Thread: ICANN Done Gone And Fucked Up Big Time

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

WTF? ICANN Done Gone And Fucked Up Big Time

Effective November 12, 2004, the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) will institute a new transfer policy for all accredited domain name service providers.

The previous ICANN policy allowed us to deny requests to transfer your domain names to another registrar unless you explicitly confirmed to us your intent to transfer. The new ICANN policy removes that protection. Starting November 12, when we receive a request to transfer your domain name to a new registrar, we will still attempt to contact you to confirm that you authorized the request. However, if you do not respond, or are not able to respond within 5 days, your domain name WILL be transferred.

With this change in mind, we are recommending that all Go Daddy domain customers visit GoDaddy.com and "lock" their domain name(s). Locking your domain(s) is free and prevents unauthorized changes to contacts and name servers. Most importantly, it prevents the domain name from being transferred to another registrar without your knowledge. You may lock or unlock your domain at any time.

To lock your domain names:

Go to: https://www.godaddy.com/?isc=gdficgdout
    Click My Account and enter your username or customer number and password.
    Click Manage Domains.
    Select the domain name(s) that you wish to lock.
    Click Set Locking. In the right side pane, select "Lock" and save your changes.

After your changes have been submitted, there will be a short duration while your request is pending update. During this period, details of the domain(s) will be temporarily unavailable.

If you have any questions please email us at support@supportwebsite.com or call our customer support line at (480) 505-8899.

To review the new ICANN transfer policy, please visit: http://www.icann.org/transfers/policy-12jul04.htm

Thank you for your attention.

Sincerely,
    GoDaddy.com Domain Support
    I cant wait to see what domain names get taken offline because of this new policy from ICANN.

Its going to be an interesting couple of weeks i would say

Regards,

Lee

thetwink
    well, they infer that using the lock feature at your registrar will still protect it... I think. Anyways, I wonder if DirectNic will be sending a similar e-mail, and hopefully they're 'lock' policy still stays intact.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Originally posted by thetwink
    well, they infer that using the lock feature at your registrar will still protect it... I think. Anyways, I wonder if DirectNic will be sending a similar e-mail, and hopefully they're 'lock' policy still stays intact.
    Yep the problem is though, not every registrar has the lock feature to my knowledge.

Regards,

Lee

susanna
    Actually the problem I see is that the "lock your domain" will not remain free. Yet another money grab.

BT
    Thanks for the tip. I just locked all of my domains. :angel:

Words paint the real picture gaystoryman's Avatar
    Interesting, but for me I see the flip side to this as well.

Long time back (for me) I transferred from Verisign to DirectNIC and it took over 30 days for the transfer to go thru. Verisign kept refusing the transfer request even though I had approved it.

To me all I see this as ICANN attempting to weed out the small time rip off registrars or sloppy ones who can't get the procedure done.

I mean how many times have we heard about how long its taken to get a domain transferred from one registrar to another?

As I read the new changes it simply means that if you don't reject the request it'll go through automatically... in other words any current domain registered still needs you to approve or deny the change but you only got 5 calendar days instead of forever.

Like anything I see the other side as well where someone could steal a domain or two if the owner isn't vigilant or the company they use doesn't follow up requests immediately. Still its 6 of one, half dozen of another.

just my warped opinion
    Ian
    Webmasters: Add Custom Stories To Your Sites Custom Gay Stories

My Blogs Gay Talk, Free Gay Fiction, Erotic Fiction Online

robin
    It's funny that GoDaddy would say:

The previous ICANN policy allowed us to deny requests to transfer your domain names to another registrar unless you explicitly confirmed to us your intent to transfer.
    Because any domain transfer / hijacking story that I've heard always is about GoDaddy; usually of someone transfering the stolen domain to them and then the victim having problems trying to get it back from their control.

A recent example would be this site's problem: http://www.updatexp.com/oct-special-2004.html

Takemytaco
    I just changed my settings to "High Security" for my domains using Directnic.

Thx .