Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm sick of...

Xstr8guy

I'm sick of...

... making sites only 760 pixels wide. Can we all agree it is ok to go with a wider format now? I mean, if a surfer is still using a monitor with 800x600 resolution... fuck him/her! Let them suffer with horizontal scrolling.

If one were to ditch the 760 pixel limit, what would be a good width to go use?

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    You know i kind of agree with you however, to combat this i usually center my sites in a 90% cell that way it doesnt matter what resolution a surfer is on so long as the sites are low on graphics

Regards,

Lee

Xstr8guy
    *bump*

I would love to know what others thought about this.

Corey Bryant
    1024X768 is usually a good bet to go with. This was discuss at one point I think on this forum: http://forums.iwdn.net

It really depends on your customers. I have often looked at this site: http://www.upsdell.com/BrowserNews/stat_trends.htm - which also helps on the 1024 resolution. I always usually start at the 800 size & then after a few months, I review the stats. Is the majority are over 1024, I change it accordingly

Xstr8guy
    Thanks for the link Corey, that helps a lot.

Corey Bryant
    Glad to have helped.

Who would have known that 65% of users were at 1024x768.

Thanks for the info Corey
    Naked Straight Men on Squirtit & StraightBro

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

Words paint the real picture gaystoryman's Avatar
    hmmmmm.... okay call me stupid or dumb but I get confused with all this. I know that the majority of monitors seem set for the higher resolution but how does that alter what size you design your web page at? Isn't that more dependent on what size the browser window is set to?

Most surfers that I hear from do not use a full screen browser size, they generally resize it to the default size which appears to be approx 800 pixels wide.. hence why I design the page to the fixed width for the content, bleeding the background if they go to full size browser window.. but i still design to that fixed width... so what am I missing here?

I mean isn't it just as important to know what the majority of surfers have the browser window at?

just my addled thoughts.

Ian
    Webmasters: Add Custom Stories To Your Sites Custom Gay Stories

My Blogs Gay Talk, Free Gay Fiction, Erotic Fiction Online

Corey Bryant
    I think this is a pretty good example here:
    http://www.thescreamonline.com/techn...nitor_res.html

Personally I still design for the 800 browser for the most part - there are a few sites that I do up it to 1024. I think it is the control part actually in me - I like to maintain a little control (well a lot actually)

Usually when you buy a new computer - a new monitor is not needed since the avergae lifespan seems to be about 60,000-80,000 hours of use. I would hope though now that people with a 3.8G processor and 2G of ram would still not be using that monitor they had eight years ago

Originally posted by gaystoryman
    Most surfers that I hear from do not use a full screen browser size, they generally resize it to the default size which appears to be approx 800 pixels wide..
    You know I have a 19" flat screen plasma display and I never have the browser window at full resolution 1280x1024. I do what you said, I have the windows downsized. I like a big display though because you can have a lot of windows open and toggle between them easily.:baby:
    Naked Straight Men on Squirtit & StraightBro

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

Dzinerbear
    Here's some stats from OneStats.com:

The most popular screen resolutions on the web in the world are:

1. 1024 x 768 54.02%
    2. 800 x 600 24.66%
    3. 1280 x 1024 14.1%
    4. 1152 x 864 4%
    5. 640 x 480 0.6%
    6. 1600 x 1200 0.8%
    7. 1152 x 870 0.1%

I sure wouldn't mind making 'em wider. And Xstr8guy, I almost orgasmed when you said 760, I've been doing 720 for over a year now ... gosh another whole 40 pixels.

Dzinerbear

Corey Bryant
    Using those stats, almost 73% use something over 1024 x 768 - which is even higher / better.

( I usually use 770 actually - maybe another little squirt Dzinerbear ?)

Xstr8guy
    I usually set my left margin to zero and use 760px. I don't think rtmargin is supported in some browsers, otherwise I would kill to use 770px!

Corey Bryant
    Are you using CSS to help you determine the left & right margin? If so, it seems to be supported by most browsers: http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/cs...key/margin.htm

I usually use: http://www.corecss.com/properties/full-chart.php but it seems their bandwidth has been exceeded.

Xstr8guy
    I must admit that I don't understand css very well. I've only ever messed with css that was included with templates. If values aren't already there, I don't have a clue how to add them.