Thread: Is There Such A Thing As 'To Much' Content In A Paysite?

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

Is There Such A Thing As 'To Much' Content In A Paysite?

If so, where would you draw the line at a 'limit' of content inside a paysite?

For exaple, if you have images, movies, feeds, stories and a couple of other types of content, is there a maximum amount that should be viewable at any one time or, is it better to throw everything in the members area to the surfer at once?

Your opinions?

Regards,

Lee

I am straight, but my ass is gay jIgG's Avatar
    define too much
    people on fast connections would go thru content much faster.
    and even then there's only so much of it they would like

imo if it's laid out nice and they dont get lost clicking around, you're allright

dont think the maximum amount would work. unless everyone else started doing it, you have very unique content, or you price really low

JustMe
    Greetings:

Well, I'm probably the least experienced in the adult business on this forum, but what the heck I might as well tell you what I'm planning on doing. I'm interested to hear other's thoughts on this matter too.

Since my site will be new, it will be full of a lot of "filler content" aka stuff that we've picked up from content brokers. What we won't have a lot of, when we start off, is original exclusive shoots.

So, what we decided to do is the following:

Each user that joins our site will be automatically added into a mysql database. We'll use this to track all of their behavior (for anti-password sharing, anti-downloaders, etc.), as well as how long they've been a member, how long until their membership is set to expire, if they've cancelled yet or not, etc. etc.

When they first join, they'll be presented with all of our filler content (several tens of thousands of images and about 1,300 video clips that can be streamed or downloaded), along with our live sex feed plugin, and our free bonus site. They'll also see a few exclusive shoots as well to make them happy about their purchase.

Then, every third time that they log in after the first week, they'll see a new exclusive shoot, plus an announcement about what our next "update" will be. So each user has their own custom updates, and the longer they're a member, the more updates they'll see. When it gets down to about a week before it's time for their renewal, we'll announce to them a huge update that will take place, you guessed it, just a couple of days after their membership is set to expire.

Our site will basically act itself out as if it were a play for each user individually. This way, each user is treated to a stream of new updates of exclusive shoots (which are actually ones that are already on the site, just hidden from their personal view). The user is happy because, from their perspective, we're constantly uploading new content. From our perspective, we're getting one hell of a bang for our content buck.

It seems to me if you're giving the user everything at once to begin with, you have to come up with a LOT of new content each month in order to get those renewals. The way we're doing it, it's all new content to THEM anyway....

After the content is X weeks old, we'll put it into the general site pool for everyone to see, in case a user signs up to our site again after letting his membership lapse for a while, the first update he sees when he logs in isn't the same one he saw when he first registered.

there's a cms that puts up a new update every so many visits for each member. you control how often, and every member will see a different amount of updates depending on how often he logs in. i've been thinking about that cms lately...

JustMe
    Greetings:

Originally posted by basschick
    i've been thinking about that cms lately...
    Every CMS i've seen geared towards the adult market has been one or both of two things: Overpriced, or a piece of crap.

Doing "dynamic content negotiation" (as it's called in the scary world of mainstream business) is a very simple task from a technical perspective. Granted, you can build off of that and get far more technical (like we're doing for site security), but at its base there's nothing to it. Especially for what we're talking about, displaying content.

Can you wait a couple of weeks basschick? We're going to be releasing our scripts for free in our Webmaster's Resource Center when it goes live. It's filled with technical tutorials that we've written, and a ton of free scripts that we've created (including our CMS plugin and a free script we call "NickelSmart" that does everything PennyWize does). It's designed to be our "give back to the gay webmaster community". I've learned so much through this and other forums in the past 6 months researching this market, that I felt an obligation to give back. So, I had everything that we've made so far documented and organized.

I just hate seeing people getting taken advantage of, and it seems to happen a lot in this business....

i wasn't going to rush into this script or any other... i don't have the time to read tutorials for any script. i'm working 80+ hours a week right now. so the only script i could use right now would have to be pretty much plug and play - which basically means it'll have to wait.

justme are you guys releasing the scripts GPL/Open SOurce or just freeware?

JustMe
    Greetings:

Originally posted by jIgG
    justme are you guys releasing the scripts GPL/Open SOurce or just freeware?
    I have decided not to release anything under the GPL License. I want to maintain legal control over everything, so that we're the only place that can distribute the scripts. Since many of them involve site security, and since some people in this business (like any business) can be a bit on the shady side, I want to be able to protect the integrity of our creations (and thus our reputation in the community)....

However, most of them are php or perl scripts, and I have decided not to encrypt any of them using something like Zend. I want webmasters to be able to alter the code for their own use, to suit their own needs, should they desire to do so.

So, the license will reflect that. Free for your own use, free to alter for your own use, but they can't be re-distributed or sold.

I know the open source people would hate me because they worship GPL like the bible, but considering all, I think it's a healthy compromise.

I'll have more details when we finally get the thing up and running. Between getting a paysite finished, getting the traffic hub finished, customizing our adservers, playing with my attorney about a new corporation, and this free webmaster center, I'm having almost as much fun as basschick and her 80 hour weeks.....

I'd rather be whole, than good
    Hi JustMe,

Please add me to your "interested licensor" list.

BRIAN.

Anthony
    Lee,

One of my specialities is increasing member retention via member content.

I don't see content as being too much. I say, "Give them so much, they puke".