Thread: Bandwidth question

Scorpio

Bandwidth question

Ok, i'm trying to figure out what to do with my hosting.
    I'm currently with Bullhosting, and they are amazing.

I recently got free months of hosting with another hosting company which i had hoped i would have transfered all my sites to them, but unfortunately, it doesn't look like it's working great so i want to to stick with bullhosting.

They're kinda expensive (not that expensive).. and i want to be sure i have the right package to start my own site.

I'm not asking for exact infos... but just a rough idea.
    Like how much content (roughly do you have) with visitors... and how many gigs do you use. I would really appreciate anything as i don't know too much about bandwidth.

I guess i can start with small and update if needed... just wanted some feedbacks
    Thanks
    Steve

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Steve what are you going to be hosting on the server and what sort of traffic anticipations are you expecting?

Regards,

Lee

Dzinerbear
    Steve,

You can take a look at Velcom. I was just with them. For $19.95 a month you'll get 1500 mb of storage and 115 GB of transfers. Take a look at their site for more details on what that gives you:
    Velcom

I was with Velcom for over a year and they were great while I got my site going and built it to where it is today. They were reliable and I didn't experience much down time.

However, I recently just left them and moved to Chili Host because I found that more and more, as my needs changed, I was hearing from Velcom: "We don't support that, if you'd like us to look at it, it's chargeable."

As you know, I just installed a link list script. There were problems with Velcom because they didn't have all of the current requirements even though they said they did. So I had to wait. I recently had some htaccess issues, "
    We don't debug that. You can try this, but ..."

I wanted to do some stuff with using aliases, they would do one free then charge the rest. I'm still wanting to run a TGP so I have no idea what problems that would have caused.

A couple of weeks ago I moved to Chili Host. Yes, it's costing me three times the money that Velcom was, but I've got seven domains now, I'm running a link list, I have access to e-mail software that I didn't with Velcom, Luke solved an htaccess problem that has been plaguing me and MANcheck for over a year now, and I get absolutely amazing over-the-top support from Luke. So it's absolutely worth the money.

What I'm trying to say is that I outgrew them. If you're just starting out and don't need all of that, then Velcom might be a perfectly good outfit for you right now.

If you need any more info about them, let me know.

Cheers
    Dzinerbear

Steve, it really depends on what type of traffic you are serving. For instance, if you are looking at TGP galleries, your picture quality will be lower and on average visitors will only click on about 1/3 of your thumbs so you can effectively serve 50,000 page hits a day and burn less than 200G a month. However, if you are running a paysite and offering video downloads, 100 members can easily burn the same 200G each month.

Like Lee said, tell us about what you want to do and maybe we can give you a better estimate.

cheers!
    Luke
    (ps - Michael, thanks for the kind words!)