Thread: opinions on link site software

Dawgy

opinions on link site software

looking to setup a fairly simple link site, but i want some good scripts running it. anyone have any they like & recommend?

DigitalJay
    PHPNuke - it dosn't get any easier or better than this. Run an entire adult portal with one easily customizable and expandable script package. You can setup a simple site with it, but the sky is the limit on expandability.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Check out Power / Turbo Seek from http://www.focalmedia.net that is the basis of what we use to run the GWW directory

Regards,

Lee

Dzinerbear
    I use xpowerlinks to run Bear Universe. Now that it's up and running, I'm fine with it. However, before I started I had a full head of hair, now, you can see in my avatar I'm completely bald.

There are a couple of problems with xpowerlinks. (1) The software was developed by a Russian guy and while his English is pretty good, I found the manual almost completely useless. He would do himself a favour if he would have a native English speaker write the manual. (2) The manual is written by a tech guy, so he unknowingly assumes that you know what you're doing. I've always maintain that software manuals should be written by the company secretary or lunchroom cleaner, not the tech people who developed it – they can't write useful manuals. (3) Much of the HTML code seems to have been written to work well in IE, but is problematic in fussier Mozilla browsers.

Like I said, I played with it for a couple of weeks and had some help from a tech guy at work and Luke from ChiliHost, and it's okay now. But I wouldn't want to go through that again. A couple of times I was so frustrated that I almost called PayPal and requested a refund.

I think xpowerlinks is a good product, it just needs some improvement.

Cheers
    Dzinerbear