Thread: Norton and htaccess

Xstr8guy

Norton and htaccess

I may have posted this before... but I couldn't find anything with 'search'.

Norton sometimes causes problems when surfers try to enter my AVS sites. I don't have Norton, so I can't tell people how to configure the program to allow entry.

Does someone have a link to information for surfers? Norton's site has NOTHING about the problem.

baddog
    hmmm, I just had one of my member's experience that same thing . . . think I will send hi an email and find out gow he took care of this problem.

I will try to remember to pass along the info . . . or I will post it on my AVS

baddog
    The info I have so far is:

it seems there was a firewall setting in my Norton Intenet Security that prevented my browser from entering passwords to the site

Xstr8guy
    Yes, changing the firewall setting seems to do the trick. But telling a surfer to disable his firewall can sound kind of scary (for the surfer).

Blue Spade
    Originally posted by Xstr8guy
    Yes, changing the firewall setting seems to do the trick. But telling a surfer to disable his firewall can sound kind of scary (for the surfer).
    The only really safe option you have is to place a step by step walkthrough that is noticible for norton users. The downside is that even with a hand holding tutorial on changing the firewall settings there is always that scare of the unknown instilled in the surfers.

Down with Norton!

Xstr8guy
    The thing that confuses me... when I get these emails from surfers, they always make it point to say that it's only my sites that they can't get into. Why is that?

btw... nice avatar, Blue Spade

Blue Spade
    Originally posted by Xstr8guy
    The thing that confuses me... when I get these emails from surfers, they always make it point to say that it's only my sites that they can't get into. Why is that?

btw... nice avatar, Blue Spade
    Thanks

Could be a socio type thing . . . you are always the biggest fuck up when you are caught! I wouldn't pay much mind to it other than getting ahold of your hosting companies support and asking them if they have any advice for you.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    The scary thing about this is..

Service Pack 2 is now stopping consoles, Nortons Firewall is blocking access for some.. whats going to happen next :eek:

Regards,

Lee

Words paint the real picture gaystoryman's Avatar
    OH my aching head.. what next? That's scary to think of.

One note for anyone who complains about not gaining access or getting wrong username/password and they have the latest zonealarm.. tell them to check their id lock.. if on it can block out the registered username/password that you have placed in the vault. It also will change the password you think you register with if set to high... just a FYI

Ian
    Webmasters: Add Custom Stories To Your Sites Custom Gay Stories

My Blogs Gay Talk, Free Gay Fiction, Erotic Fiction Online

robin
    Not that this will help your surfers but...

My partner got so sick of Norton Internet Security that he's disabled it and bought a hardware firewall instead. He's still got Norton AV; it was just the rest of Norton that slowed things down and screwed things up.

Dzinerbear
    xstr8guy,

I get this regularly, too. Just my sites and another guy's. We haven't figured out a fix for this except for the "disabling the firewall" thing.

It's frustrating.
    Dzinerbear

Xstr8guy
    So, short of wiping Norton from the face of the earth, nothing is going to solve this problem?

I just worry about all the surfers that are to afraid to ask for help. I would like to see AVS/AEN systems include some help for the surfers with this problem. They need to include this info on their help pages.