Thread: how much time do you spend deleting stuff?

how much time do you spend deleting stuff?

i am becoming amazed at home much time i spend deleting stuff. i delete my email, videos i've written text for, pics for graphics i'm working on. i delete folders full of stuff after a job for someone else is done. today, i received 11 pm's on another board, and had to delete there - first the inbox, then the sent box.

and that's not even all of it. i had to delete a virus, and two adwares today, plus a double someone sent me of some HUGE pics... and that's still not all.

is this what modern life comes down to - spending hours a week hitting the delete button???

thetwink
    I really should delete alot more than I actually do. I do delete a few hundred spam e-mails per day, though.

Deleting stuff has become a daily part of my routine, whether it's spam, or cleaning up files ... kinda reminds me of all the time we spend standing in line at stores, a waste but unavoidable.

nicky817
    I waste toooo much time deleting...

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Originally posted by nicky817
    I waste toooo much time deleting...
    You need to change the size of your signature to a 120x60 button and up to 3 lines of standard text

Regards,

Lee

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    LOL Patti,

I was talking to GA about this yesterday as it happens and, i was going to ask a similar question later today LOL

Although, my conversation was how little i actually spend deleting stuff now for example..

Email - I have filters setup so spam goes into the deleted items folder automatically. Anything with attachments goes into its own folder also and any 'personal' emails go into their own folder.

Now instead of going to each folder / email individually all i need to do is delete and entire folder - it takes all of 30 seconds once a week.

PMs - For the most part, i let them accumulate after i have replied to them and try to keep them for at least a week or two before deleting them. Again though, when i delete them, i just select the master check box at the top of the sent / tracking and deleted folders and click on delete again, it takes all of 30 seconds to delete the old messages i dont need anymore.

On our server, now thats a different story, we dont delete anything, if links dont work, they get caught by a htaccess file and redirected. We [read as i] learnt the hard way about deleting shit from the server, we had a rathr large translations job several years ago and, after it was completed everything got uploaded to an ip address, needless to say a couple of days went by and we had assumed the client had downloaded the work so we deleted it all... only to find out the client in fact hadnt downloaded the work LOL

I guess ultimately it comes down to time management, if you set up rules initially when you know youll have a lot of stuff to do and get into a regular pattern of doing things it becomes second nature.

Regards,

Lee

Lee - i set up spam filters several times. every time, at least one really important email found its way into the spam to be thrown away.

and a lot of people who say that never happens have had my emails go into the spam area when they told me they didn't get my email...

so now i eyeball every email by sender and subject - luckily i read very fast. it does take up a little time, but i haven't had anything disappear since.

thetwink
    Originally posted by basschick
    Lee - i set up spam filters several times. every time, at least one really important email found its way into the spam to be thrown away.

and a lot of people who say that never happens have had my emails go into the spam area when they told me they didn't get my email...

so now i eyeball every email by sender and subject - luckily i read very fast. it does take up a little time, but i haven't had anything disappear since.
    same here. Spam filters end up eating legitimate mail for me, so I just 'eyeball' them too. It's real easy to tell a real e-mail subject apart from a spam subject.... for me, anyways.

I am straight, but my ass is gay jIgG's Avatar
    i put it off
    that's why now i have gigs of useless crap all over my hard drive.

all my pr0n pics are on disks so i only use what i need upload and delete locally then if i need to restore i use the site backups

most of my junks i lots and lots and lots of MP3s and Videos I have at least 40GB of that and there's no way I can back it up anywhere

Xstr8guy
    *message deleted

thetwink
    Originally posted by Xstr8guy
    *message deleted
    tehehe