Thread: domain name registration and hosting

eclipse

domain name registration and hosting

Hi,

I am fairly new to the field, and was wondering which place you recommend for registering your domain name, and possibly a hosting company. I need something reasonably priced, and a host that is ok with adult content. I am just starting out, so my site will be a place holder for an amount of time, and to market my exclusive content to webmasters in the field.

Please make some recommendations. I checked out the mainstream sites for domain registration, and quite frankly, their prices seemed quite high.

http://www.GKG.net is great. Domains are $8.49 to register and they give you a free parking page which I've used to put doorway pages to my other sites for free :-D

Takemytaco
    Hi eclipse,

For registrar.
    I only use directnic.com $15 per year
    - godaddy is cheaper but I wouldn't recomend it - (I've heard so many bad stories about them).

Originally posted by Takemytaco
    Hi eclipse,

For registrar.
    I only use directnic.com $15 per year
    - godaddy is cheaper but I wouldn't recomend it - (I've heard so many bad stories about them).
    what stories have you heard about GoDaddy? I was thinking of recommending them, but just started using them on a couple of domains.

Takemytaco

Words paint the real picture gaystoryman's Avatar
    For domain registration I use 1and1.com which is $5.99 and they are ICANN registered and are quite good.

For hosting I have heard a great deal of complimentary things about chilihost here at GWW so I'd take a look there.

directNIC is too expensive for me as I can get 2 for the price of 1 and haven't had any problems with 1and1 who also do hosting but I couldn't say if they accept adult.

hth
    Ian
    Webmasters: Add Custom Stories To Your Sites Custom Gay Stories

My Blogs Gay Talk, Free Gay Fiction, Erotic Fiction Online

Damn that sucks about gaypervs.com! So many loopholes to just fuck someones business up without warning in this industry.

Originally posted by Takemytaco
    I'm Sorry for posting other board links

http://thinkreel.com/showthread.php?...hlight=godaddy

http://gofuckyourself.com/showthread...hlight=godaddy

This one about how AcidMaX lost gaypervs.com

http://www.greenguyandjim.com/board/...t=gaypervs.com

eclipse
    1and1 is a name that I was considering for the domain name registration. I am also not sure about there policies regarding adult hosting. I guess I should shoot an email out to them.

Now, condsidering I am starting out small, I am fine with going with a hosted solution, However I do already own an enterprise server with 8-way cpu and loads of array space. I may want to consider utilizing that machine for the website at some future point. It would be very nice to keep it on my rack at my home, but getting an internet connection of enough speed to my home would be a problem. I guess I could host other sites as well, but thats a direction I really didnt want to go in.

desslock
    Eclipse:

I started doing this back when there was one and only one registrar. If you want my advice, I suggest that you stop shopping for just some el cheapo company (I've known numerous people who registered names only for the companies to dissapear a year or three later).

I personally use Network Solutions for a domain that I am serious about. If it is for a site that I am playing with, I register the domain with GoDaddy.

People complain about how expensive Network Solutions is, and my attitude is sure they aren't the cheapest guy on the block.... but that's not the end-all of a business decision. They are a real company, traded publically in New York. I've been using them since 1996. And frankly, $35 (or less) a year is peanuts as far as expenses go.

If you aren't going to make that back in a whole month (much less a whole year) then why go through all the trouble. Compare the start up costs we incur for a new website buiness, and that is peanuts to almost any other real business venture.

Just thought I'd pass on a different opinion. Good luck on your venture, no matter what path you pursue.

Steve

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    We personally use a couple of places to register our domains..

http://www.joker.com and http://www.directnic.com

We use Joker because sometimes the exchange rate works out to less tha $5 per domain and they have all the admin tools to manage the domains we need.

We use Directnic because Gary knows one of the owners

For hosting, i can suggest you check out http://www.webair.com http://www.nat-net.com (more pricey but worth every cent) and of course, Lukes http://www.chilihost.com

Regards,

Lee

Dzinerbear
    I have used GoDaddy for about 1.5 years. I haven't had a problem with them.

I started my sites with Velcom.com, they're cheap. Don't expect great service. Their service was fairly dependable, I didn't have any huge technical problems with them and my sites seems to be up most of the time. But if you're needing extra hand-holding or advice, forget it. When I needed that I moved to ChiliHost, best service I've ever had from a host. Luke's the best.

Cheers
    dzinerbear

I have to agree with Steve on this one. I've used Network Solutions exclusively since day one. I have invested years in my sites and the security they provide gives me peace of mind, knowing my domain won't get hijacked.

ICANN (the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers) has changed the domain name transfer policy for all accredited domain name service providers. The prior policy allowed you to expressly approve a transfer request with your current domain name service provider before any transfer would occur. The new policy, however, eliminates this express approval safeguard, removing an additional protection against unauthorized transfer requests.

Network Solutions has a system in place to block those unauthorized transfer requests, and I for one think its an invaluable service.

I don't know if other registation services offer this protection, but I'd start looking into it if you are not sure.

Originally posted by MWCren
    Network Solutions has a system in place to block those unauthorized transfer requests, and I for one think its an invaluable service.
    What system do they have in place that protects you?

They have a Domain Protect feature that is being applied to all domains registered with them starting October 18. I received their email not too long ago and haven't gone to see if there is an extra fee for this or not, but it closes the ICANN loophole for Network Solutions clients.

This is how they describe it:
    To further enhance the security of the domain names you have registered with Network Solutions and to protect you against unauthorized or fraudulent transfers, we will activate our free Domain Protect service for all of your domain names beginning October 18, 2004.

Our Domain Protect feature blocks domain name transfers until you, or your designated contact, turn the feature "Off." This step allows you to control the "transferability" of your domain names, and provides protection against "domain hijackers."
    Just something to think about. I'm sure 99% of the domains out there will never get hijacked, but it would really suck to be one of the few.

I use cheapestregistry.com and godaddy.com for domain name registrations. Cheapestregistry is an enom reseller and the guy that runs it, Eric, is good value.

And for hosting, I would love to assist you, just send thru an email to sales@chilihost.com and we can chat about getting you on the right account that will allow you to grow.

cheers,
    Luke