Thread: Alexa popup penalties

Alexa popup penalties

I watch my Alexa ratings quite often but had been busy lately with tons of shooting and new web development. About a week ago I revisted the Alexa site to see how my site was ranking. I had gone down almost 1,300,000 in rankings~!

I was shocked.. but soon realized the reason was because I had a popunder on my front page. I took the popunder off and BAM! back to close to normal.

I'm not sure if Alexa penalizes for front page popunders or their engine just doesn't know how to handle them ( which I find hard to believe ).

I just wanted to give you all a heads up! :-D

Evil Chris
    Yeah Alexa is strange. I think they've done a few changes in their rankings system over the past couple of months because all of the sites that I monitor have lower numbers than usual.

I initially thought it was just my own sites, but I had a look at a lot of different ones, and everyone is down.

I don't put a lot of gravity to their ratings anyhow.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Like Chris i dont really put much weight on the traffic stats Alexa reports for the plain reason that their stats are so easy to manipulate its unreal.

For example, if i used the Alexa toolbar and constantly refreshed the front page of GWW for 3 hours our traffic / rankings would go through the roof.

Regards,

Lee

retrograde
    Originally posted by Lee

For example, if i used the Alexa toolbar and constantly refreshed the front page of GWW for 3 hours our traffic / rankings would go through the roof.
    I didn't know it was that easy. Bah, worthless.

Sounds like a fun experiment!! he he