Thread: Gay Divorce - First Gay Divorces Begin In Massachusetts

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

Gay Divorce - First Gay Divorces Begin In Massachusetts

BOSTON, Massachusetts (AP) -- Less than seven months after same-sex couples began tying the knot in Massachusetts, the state is seeing its first gay divorces.

Newlyweds seeking to renounce the vows they so recently took have been trickling into probate courts across the state, filling out obsolete forms that still read "husband" and "wife."

Josh Friedes, a spokesman for the Massachusetts Freedom to Marry Coalition, said the rapid divorces are no cause for concern.

"It would be wonderful if every marriage lasted until a couple lived to a ripe old age, but unfortunately we know from our heterosexual peers that all too often there are irreconcilable differences, and for these couples, divorce is often the most humane option," Friedes said. "Anyone who argues that gay and lesbian couples divorcing is grounds for opposing gay marriage is being incredibly hypocritical."

Exactly how many same-sex couples are seeking divorces is not clear -- nor is it clear whether any gay divorces have become final -- because not all counties keep track of which divorce filings are from gays.

The first gay divorce case in Suffolk County, which includes Boston, was filed Wednesday by a male couple who exchanged vows on May 22, five days after same-sex marriage was legalized.

One partner was a 33-year-old religious educator from Boston, the other a 39-year-old professor based in Washington. Since then, the couple said in their divorce filing, "our interests have grown in different directions." Each man signed a settlement attesting that the marriage had "irretrievably broken down."

The most difficult part of the settlement appeared to be custody of their three cats, who will live exclusively with the professor.

But "in recognition of the emotional hardship of such relinquishment," the settlement reads, the professor agreed to provide his ex "with periodic updates, photographs, and any health-related information pertaining" to the cats.

Massachusetts began sanctioning gay marriages on May 17, six months after a landmark ruling by the state Supreme Court. (Full story)

According to the state Registry of Vital Records, at least 4,266 gay marriage certificates have since been issued, although there is a lag time in the records and hundreds more may have wed this year.

Hampshire County reporting a divorce filing within about two months of the first gay weddings.

Middlesex County, which is the state's largest and includes Cambridge, Lowell and other outlying communities, received its first gay divorce case on December 2, involving a 38-year-old woman who works for a cleaning business, and a 27-year-old student. The older woman sought the divorce, citing "cruel and abusive treatment" during the three months of marriage.

Opponents of gay marriage said the divorces, occurring so soon after the weddings, confirm that gay couples are not equipped for marriage.

"We're not surprised," said Kris Mineau, president of the Massachusetts Family Institute, which is fighting for a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage. "Particularly among male homosexuals, the promiscuity is just phenomenal."

With the national divorce rate hovering near 50 percent, gay rights advocates dismissed such arguments.

"That's a cheap shot," said gay rights attorney Mary Bonauto, who represented seven gay couples in the landmark Massachusetts lawsuit.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/12/10/gay.divorces.ap/

It was bound to happen but damn.. only seven months after getting married in the first place :wacko:

Although thankfully, it seems the only issues open to debate in some of the divorces are who gets to keep the 'cats'.

Regards,

Lee

these guys say their interests have grown apart in 7 months???

jeez!

as far as this

"Opponents of gay marriage said the divorces, occurring so soon after the weddings, confirm that gay couples are not equipped for marriage.

"We're not surprised," said Kris Mineau, president of the Massachusetts Family Institute, which is fighting for a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage. "Particularly among male homosexuals, the promiscuity is just phenomenal.""

considering the percentage of heterosexual marriages that end in divorce, it appears to me that no group is equipped to handle marriages.

Jasun
    how many thousand gay marriages and how few divorces?

Straight people in the Red States should be so lucky.

now where di I put my C-4?

throw fundamentalists to the lions chadknowslaw's Avatar
    Back when I handled such stuff, my record short marriage was when a woman called me at home on a Sunday afternoon wanting to meet me on Monday to file for divorce--she had been married the night before.

My record on the other end was a man who got a phone call from his high school sweetheart--who he had not seen in 44 years--and two months later was living with the old flame and divorcing the wife of 42 years.

Maybe straight people just "aren't equipped" for the committments of marriage either.
    Chad Belville, Esq
    Phoenix, Arizona
    www.chadknowslaw.com
    Keeping you out of trouble is easier than getting you out of trouble!

Scorpio
    Makes me want to beat the living hell of that couple. sorry.

Takemytaco
    I blame straight people and their marriages they are breaking the sanctity of gay marriages.

:penny:

cj.
    "We're not surprised," said Kris Mineau, president of the Massachusetts Family Institute, which is fighting for a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage. "Particularly among male homosexuals, the promiscuity is just phenomenal."

HAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA
    What's wrong Kris, did that cute boy with the leather vest and nipple ring reject you at BoyBar last weekend and you had to settle for going home to your wife for some vanilla sex and playing sport with your kids?!

someone needs to go through Kris Mineau's garbage & find his dirty secrets.

Kris Mineau has got to be kidding. almost all my friends are male, a lot straight - and most have either had sex with other women while with their wives or else have seriously considered it.

promiscuity is hardly the property of any one group.

what a jerkoff!