Thread: CC Bill

patandsam

CC Bill

Hello everyone,

I have some questions regarding CCBill. In particular I’m experiencing some issues regarding a security alert that my customers are seeing when they try to sign up.

It says “Revocation information for the security certificate for this site is not available. Do you want to proceed? Y-N-View Certificate”

Does anyone have any experience or information regarding this?

Thanks!

patandsam

Here is more info

I friend who reads here but doesn’t post send me some answers.

Here is what he sez:

RE: '' “Revocation information for the security certificate for this site is not available. Do you want to proceed? Y-N-View Certificate” What the fuck is “Revocation information” and how do I get it available? They’ll have to answer that for sure. What happens if you “View Certificate”? ''

Security Certificates are ''stamps of approval'' used by commerce websites to help reduce consumer concerns and provide a way of policing the online transaction biz.

The Cert is not kept by the commerce site (in this case CCBill) but by a third-party company which audits practices and procedures.

The problem here is that CCBill is either ''asking'' for the cert incorrectly, or has chosen to use a company whose servers can't respond quickly enough for their volume of traffic.

The actual path is something like this:

Join Page --> CCBill

CCBill tells the user's browser ''Check my Cert @ http://www...''

(It's either being done wrong, or the other site doesn't answer.)

The user's browser then pops that dialog up as a way of ensuring security - just in case the cert *has* been revoked.

The page *will* load behind the message, but it's confusing and frightening for users who have only average knowledge of how the web works.

CCBill's cert goes through http://www.thawte.ca - a Canadian company that was purchased by Verisign.

That's probably the issue - too many redirects getting to the database containing the cert info.

CCBill should probably investigate and possible change their setup so that it hits a Verisign server in the US instead of way up north.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Sam,

Have you sent an email to CCBill about this out of interest?

Regards,

Lee

patandsam
    Hi Lee,

Yes, I asked them about this. They basically said they didn't have any idea what I was talking about, but that they would "look into it".

Sounds like a blow off to me.

I've also noticed that my declines jumped dramtically in August, but they said they don't know anything about that either. Declines aren't something I have any control over, and I haven't advertised in any way, so I'm concerned.

Thanks for asking though.

studpuppy
    I haven't heard any compliants on this issue for quite some time. They started with the updated IE 5.0 version. You need to contact your server and ensure that they have updated their security certificates. The issue is with YOUR server and not CCBill.

patandsam
    I’m reasonably certain it’s not our server. The Alert occurs when *leaving* our site to go to CCBill's hosted form.

The cert which can't be found fast enough is *theirs*, not ours. We're not running a secure domain (we're ''http://'' instead of ''https://'') and we're not using encrypted pages (we're ''.html'' instead of ''.shtml'').

Thanks, but I'm afraid it's back to the drawing board.

:chef:

studpuppy
    When you receive that error there is an option to view the certificate - do that and take a screen print. It will tell you all the information you need and send that info to the owner of the server where the problem exists.

patandsam
    I peeked, and here's the story...

CCBill's cert goes through http://www.thawte.ca - a Canadian company which was purchased by Verisign.

That's probably the issue - too many redirects getting to the database containing the cert info.

SeanE
    Helllllooo Everyone...

We have not been able to replicate the problem. We spoke to Thawte also; they are also not finding any issues on their side. One thing that they are asking us is what browsers are being used when the problem occurs. Can any of you that are having this issue please email the browser type you are using? Any screen shots would also be helpful.

Sean@ccbill.com

Thanks for your help guys.

And P.S. how’s about a warm welcome for my first post!!!! Looking forward to getting on this board more often!

:thumbsup:

Evil Chris
    Welcome Sean....