Thread: How to deal with non paying clients?

Scorpio

How to deal with non paying clients?

You know, we always hear about designers who don't deliver what was paid for and blah blah... and i totally agree with that. So many scammers (designers) out there but how about clients!

We designers most of the times have to put up with scammers too. And i'm getting tired of clients not paying what they owe me. That's why i always ask 50% upfront.. But then you have some guys in boards bitching because designers are asking for 50% upfront... well that's because some of you DON'T FUCKING PAY!!

I'm fucking tired of it. I'm a nice guy when it comes to dealing with clients but enough is enough... I often get screwed or have to wait forever to get my money... bills ain't waiting and i'm not fucking Rothschild... if i were, i would not be here complaining.

ok i'm done for today

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    So you mean you have done some work for someone and they havent paid you for it yet?

How long overdue is the payment?

Regards,

Lee

Oh and have you tried to contact them by email/icq/pm etc? Or are they just flat out ignoring you?

Regards,

Lee

Scorpio
    Yes, one hasn't paid me for a week... and the other one for a few days.

Originally posted by Scorpio
    Yes, one hasn't paid me for a week... and the other one for a few days.
    Well i would wait for a couple more days and try to contact them aain, if they dont pay then you should consider what your options are for getting them to pay.

Sometimes sending an email over to one of their work colleagues is enough to get payment made as well as embarrasing the hell out of them

It could also be that whomever your client is simply doesnt have the money to pay you for the work right now if thats the case, then dont accept any more work from them until they have paid what is owed

Regards,

Lee

Scorpio
    I'm gonna wait but that's very irritating when you count on that money to pay stuff and then you're screwed so you have to find it somewhere else NOT COOL!

Jasun
    there's nothing worse than having someone owe you cash. especially when you need it.

Dzinerbear
    Yeah, I'm not very good with these situations. When my patience wears thin, you can usually look forward to a "Look, mother-fucker" incident from this corner.

Hopefully it's not going to be too much longer, but it is anoying. You got your project, pay me! Unfortunately, you're at their mercy and you've just got to smile, be nice, but firm.

Dzinerbear

JustMe
    Greetings:

I come from the "mainstream" business world so to speak, and I can tell you, asking for 50% up front is the LEAST that many good designers expect.

Many times when I've hired people to create sites/fliers/newsletters/ in the past, the designer would:

1. Would require 50% up front.
    2. If it was a large order, require 100% paid up front into an escrow account.
    3. Would deliver a proof to us to approve first that was in a format that couldn't be copied such as printed out, have the webpage captured in screenshots, or in pdf format. Then, require payment before releasing the html/flash/whatever files.
    4. I even had one design firm (granted, it was a large New York office) require credit references if we wanted net 30 terms instead of payment in full upfront.

I never had a problem with any of it. If anything, I think it makes the designer look all that more professional. If someone's unwilling to accept a proof, or pay into escrow, you have to wonder if you'll ever see your money from them to begin with...

Today the USA, tommorrow the World collegeboyslive's Avatar
    If i were selling a design to a clinet i would , so you do, get 50% up front, but then make jpg's of all the finished pages and e-mail them to him, he dosnt get the html code till payment in full has been received.
    Video feeds and content available to webmasters:
    http://demo.collegeboyslive.com http://affiliates.collegeboyslive.com

Scorpio
    I totally agree.. and that's what i usually do with new clients.
    But sometimes i just go with my guts and just show them the real thing which i won't do no more, that's for sure.

Scorpio
    Next time some fuckers bitch about how designers ask 50% upfront... i'll tell them to fuck off.

Dzinerbear
    Just a heads up though. Once you've uploaded the site to their servers, you ought to be careful. Some designers might be tempted to remove the site for non-payment, but your client could actually sue you for interferring with their business. So, once you've given them the site, it's best to go through small claims court or a lawyer to get the payment.

I know it's not this far yet, but just thought I'd mention it for the sake of discussion.

Cheers
    Dzinerbear

Scorpio
    You're totally right Michael... I just need to stop being stupid too.

if you want to start something for someone without asking for $$$, don't upload anything on their server and only upload stuff for them to review on your end that have the word SAMPLE written across it in HUGE letters - and no psd's till you're paid.

that way, you can get started on the work and not worry that they will keep the work without paying - because nothing you give them to view will be useable till you get your money. if they don't pay you then, it'll be 'cause they're broke. there's not much you can do about that unless you get payment up front.