agree with you that it should be the LAST step and not the first taken.

Unfortunately, until people get a clue that this isn't the way to make things work, it will continue. No matter how much the majority will love to see it go away, there will always be someone who posts a bitch thread without thinking of the ramifications.

There are some pennies for the fountain

My Best,
    Gary-Alan
    Traffic is like your cock -
    Play with it and watch it GROW!

Words paint the real picture gaystoryman's Avatar
    Man I gotta find out where that fountain is... there must be a ton of pennies there by now.. <g>

I agree pretty much with all that's been said on the issue. I would like to point out though that a great deal of the whines or moans are coming from folks who yes are frustrated but who also haven't the foggiest on how to deal with online problems such as non payments, or whatever.

Part of the responsibility for that lies with the companies too, who don't have a toll free line or don't display their contact info in an easy to find spot.

If you go away for a few days, use an autoresponder which most hosts give you free, so at least the complainer gets some response.

I know I have to re evaluate how I do things simply because of the new filters for email being put in place by AOL and Earthlink.

In short I think we look to the uninitiated from jaded eyes. The average webmaster still uses dial up, does't know javascript from a cup of java... so we need to insure our contact info and complaint handling takes that into account.

My nickles contribution to the fountain.

Ian
    Webmasters: Add Custom Stories To Your Sites Custom Gay Stories

My Blogs Gay Talk, Free Gay Fiction, Erotic Fiction Online

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    You know in the last three years this has started to happen a hell of a lot more than it used to.

I was alays of the mindset that ANY issues no matter what they be be taken to email / AIM / ICQ first and foremost.

Unfortunately, todays adult webmaster isnt of the same wavelength.

I think the term that psychologists use for this behaviour is 'the GFY effect'.

Regards,

Lee

Words paint the real picture gaystoryman's Avatar
    How true, and i don't know, maybe its me but i see more anger coming out in posts than ever before, it is like people come expecting a fight or something.

Must be the times or the air or they just not getting enough sex... :wtf:
    Webmasters: Add Custom Stories To Your Sites Custom Gay Stories

My Blogs Gay Talk, Free Gay Fiction, Erotic Fiction Online

I think the GFY effect has had a lot of negative spinoffs, like sig whores. I used to go there every once in a while but I don't even bother any more, its just too much crap.

cheers,
    Luke

Originally posted by Chilihost
    I think the GFY effect has had a lot of negative spinoffs, like sig whores. I used to go there every once in a while but I don't even bother any more, its just too much crap.
    Whilst i would agree that most of the 'negative' stuff that seems to be infecting almost every board in the industry has ties to GFY i must also say that Joe has hit on a good thing and, is milking it for all it is worth.

At $3000 or so a month for a top banner on GFY he is making a killing revenue wise.

Of course with sig whores and the likes just as with other concepts in the past that have spawned from GFY they are starting to become less and less apparent as companies are starting to favor the more traditional marketing methods over paying individuals to post.

One thing that has started to take of as of late though are random contests for just posting in threads, hell we even have a few on GWW from time to time but, liek sig whoring, their lives will be relatively short lived at least until the next 'marketing' concept starts over there.

Regards,

Lee

helix
    Some things are better said via private communication between the parties involved.

It's no big secret that the industry has a lot of stressors on it right now. Forums should be used to share, help each other constructively and expose frauds (when absolutely necessary).

It has been said many times before, this is a business and as with any business ... a certain level of decorum and repect should be maintained.

A post can reflect on the poster as much as it does the subject or individual being discussed.

Larry

Helix Studios
    www.spankthis.com
    www.hotstuds.com

Originally posted by helix
    [B]A post can reflect on the poster as much as it does the subject or individual being discussed.
    Very well said :thumbsup:

Regards,

Lee

Lee, I understand that GFY is running a huge business and that their banners and sigwhores and such are all just part of that business, hell if I was running that board I am sure I would do the same. But from my pov, it is one place that I just can't even bother going to anymore! I like my home here thanks!!!

cheers,
    Luke

On the other hand.... You have different fingers dirtygeek's Avatar
    helix, I knew from talking to you that you a pretty smart guy. :specs:

I agree with Luke about GFY. There really is no point to going there. Other then just the random post to get clicks for a sponsor. Other then that, there is no real reason to go there. It's like a 3rd grade feild trip to the zoo. No one learns anything, but they all talk crap and break things.
    You'll get more with a kind word and a 2 by 4 then you'll get with just a kind word.

Stunner Media Presents 8 great programs:
    IndieBucks | StandAhead | BoyCrushCash | Phoenixxx | <a href="http://hunkmoney.com/">Hunk Money</a> | <a href="http://nats.britishbucks.com/">British Bucks</a> | <a href="http://nats4.emoprofits.com/">Emo Profits</a> | <a href="http://latinobucks.com/">Latino Bucks</a>

Chris Alan
    I hate when people hang out their dirty laundry on message boards. To me that is poor business ethics.

On the other hand.... You have different fingers dirtygeek's Avatar
    I could not have said it better myself! I am an adult, I run a company. If I have an issue with you (the company) I will come after you. I need no message board to help me. (Does that make since?)

Originally posted by Chris Alan
    I hate when people hang out their dirty laundry on message boards. To me that is poor business ethics.
    You'll get more with a kind word and a 2 by 4 then you'll get with just a kind word.

Stunner Media Presents 8 great programs:
    IndieBucks | StandAhead | BoyCrushCash | Phoenixxx | <a href="http://hunkmoney.com/">Hunk Money</a> | <a href="http://nats.britishbucks.com/">British Bucks</a> | <a href="http://nats4.emoprofits.com/">Emo Profits</a> | <a href="http://latinobucks.com/">Latino Bucks</a>