Thread: Life after Hurrican Frances

studpuppy

Life after Hurrican Frances

Well it has been a long time since I was able to visit this board. I would like to thank those who emailed encouraging notes prior to the storm.

We finally got our power restored earlier today and I just got my telephone service back a hour ago. Eleven (11) days just seemed to be forever. About 1/3 of Indian River County power has been restored with an expected completion date of Sept 19th.

A bit of information of our experiences for those of you in the path of Hurricane Ivan.

Don't get too upset when you see power going on to businesses just across the street or a few blocks from your home. They have to work in a grid pattern and they are trying to get a lot of the support businesses up and running.

You'll fall on your knees and pray he moment you finally get a couple of bags of ice. Long lines with sometimes 6 hours wait just to have the ice run out a couple of people ahead of you. Be patient, you finally get some and that first COLD DRINK of soda or water is well, I can't describe it.

Be prepared to eat a lot of canned tuna, crackers, cookies, potato chips etc...

Rush out and buy a Coleman propane gas camping stove or grill. We finally got one four days after the storm and the hot coffee, soup, etc... was wonderful. When the stores got meat restocked, I put on a cookout for my entire condo.

Get a transistor radio -- believe me the noise is heaven while the long days and nights of silence is hell.

Batten down your home -- take it serious. Ivan is a really bad storm. While Frances only hit us with about 90 mph winds, it really destroyed the electrical, telephone systems. We had a lot of blown out windows, roofs blown off, downed trees, etc... If the storm would have been stronger like Ivan, I think my county would have been totally wiped out.

I could go out for hours about all the things that all of us take for granted that you will loose for days, weeks, or longer, but perhaps it would be just redunant. Rest assure that your life will be worse than what they show on TV.

I pray to the Lord that all of your in Ivan's path will be safe.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Glad you are safe and well.

Mom + Dad only got power back last wednesday from Frances to luckily we were unaffected.

Regards,

Lee