Thread: "living computer" was grown from 25,000 neurons extracted from a rat's brain

"living computer" was grown from 25,000 neurons extracted from a rat's brain

The "living computer" was grown from 25,000 neurons extracted from a rat's brain and arranged over a grid of 60 electrodes in a Petri dish.

The brain cells then started to reconnect themselves, forming microscopic interconnections, said Thomas DeMarse, professor of biomedical engineering at the University of Florida.

"Over that we put the living cortical neurons from rats, which rapidly begin to reconnect themselves, forming a living neural network -- a brain."

When linked up to an F-22 jet flight simulator, the brain and the simulator established a two-way connection similar to how neurons receive and interpret signals from each other to control our bodies.

Gradually the brain learnt to control the flight of the plane based on the information it received about flight conditions.

However, the brain still falls a long way short of the complexity of the human brain, which has billions of neurons, and Steven Potter, a biomedical engineer at the Georgia Institute of Technology, said a brain in a dish flying a real plane was still a long way off.

FULL STORY

This is absolutely amazing! I saw a story on discovery the other day of a rat hooked up to a computer... they were pushing one button on the keyboard and the right leg would move, another and the other leg would move.. then they made the rat walk in a maze the direction they wanted etc. .. but this story is amazing!
    Naked Straight Men on Squirtit & StraightBro

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

Ounique
    I'm sorry, that's just creepy. Isn't this how The Matrix got started?

Originally posted by Ounique
    I'm sorry, that's just creepy. Isn't this how The Matrix got started?
    I don't know about the beginning of the Matrix but sure is damn creepy! Imagine the speed of the processor not being the measure of a computers worth, but the size of the brain? Damn strange and at what point does it stop being brain cells and start being a living creature? Because life is consciousness, knowing you exist, right?
    Naked Straight Men on Squirtit & StraightBro

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

Camper than a row of tents
    Stuff such as this really makes me believe that we here in 2004 are nothing more than primitive ape's. This is just the very basic beginning's of the future of AI.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Definately interesting stuff i hope they do much more research on tings like this it could potentially save (and unfortunately claim) lives in the future

Regards,

Lee

it's totally amazing - science fiction come to life. did anyone hear every read the book "the ship who sang"?

on the other hand, i see a lot of animal cruelty ahead.

and on the third hand, as my son said, with rat brains flying planes, they'll be destroying a lot of cheese factories.