Thread: Domain Extensions Question

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

Domain Extensions Question

I know we had a similar topic a few months ago to this but this is a slight variation to that one..

If you have an idea for a domain name that you want to register, for example, gaywidewebmasters.com, if that domain is taken, what do you opt to do, register a different TLD or, go for another domain name completely?

As for us, generally if our first choice isnt available in .com format, we will try alternatives before considering a different .TLD.

So how about you?

Regards,

Lee

desslock
    When I bought the domain for friskyfans, I was so poor that I opted to purchase the less expensive friskyfans.org address from Network Solutions... even though the .com was available.

I've never had a problem with it. My latest website project, which is about Hawaiianaware, had to go with a .org because someone bought the com. ORG addresses substitute nicely. I've never liked .net domain names--- too geeky sounding.

One thing I picked up from working in the trenches - .biz domains get very crummy treatment in search engines. Plus, spam blockers are likely to block .biz emails since they are typically spam.

On the other hand, I built a website for my apartment property manager. She was a skinflint, so I registered a .bz domain, which was on sale and I could grab a good sounding name out of it. Turns out, she scores well in search engine rankings for what we want, and everything works just fine. bz domains are cheap too.

Just a tidbit.

Steve

Xstr8guy
    I don't think it matters too much on the TLD if it isn't a typein name... although I have steered away from anything other than .com since Lee said he didn't like other extensions, .

Xstr8guy
    Originally posted by desslock
    I've never had a problem with it. My latest website project, which is about Hawaiianaware, had to go with a .org because someone bought the com. ORG addresses substitute nicely. I've never liked .net domain names--- too geeky sounding.
    I tend to think that .org sounds too "PBS" for me... you know, like a non-profit organization.

I think .net rolls off the tongue better than .org. I also like .tv for video/movie sites.

I avoid anything but .com unless its an awesome domain name like a one word domain (eg, gay.net) or filled with keywords for seo. Its just too easy to lose traffic to people who remember your site name but type in a .com instead!

cheers,
    Luke