Thread: CBS rejects church ad welcoming gays

CBS rejects church ad welcoming gays

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - The CBS and NBC Networks have refused to run an ad by a liberal church promoting the acceptance of people regardless of sexual orientation because the networks believe the ad is advocacy advertising.

The 30-second spot, run by the United Church of Christ, features two muscle-bound bouncers standing outside a church, selecting people who could attend service and those who could not. Among those kept out are two males who appear to be a couple. Written text then appears saying, in part, "Jesus didn't turn people away, neither do we."

"Because this commercial touches on the exclusion of gay couples...and the fact that the executive branch has recently proposed a Constitutional amendment to define marriage as a union between a man and a woman, this spot is unacceptable for broadcast," the church quoted CBS as saying.

A CBS spokesman confirmed that the ad was banned, but would not comment directly about the above statement.

"It was against our policy of accepting advocacy advertising," said the spokesman.

An NBC spokeswoman said the problem with the ad was not its depiction of same sex couples at church, but its implication that other religions are not open to all people.

"It went against our long-standing policy of not accepting ads that deal with issues public controversy," said the NBC spokeswoman.

"It's ironic that after a political season awash in commercials based on fear and deception by both parties seen on all major networks, an ad with a message of welcome and inclusion would be deemed too controversial," said Rev. John Thomas in the statement.

FULL STORY

---------------------

WTF? So all the hate campaign ads are ok, talking about morals etc. Now an ad talking about real morals, accepting everyone in a society, is rejected? WTF?

Would you put a banner on your site for this church? I'm not religious, but those who are, would you? I think they are sending a great message.
    Naked Straight Men on Squirtit & StraightBro

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

dont be jealous becuase i'm beautiful, be jealous because i just fucked your boyfriend
    I've seen this ad several times. Though come to think of it... I haven't seen it in a while. I was a very well done commercial and easy to miss the two gay men. I'm not suprised about it though... I am familiar with UCC. I spoke at a local UCC church when I was 18 or 19 with a gay youth group. God that was 10 years ago!!!

You can see the ad here: http://www.stillspeaking.com/default.htm

You're right. It's not centered around the Gay couple at all.

The ad doesn't mention Gay marriage or anything. Just a simple clean, clear, non partisan message.

What is America coming to? I'm glad a lot of other stations picked up the ad. But CBS and NBC.. two of the biggest, said no? Unfortunate

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    You know, if i were in charge at CBS i would make sure that NO religious commercials were played actually, i would do so no matter which channel i was in charge of.

They already have god tv.

Regards,

Lee

Originally posted by Lee
    You know, if i were in charge at CBS i would make sure that NO religious commercials were played actually, i would do so no matter which channel i was in charge of.

They already have god tv.
    ha ha ha !

Thing is they allow the church shows! Aren't CBS and NBC those channels that have all the early morning religious shows? Don't they have those sunday religious shows as well? But no religious commercials involving acceptance of Gays? Double sided.

If they allow the others, they shouldn't descriminate on this one.

I agree with you. If I was in charge of them I'd allow no religion at all, but then again when the President addresses the people and starts talking about God, like he does, would you pull the plug?

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

Am i gay? Am i straight? And then i realized ... I'm just slutty. Northstar's Avatar
    Give CBS & NBC a call and tell them what you think. http://www.ucccoalition.org/
    I plan to call them later today. Both NBC and CBS profit from laughing at gay people on sitcoms but when it comes to supporting the gay equality they say it is too controversial. You should see some of the whacked religious shows they have Sunday mornings on both NBC & CBS.

She's a lesbian, that's what I'm here to talk about! BradleyFL's Avatar
    I think its a poor decision of CBS & NBC. Look what happened to Bravo when it started playing Queer Eye, its ratings went through the roof and I guess conservative America just couldnt get enough of it so now almost everything they show is gay and their ratings are better than ever...LOL

Jasun
    I get so tired of those fucking "Jesus of Latter day Saints" commercials.

so if they're going to run those, they should run these ones.

And anything that sticks it to the Evangelicals can't be all that bad...