Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: happy days

DigitalJay

Big Grin happy days

I'm registering my LLC today and everything is coming together on the glbt clothing biz. I'm giddy, finally looks like something is going to work out for me that I can see through. I've always liked designing shirts and gotten plenty of compliments and questions about ones i've designed for myself, so this is good for me. If all works out, i'll have a decent modest income and some real hapiness and security, plus something to do for hours every day.

The only thing that brings me down a little is that I couldn't afford the $1k in startup obviously, so presented it to a close friend to see if he wanted to partner up 50/50. He was excited to do it with me and had some great ideas of his own, but has decided now he wants to be president of the LLC and get more than 50% of profit, and the idea was one i've sat on for a while and daydreamed about a lot so it kinda sucks, but I gotta do what I can.

We kind of clash on our vision of how it should be a little too, he thinks we should concentrate on presenting the designs/graphics, and offer all of them on a few different types of shirts and colors, kind of a build your own. I prefer that each shirt be a specific way and be presented as a style in a certain way. More of a finished product and a little cocky like most clothing designers, as in "this is my creation and it's hot, and it'll look hot on you" instead of "these are our graphics, how do you want them?"

Which do you all think works better? His has more diversity and allows more control over the product ordered, but mine eases stock headache and presents a finished product made to look a certain way.

Any ideas/opinions?

i think you are giving away your dream to someone who does not share it, and wants to be in control.

i'm sure there's something to be said for both visions, but if you do not come to an agreement in advance, he will simply be using the skeleton of your idea to start his company. i hope you fully iron out these differences ON PAPER before you actually get started.

seems like you'd do better with a loan you can pay back, or a silent partner or partner who gets under 50% so you can maintain your original idea - or at least a partner who agrees with you, and doesn't instantly want to be the president.

DigitalJay
    Yeah, we will definately have a written contract detailing everything.

He does want a lot of control, but when it comes down to it, it was my idea and my designs from concept to creation. I've done as much research as I possibly can and it seems like what I've decided would be best and really would work.

I've been sitting on this idea for a long while, if I could do it all myself I definately would have. I could handle all the work myself without a doubt, and marketing. But I've never had any luck at all finding an investor or a way to get a loan with any business I've wanted to start and it always stops me dead. This is finally a chance for me to take a dream and make it reality so I seized it. I'm putting my all into it and thinking about it from the time I wake up until I go to bed. I couldn't be more passionate about it or willing to put everything I have into it. If involving someone else ruins it for me I guess i'll just be back where I started.

On a lighter note, I can't wait to do the catalog photoshoots! Hot guys and girls in smalls and mediums trying to look sexy, that's gonna be fun

i surely do wish you success in your venture!

Rainbo1956
    Never go into a partnership with anyone (even family or lovers) unless it's at least a 49/51 partnership...that's just good business sence.

Someone "has" to have more of the final say so...I don't care who it is...
    Usually it "is" the one who has the most invested.

And or, you can make it clear who will run which part of the biz (naturally, everything in writing) still a 49/51 split though.

Have you exhausted all the possibilities of getting business grants or loans?

You'd need a well written out business plan...and you may be able to get a loan.

linkhotten!
    All this over $1k ?!!

Save up the money and leave him out of this.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Sounds like your getting things going finally :thumbsup:

I would agree with the nfo above about not doing anything where you get less than 51% ownership though.

Regards,

Lee

DigitalJay
    I would have to get a private loan, and I don't know anybody with any extra money. $1k may not seem like a lot, but it's more than i've seen at once in a long time. Would anyone want to invest in this? I've planned it out fully, from production to sales, marketing, packaging, and the website and storefront are ready.

I currently have close to 30 different GLBT designs, most are suggestive but some are pretty blatant. A few of them are:
    Spit Shine
    Call Me Sir
    WOOF! (written on a dogbone) yeah I don't like this term a whole lot, but the shirt is kind of cute
    3 is a magic number (is that suggestive?)
    An outline of Missouri (my home state) saying "SHOW it to ME", the state motto..kind of
    Sucker For Punishment (written over a sucker)
    I Know What Boys Want
    Pink Team (on a black shirt in pink)
    A swing set with arrows pointing in both directions (surely people will get this hehe)
    TransAction
    Here Kitty Kitty
    Call Me SIR (in army stencil font)
    The Honey & The Bear matching set
    OUT Of Control
    I've already got these copyrighted and checked numberous times to make sure I'm not infringing on any copyrights with any of the designs.

You get the idea Some of these are on t-shirts, some on two-tone ringers, some on raglans, some on ribbed tanks, and they all look damn good if I should say so myself I even have one that can be modified with safety-pins to show a lot of skin. It'll be demonstrated on the models in the catalog, who are very very hot.

I don't care if they are corny or if any of them are bad ideas, I put a lot of work and effort into designing the graphics and putting them the right way on the right shirts to look hot. It seems like a great way to break into the GLBT market doing something I have a passion for, and creating a well known label (hopefully) in the process. A popular brand can get you places

i gather the $1000 is to register the llc. do you HAVE to have the llc in order to start this business, or can you get started and then register it?

DigitalJay
    Originally posted by basschick
    i gather the $1000 is to register the llc. do you HAVE to have the llc in order to start this business, or can you get started and then register it?
    It's for equipment, a minimum amount of startup shirts, shipping goods, and a few other small things, all physical. No i don't need the LLC right away but it isn't very expensive to register and saves me from some liability if someone decided to sue me because a shirt gave them a rash or some other ignorant shit. I can't think of any likely scenarios where i would be sued over a shirt but I'm sure there are plenty. The original stock and equipment cost enough though that I need that 1k to start or I have nothing to sell and therefore no business.

I have only a few weeks left to launch this before I miss the holiday sales completely. I've busted ass and done everything I need to research-wise, but I don't know if I'll ever get further than that. My friend said he was ready to order everything we need and get started but it's not happening. I'm SICK of dissapointment, I don't care if I have to sell myself to raise the money I'm going to make this happen, now not later.

DigitalJay
    I think my friend is gonna back out. He was going to use a credit card to pay for the initial expenses but he is having a ton of second thoughts and doubt.

I have to stop thinking about it constantly or i'll drive myself crazy. No amount of planning is getting me anywhere, it all comes down to cash, of which i have none and probably never will again. I wish someone would take a chance on me without wanting my friggin soul in exchange. Guys always wanna be paid back either with sex or over half my business, and I won't go for either. :bomb:

Being blind broke and stranded in bumfuck is getting to me, if I don't find something positive to do with myself soon i'm gonna implode.

DigitalJay
    Originally posted by basschick

seems like you'd do better with a loan you can pay back, or a silent partner or partner who gets under 50% so you can maintain your original idea - or at least a partner who agrees with you, and doesn't instantly want to be the president.
    Just out of curiousity, how the fuck do I do this? I've been trying for a year now. I couldnt have more of a business plan or model for success, or think every little detail out more. I can't get a loan because I have no credit, no partner wants less than half, I have no friends or family who have to money to loan, much less that would if they did.

Obviously busting ass to save up the money shouldn't be out of the question, but I live in the middle of nowhere, there are NO good jobs i'm qualified for, i'm still half blind with no glasses, and no car. I'm tired of wollowing in the bed i've made for myself, but can't see any decent way out...

DigitalJay
    btw, if anyone is wondering what is happening with my camsite...

I'm thinking scrawny white and hairy isn't such a hot seller

i guess i don't understand something - i make at least a couple thou a month posting galleries. that's if i post 4 - 5 days per week, and it takes a max of 2 hours a day.

so why can't you make an extra $1000 doing this, or working avs sites? it would be better than a loan 'cause the money would be yours.

or perhaps you could do some work for other webmasters. there are people who pay to have galleries posted for them, who pay to have galleries reviewed for their tgps, who pay to write text for sites. maybe someone on this board needs some help...

DigitalJay
    I could basschick, but I don't really know how. I've never done tgp on a large scale, and I don't have any good free hosting anymore. The host my camsite is on expires in a month, a friend let me use some space but it's done nothing for him so i'm sure he won't renew the domain. that's mostly whats keeping me from doing avs too, but I do know how to do that.

You are right, that IS a viable solution, and if i spent as much time doing it as I do bitching and feeling sorry for myself I would already be somewhere. I'm just stupid, what can I say? I need to take a good amount of self-pics, find a decent free host, and get my ass in gear, i have the time and the will i just have to do it. I'll start tomorrow and keep everyone posted on my progress so I can still post here and actually have something constructive to say.

Any suggestions on where to put the avs sites? I had hosting with cyberage and gmp but my aol account died and i've lost the passwords, so I can't get them back without the original email address.