Thread: a question for everyone...

Dawgy

a question for everyone...

you know... i had this huge post typed out about the holiday season, and how people seem to only care about others from november to december.... and i got to the end and realized it really came down to two questions...

what are you doing - every day - to make a difference?

why not?

desslock
    Dawgy -

An interesting clause to your question is "every day" --- why is every day so important?

Still to give a quick answer to your question - I am the election judge for the November election in my local neighborhood precinct.

I always enjoy doing this at every opportunity. I've worked all of our elections here since I moved over here six years ago. (in Austin we just love having elections it seems) You learn about the election process. You get to meet others who do it. Plus, it is neat helping all my neighbors.

And when I go to the grocery store or go for a walk around here, it's nice to wave or say hello to the folks you know from those occasions.

Steve

DigitalJay
    I try to raise money everyday to start my GLBT biz that will proceed AIDS Research and Breast Cancer Research. Ok, so I'm not doing anything yet, but I'm trying hard. I really want to make a difference!

Every day I'm raising my son. He is a great leader and will most likely be heterosexual. Another Straight man in the world that really knows what being homosexual is about can only help deepen the understanding of other heterosexuals.

I've also created websites that I make content for. These sites bring joy to thousands of people all over the world. Through my abilities I bring them gorgeous men they fantasize about at a low monthly price. :-D

I think of myself as a long distance electronic sexual accessory that people enjoy from time to time. Being in adult entertainment we all provide something fundamental to the human condition.. the ability to connect with others in the most intimate way and obtain the ultimate condition of heightened euphoria the body can naturally accomplish... and orgasm. When people are down what we do makes them feel better. Those less fortunate feel inspired and empowered by what we create and share with them. I feel good knowing the work I do makes people feel exceptional every day :high:

i think about that a lot, dawgy. every year, resturants and organizations put on big spreads for homeless people on thanksgiving and christmas. seems like it would be better to buy lots of cheaper food like rice or pasta and feed the homeless every day.

holiday dinners are a nice thought, i guess, but being hungry sucks any day you have no food.

on the other hand, most years i get at least three free turkeys and get to donate them to apla or a local church that feeds the needy.

i donate money and food when i can. i regularly drop food by a couple local churches that feed people. i also donate canned goods to apla. my thought is that first, before corrupt politicians get paid with donations, all people deserve to eat. did you know up to 70% of money donated to a lot of charitable organizations goes to their officers? i want what i spend to actually help someone, not to pay a ceo.

Ok fine if we're going to be totally serious about helping others I'll give you my experience. When I was 18 I volunteered at an old folks home. It changed my life and my outlook on helping others as well as my view of aging and what to expect. I honestly couldn't handle it after 6 months.

Then 4 years ago I guided the inception and creation of the Volunteer Center of Orange Counties website. At the time you could go online, type in your interests, zip code etc. and find volunteer opportunities in your area. I felt I was helping in that way.

I think a lot of people see giving back as a duty. People give at church, give on TV shows, give when they see a commercial that moves them to donate, etc.

I've found that when you're called to help you do it. You rise to the occassion and take a chance on someone, lend a helping hand when you see someone needs it. I don't believe in institutionalized "giving" anymore either basschick, but I do believe things happen for a reason and when you're presented with an opportunity to do good then do it.

I don't give out of guilt. I give out of wanting to make things better. There is also a fine line between enabling someone and making a difference in their life. :angel:

Squirt - i guess i have a different take on this.

if someone needs food in order to keep from going hungry, i don't see a way that could be enabling. i'd rather see people fed even if it takes a feeling of duty or guilt to feed them. imo, no person should go without food or warmth.

desslock
    I think people have weird ideas about charity. Just do what you can. It's pretty easy to simultaneously find ways to give back to the community, and enjoy it.

Also, most of us are in our "busy worktime years" -- that is 25 - 55.
    I know a number of people who are retired and since they have a much greater amount of time to allowcate, they actually do stuff on a frequent daily basis. For example, a friend of mine answers the phones during our local classical radio station's pledge drives.

Here in my precinct, the alternate election judge is a septogenarian retired school teacher, and she always helps at all the Austin Symphony shows; she takes tickets, takes people to their seats, etc.

I guess what I am saying is that if you are working full time, raising kids, moving up in a career, then don't feel guilty because you can't take time off every day to help somewhere.

Still for me is that I enjoy finding ways to exercize my civic duties :elf: :elf: :elf: There are always enjoyable and easy ways.

Steve

i agree with you, but if everyone simply bought 6 extra cans of food each time they went to the store, and then donated them to a reputable charity, think of all the people who could be fed!!!!! and at almost no cost of time whatsoever.

yet almost no one does this...

Originally posted by basschick
    Squirt - i guess i have a different take on this.

if someone needs food in order to keep from going hungry, i don't see a way that could be enabling. i'd rather see people fed even if it takes a feeling of duty or guilt to feed them. imo, no person should go without food or warmth.

Yeah we agree. My comment about institutionalized giving was in relation to your comment "my thought is that first, before corrupt politicians get paid with donations, all people deserve to eat. did you know up to 70% of money donated to a lot of charitable organizations goes to their officers? i want what i spend to actually help someone, not to pay a ceo."

That is why I don't give money, etc. Intinutionalized giving.

"imo, no person should go without food or warmth."

I agree.

Listen .. a large part of my childhood was spent being part of the system. Part of my childhood I was raised in foster care and group homes. I was on the receiving end of all the holiday "do gooding" When I lived in a group home it was strange seeing the people in the neighborhood who tried blocking the state from establishing the home, all of a sudden durring the holidays become warm welcoming people, then after the holidays, start giving us the "you are trash" looks again.

Being part of the system you see how a lot of people take advantage of it, how some become dependent on it, and how others try and work hard to get out of it. Food and warmth are important and donating food, or other hard goods, is a great way to give. Some would say that they give every year when they write out their check to the IRS :angel:

the irs - that's not a donation, that is what runs the country. i just don't understand how some people can turn their back on starving and other people in need.

one year i was doing the aids walk, and i asked my apt manager for a pledge. he was carrying a MASSIVE pizza with everything on it. his reply i remember verbatim 'cause it was so startling to me. he said emphatically "Patti, I'm not made of money. The government takes care of these things".

i told him for the cost of 2 less toppings on his pizza, he could help people who the government didn't help - he sort of ignored that comment.

it's so sad that some people would rather have pepperoni on their pizza than do without one topping and spend $5 on canned goods to help those who have no food or to help buy medicine for those who cannot afford it.