Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have You Installed SP2 From Microsoft Yet?

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

Have You Installed SP2 From Microsoft Yet?

Im considering installing it today.

Has anyone already done so and, if you have, what are the main things that i should look out for if i do install this service pack?

Regards,

Lee

RainGurl
    i have not installed it as i've heard some horror stories about it...harlan maybe?

I've installed it and without turning this into a bitch session I will just say that, depending on your system configuration, you should expect to spend quite a bit of time configuring it to work correctly with everything. It has it's own firewall, popupblocker and stupid little messages popup in the bottom left hand corner if it doesn't recognize your virus protection software or firewall.. telling you to install one and when you disable these messages.. they don't go away. Bleah! he he

I do like the popup blocker though!

Drag is when a man wears everything a lesbian won't. Harlan's Avatar
    LEE

DO NOT INSTALL SP2!!!!!!!!!!!!

Excuse me for shouting but EVERYONE I know who has installed it has had prpblems from minor annoyances to needing to do a clean reinstall of Windows.

Smart money is waiting on the next verion of the SP...or maybe even the one after that!
    PrideBucks - the home of CircleJerkBoys, TrueTwinks, BoysGoneBad & MenOver30.com

Am I Bitter?...Absolutely nicedreams's Avatar
    I installed it on 6 computers here when it came out, and have not had one problem.

Jim

Gay Amateur Paysites / Solo Twink Paysite
    Nice Dreams Cash
    http://www.nicedreamscash.com

Originally posted by nicedreams
    I installed it on 6 computers here when it came out, and have not had one problem.

Jim

You see.. ya just never know. I have a wireless network in my house and when I installed PS2 on one machine.. the wireless newtwork wouldn't work.. then I had to install on all the other machines.. but of course they no longer had internet access so I had to uninstall PS2.. download PS2 from the MS website from each computer ( because you cannot download just one file. you have to goto the update website and let their system do it )

The most irritating thing for me personally is having a hardware firewall, software firewall and virus protection installed.. and having the stupid little MS popups in the bottom right hand corner of my screen telling me my computer is at risk because it doesn't see virus protection, or a firewall, installed! Of course I had to disable the built in SP2 firewall because it screws with my wireless network firewall and makes communications crawl between computers.

Bleah.. ok. All done. It's 6:25AM here.. to early for negative vibes he he.. back to my Irish Cream coffee and work :-D

D-man
    I have it on this box for going on two weeks now - had no problems since and it seems to catch most trojans and adware - I am liking it so far - as with any software it will depend on your system and it's condition

I have also heard if you have had a lot of adware and trojan problems then it's best to do a fresh install XP then upgrade to SP2

which make sence to me

robin
    I installed it a few weeks back with NO problems during the install and it works just fine.

As squirt noted there's all sorts of new goodies and settings that come with SP2. You may need to tweak your system afterwards.

Make sure you backup your computer. Make sure you also create a restore point by using your System Restore Wizard.

The download took me 30 mins on cable and 30 mins for the actual install.

Hehe thanks for the ICQ Harlan

Well i gotta say i installed it a little earlier this afternoon, ive tried all of the applications i use regularly and i gotta admit, not had any problems as yet :thumbsup:

[touch wood] Hopefully it will remain that way

Regards,

Lee

Dawgy
    you do realize that SP2 is the last update you will ever do manually... microsoft now has full authority and power to update your machine with their software in the background without asking you. dont believe me? leave your machine on one nite, the next day when you come in, itll have updated itself and reboot, and have a message on the screen telling you so.

im sure there is a way to disable this "feature" but i bet its very well hidden.

privacy & choice are things of the past.

james_clickmemedia
    Installed sp2 yesterday and so far no problems. However I did check their site first to ensure I did not use any programs that are know to have a problem with sp2.

Hehe actually Dale that was the first thing i turned off LOL

I never update my machines unless i have to, past experience has caused me more problems than solutions by running auto-update.

Regards,

Lee

Lee I would HIGHLY recommend you install SP2 for 2 reasons:
    - it closes up a lot of security loopholes and ms code f-ups
    - everyone else in the world is getting it auto-installed including all your surfers

The first reason is obvious and you can chose to live with or without the security but don't forget that second reason. Case in point - I just got a lovely new laptop and immediately updated it with SP2 (quite safely & without issues) and cruised a few of my free sites and found out that the new SP2 forces them to behave differently....I was using target frames in my href tags and with SP2 it treated them as popups therefore making it near impossible to get to my paysite!

I was losing sales for a few weeks until I discovered this and I would not have found it without installing SP2. I corrected the problem and immediately saw an increase in traffic & sales. Think about it!!!!!

cheers,
    Luke

desslock
    I have installed SP2 on my laptop. As with any Microsoft service release it clearly earns a mixed bag of positives and negatives.

Harlan is probably correct in its headaches. That Firewall thingy is really annoying and not at all ready for prime time. However, because I have surfers using this on my sites, it probably a good idea to see how it works.

A lot of that Firewall junk brings up a lot of problems for us webmasters too. Popup blockers that reportedly block legitimate windows from opening.

Another bad problem is how the firewall can potentially be adjusted to block all third party cookies, and / or 3rd party cookies from specific domain names. I made it a point to look in my IE Security Settings, and there aren't any domains blocked by default. However, that will not stop SpyWare/AdWare cleanup programs from putting ccbill's or ibill's servers in there as part of a long list of others to block their cookies.

In fact, do any of you guys know if the firewall programs or internet security program do block our popular adult affiliate domains? As a non-adult example, I know that they block Commission Junction and Google Adwords.

In fact, after I installed Norton Security for a test and saw how it blocked out a significant portion of my affiliate links - I have gone to making my own link redirects to get around that.

Steve

imqueer
    Lee I've installed it on this Lap top NOT one problem runs faster imo Havent tried it on my main pc too damn scared since that is the main pc where I do my deisngs heheh Good luck
    TOM