Thread: Party tags on absentee ballots worry election watchdogs

Party tags on absentee ballots worry election watchdogs

Isn't my vote supposed to be confidential?

ANNAPOLIS, Md. - (KRT) - Robert Lanza thought voters' ballots were supposed to be secret, which is why he was surprised to see a little "G" next to his name on his absentee ballot return address - for Green Party.

"Anybody handling my absentee ballot can look at my envelope and tell what my political affiliation is," Lanza said.

Lanza and other election watchers say the party tags invite fraud because a ballot handler who disagrees with a voter's party choice could simply throw out his or her ballot. Maryland State Board of Elections officials maintain there is no cause for concern, but they have also said they might discontinue the practice in future elections. http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...0021985.htm?1c

Yeah so they'll continue the practice after this election.... how convenient!

Am I Bitter?...Absolutely nicedreams's Avatar
    GREAT!

I'm in Maryland and voting by absentee ballot this year.

Jim

Gay Amateur Paysites / Solo Twink Paysite
    Nice Dreams Cash
    http://www.nicedreamscash.com

desslock
    Well it is confidential. I handled the counting of mail-in ballots in 2002... and I am sure Maryland is not too different from Texas.

The people who open the envelopes (which is what I did) do NOT count the votes. You sit at a table with someone from the other party, and you are in a room full of others doing the same.

You have to open the envelope, set the *still sealed ballot* in one stack, and set the outside envelope in another stack - marking it as returned via the postal system.

In fact we received Karl Rove's mail in ballot, plus a number of other Austinites who went to Washington DC with the administration. But there was no opportunity for any of us to even see Rove's voting choices.

There is not an opportunity for mischief. Democrats have run Maryland state government for decades, so I am certain that Republicans and others would have found some kind of fraud in the system by now.

It is a shame that the "press" does nothing to completely explain a story or situation - just fan unfounded hysteria.

Steve

Jasun
    Unfounded Hysteria?

After registration drives in Colorado were going through registration forms and throwing out the ones from Democrats?

After the Republicans are hiring goons to dress up in uniforms and go through the voting lines - pretending to be officials- and harrassing black and Hispanic voters?

After the election in florida was fixed four years ago by Katherine Harris who systematically removed voters from registration lists if they lived in predominantly Black, Jewish or Gay neighbourhoods?

Buddy, I wouldn't put ANYTHING past these people.. certainly not throwing out ballots that they know came from a Democrat. And Unfounded or not, votes are to be secret... not put on the front of the envelope.

desslock
    and Mandrake, we must always be on our toes looking out for those damn Republicans everywhere who want to sap our precious bodily fluids...

Jasun
    well I'm glad you think it's funny.

Americans used to care about their rights like Privacy, Free Speech, freedom of the press and their right to vote.

but not anymore.

enjoy the next four years.

Jasun we do care, that's why I made this post! I voted absentee ballot this year living overseas. You have to remember that America was attacked on it's own soil for the first time since Pearl Harbor.. and that wasn't on the continent! Since then Bush has kept Americans in a constant state of fear.

On another topic: it amazes me that after the problem in Florida 4 years ago that they are, oddly enough, having problems again this year with voter registrations, the polls etc. WTF? Strange all this happens with Bush becoming pres. and in his brothers state and none of it is rectified by this election.

Originally posted by Jasun
    well I'm glad you think it's funny.

Americans used to care about their rights like Privacy, Free Speech, freedom of the press and their right to vote.

but not anymore.

enjoy the next four years.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Just think..

Only a few more days (hopefully) till we can get on with everyday stuff and stop worrying about the elections

Regards,

Lee

desslock - the evelope openers don't have to know any more than the party in order to change things. all the envelope openers have to do is throw away or misplace some envelopes with a big D on them.