Thread: Living In The Path of Destruction

Platinum Doug

Living In The Path of Destruction

I was going to post this in a different thread, but didn't want to be rude. Hopefully it doesn't offend anyone, but I'm curious.

Is it really worth it? I just have to ask because living in Toronto, we don't face any major disasters - unless you count the election of poor politicians! I think that happens the world over, from time to time. But living in some great destinations like the west coast (earthquake central) and Florida (home of the hurricanes) seems a bit like rolling the dice.

Is it just one of those things that you have to learn to accept - that if you want to live there, you have to be okay with losing every thing you own??? And is everyone okay with it???
    Last edited by Platinum Doug; 09-02-2004 at 12:54 PM.

RainGurl
    hi doug, good to see you here.

i've often wondered the same thing. i spent some time in the keys last year and really thought about moving there. The main obstacle would be the tropical storms/hurricanes (and the bugs.) Florida really has a lot to offer in the quality of life arena, especially if you love the water, boats, sunshine, etc. I would imagine the people that live there feel that the rewards out-weigh the risks. The same can be said for california with earthquakes. You always know the threat is there, but what you can enjoy in your day-to-day life takes precedence.

what i *really* don't understand is why someone would live in a mobile home in a hurricane area...

studpuppy
    I really think that most of the populated areas of the world have their own problems be it with weather, earthquakes, etc... Humans have always and will continue to build and live in dangerous areas of the world due to the rewards of the area.

I have lived in Florida for almost 30 years and except for Andrew and how Francis, have had no problems with hurricanes.

However, I am originally from Ohio - not quite as far north as you -- but up there. I just can't to the best of me understand why my ancestors or anyone would want to live in a place that is like a deep freezer for half of the year. Up there north of the border, you guys really get the deep freezer and thousands die from freezing to death each year. Winter storms damage power lines and homes.

I wonder why people would invest millions in San Francisco or Los Angeles due to the earthquakes.

Have an idea and make it come to life! Gary-Alan's Avatar
    Hey Doug!

I know what you're saying and even in my mad dash to get things coordinated with my family, I can honestly say that it is worth it. It's not like we have hurricanes every three weeks down here. Oops! Now we do. LMAO Of course I'm joking right now.

Storms like this are few and far between, typically. The last time the town I live in was evacuated was for hurricane Floyd, which actually did little damage. It did more damage in NY/NJ area than here.

For all of the effort going into preparations for this storm, I would say it's still worth living here. There is a quality to the life that I haven't experienced anywhere else.

These two storms coming in so close, is not the norm. But unlike tornados and earthquakes we knew this was coming a week ago. We have time to get ready.

Short of the worrying I'm doing right now, I can honestly it's worth it. There are far more days that are great, than many realize.

My best,
    Gary-Alan
    Traffic is like your cock -
    Play with it and watch it GROW!

You do make several vailid points Gary ... in that with hurricanes you do have some time to prepare and that it isn't a daily occurrence! As to the trailer homes ... for many elderly, it's affordable, and again ... they aren't dodging bad weather like what's going on now on a regular basis either. I would think that Florida would be a bit more prepared to help those folks though... even mandating some sort of underground shelter within trailer park communities.

Here in Ohio we have a 3 month spread that is ripe for Tornadoes, and those have little to NO warning .... and every bit as devastating and deadly. As to the cold weather part, it wasn't so bad in my younger years, but as I get older, I find it harder and harder to deal with. I can't get out and shovel anymore and the cold makes me ache. Plus rising fuel costs is making keeping a home here an outrageous monthly expenditure ... heating bills are unreal anymore.

Platinum Doug
    Originally posted by RainGurl
    hi doug, good to see you here.

what i *really* don't understand is why someone would live in a mobile home in a hurricane area...
    Thanks RainGurl! They don't let me out much, but I try and visit when they do!

As for the mobile homes, that's a very good point. If I was Florida, I'd seriously consider banning mobile homes or refusing to pay for huricane damage. The amount of carnage caused by the storms is just too great.

Originally posted by Gary-Alan
    It's not like we have hurricanes every three weeks down here.

For all of the effort going into preparations for this storm, I would say it's still worth living here. There is a quality to the life that I haven't experienced anywhere else.

These two storms coming in so close, is not the norm. But unlike tornados and earthquakes we knew this was coming a week ago. We have time to get ready.
    Hehe! It’s nice to see you can keep your sense of humor about it!

I guess being prepared is key. That comes on many levels though – prepared to live someplace that shouldn’t be affected by hurricanes, prepared to stop life and evacuate, prepared for any financial loss the downtime will cause and ultimately prepared to deal with anything that could happen and rebuild life and luxury after.

I’m glad you’re comfortable with it all and I’m sure it won’t be as big a deal as it could be. You have your mobile home tethered down tight, right?

Originally posted by Studpuppy
    Up there north of the border, you guys really get the deep freezer and thousands die from freezing to death each year. Winter storms damage power lines and homes.
    Good call! Mind you, I usually only hear of a person or two who die a year due to cold. Most cases it’s a guy who’s shoveling his driveway and has a heart attack or an old lady who gets tired and sits down while walking down a road and falls asleep and we don’t find her till the Spring after all the snow that snowplows have heaped onto her thaws. If you want to include accidents due to ice and frost bite and other things of that nature, I’m sure the cold does more widespread damage than a hurricane. Why is it that I’m still living here again?? GA, I’m coming to live with you in your flying trailer!

Platinum Doug
    Originally posted by Bec
    for many elderly, it's affordable
    Hmmm . . . it’s affordable, but not practical. I wonder if there is another affordable solution that would be possible. Maybe something government subsidized?? Some form of low-cost fixtures that could withstand hurricanes? Concrete (but made much prettier, somehow) enclosures you would park your trailer in?? I’m grasping at straws, but to even see the devastation on TV and know that some of it is preventable, I figure there’s got to be a better way!

CamZ_Dan
    Yes Florida is a fantastic place to live.

Ghaleon
    I am originally from Puerto Rico, which has many hurricanes too. So I remember my parents freaking out and getting the whole family involved in order to get ready for the hurricanes when they came. This meant buying food and supplies, taking everything from the yard to inside the house, covering all doors and windows, and more. Of course, since I was a little kid, all this was a lot of fun and exciting. Plus we had no school. :-)

Remember, the west coast has earthquakes, and the mid west has tornados. As far as I know, you don't know in advance when they are going to hit. You do with hurricanes, so you can get ready. At least that's what my mother told me when she said she could not understand how could I live in California with all these earthquakes, and I told her she had hurricanes.

My thoughts are with all the people in Florida.