Thread: Rutgers Claims RX Kills HIV

Xstr8guy

Rutgers Claims RX Kills HIV

Have you seen this?

December 13, 2004 -- Researchers at Rutgers University in Piscataway, N.J., have developed a trio of drugs they believe can destroy HIV, the virus that causes AIDS, according to a medical journal report.
    The drugs, called DAPYs, mimic the virus by changing shape, which enables them to interfere with the way HIV attacks the immune system.

Tests conducted in conjunction with Johnson & Johnson have shown the drugs to be easily absorbed with minimal side effects.

They also can be taken in one pill, in contrast to the drug cocktails currently taken by many AIDS patients.

A research team led by Rutgers chemist Eddy Arnold prepublished details of the most promising of the three drugs, known as R278474, last month in the electronic edition of the Journal of Medicinal Chemistry.

The research has targeted reverse transcriptase, a submiscroscopic protein composed of two coiled chains of amino acids. It is considered HIV's key protein.

"Reverse transcriptase is very important in the biology of AIDS," said Stephen Smith, the head of the department of infectious diseases at St. Michael's Medical Center in Newark.

"If you can really inhibit reverse transcriptase, you can stop AIDS."

The optimism about R278474 stems from its potential to interfere with an enzyme that the virus needs to copy and insert itself into a human cell.

http://www.nypost.com/news/nationalnews/36375.htm

Dawgy
    interesting.

to quote chris rock ... "there's no money in the cure."

i hope they do find cures for things like hiv, cancer, diabetes, etc... but i wouldnt be surprised if it never happens, and not for lack of trying.

You miserable little twit! What an awful thing to say :santa: Ho HO HO

Originally posted by Dawgy
    interesting.

to quote chris rock ... "there's no money in the cure."

i hope they do find cures for things like hiv, cancer, diabetes, etc... but i wouldnt be surprised if it never happens, and not for lack of trying.
    Naked Straight Men on Squirtit & StraightBro

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

there's big money in people who can't be cured - billions and billions of dollars :-(

there's a lot less money in curing people, but i hope these folks can get this thing going. what a blessing this would be!

Camper than a row of tents
    I don't buy the idea that new cures are hidden, or even could be. If every single scientist in the world worked closely under a major drug company, then maybe such a conspiracy theory could be possible.

But it's not like that, and all it takes is one small group to develop a cure and go public with it.

And just because there's no money in cures for the drug companies doesn't mean there's not a fortune involved for the group who actually discovers the cure.

Xstr8guy
    I certainly hope that you are right, Matt 26z. But I think most scientists that are developing drugs are working for major drug companies. And if they aren't, as soon as they develop a hot new drug, every major pharmaceutical company comes a knockin to scoop up the rights.

it ain't free to develop a drug for human use. it costs millions. without a drug company backing a doctor, i doubt anyone would have the money to do this without backing.

also sometimes the companies buy the drug, and then don't release it. they can test it - for a looooooong time. this does happen - notice how fast they release things with big profits attached, with minimal test period. some of the test periods are so short, you wonder how safe the drugs really are. but some things seem to be tested for many years.

Jasun
    Man... nobody is looking for cures to most diseases.. Drug companies don't want them.. they want long-term treatments.

And the only scientists who have the funds to do research for 20 years are being supported by the drug companies.

Sorry Matt.. but "cures" are few and far between. Treatment is all we can hope for.. i really hope this thing works.. but to get a drug passed by the FDA takes million of dollars... and who else but drug companies have that kind of cash?

Originally posted by Jasun
    but to get a drug passed by the FDA takes million of dollars... and who else but drug companies have that kind of cash?
    Oprah :high:
    Naked Straight Men on Squirtit & StraightBro

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

Jasun
    heeheehe

well, maybe she can pay for it.

cj.
    Originally posted by Squirt
    Oprah :high:
    I'm going to be Oprah one day, its my life goal ;-)))
    only without all the soppy shit LOL

unfortunately, if this is a 'cure', it will be designed to make the patient live longer and need more drugs through their life ... everything in medicine has an ulterior motive.

If you ever get the chance there's a british guy, Phillip Day, who talks about the conspiracy behind the medical industry - how research about drugs is done by the maker of the drugs, no independent studies happen due to shortage of funds etc. He's the Michael Moore of the medical profession - a bit nuts, but his ideas balance out the pharmaceutical companies - just like moore balances out bush. I saw him recently and found it very interesting.

Those researching a cure for cancer said one would be available by 1978 .... in all that time since we've learnt that eating processed foods and not cleansing our body of toxins causes cancer, and yet you don't hear much about that because McDonalds has a bigger advertising budget.

But with all that said, this looks to be something that will greatly reduce the symptoms and effects of Aids on sufferers, and that can never be a bad thing.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    This is definately a good thing however, i have to re-iterate the sentiments of other posters.. there really isnt any money in cures these days.. its all about solving the syptoms. Whether that be the common cold bug or, HIV / AIDs.

Regards,

Lee

Slade

Re: Rutgers Claims RX Kills HIV

Originally posted by Xstr8guy
    Have you seen this?

December 13, 2004 -- Researchers at Rutgers University in Piscataway, N.J., have developed a trio of drugs they believe can destroy HIV, the virus that causes AIDS, according to a medical journal report.
    The drugs, called DAPYs, mimic the virus by changing shape, which enables them to interfere with the way HIV attacks the immune system.

Tests conducted in conjunction with Johnson & Johnson have shown the drugs to be easily absorbed with minimal side effects.

They also can be taken in one pill, in contrast to the drug cocktails currently taken by many AIDS patients.

A research team led by Rutgers chemist Eddy Arnold prepublished details of the most promising of the three drugs, known as R278474, last month in the electronic edition of the Journal of Medicinal Chemistry.

The research has targeted reverse transcriptase, a submiscroscopic protein composed of two coiled chains of amino acids. It is considered HIV's key protein.

"Reverse transcriptase is very important in the biology of AIDS," said Stephen Smith, the head of the department of infectious diseases at St. Michael's Medical Center in Newark.

"If you can really inhibit reverse transcriptase, you can stop AIDS."

The optimism about R278474 stems from its potential to interfere with an enzyme that the virus needs to copy and insert itself into a human cell.

http://www.nypost.com/news/nationalnews/36375.htm
    Unfortunately there have been no human trials at all. So far all the work has simply been done in the test tube & with monkees.

I wish more of these companies would FIRST go through the human trials before they announce such promising results. Tends to become easy to be very cynical unfortunately when you hear of "cures" right off the top.

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=7128200

3 major pharmaceutical companes released drugs without noting that they cause double the risk of heart attack or just don't work. seems like they only do years of trials on drugs that aren't big money makers...