Thread: Firefox and Opera browser alternatives

willwest

I Wonder? Firefox and Opera browser alternatives

So what do ya think of the new Firefox 1.0 browser? When do we need to become concerned with developing our sites to also be compatible with alternative browsers such as Firefox and Opera?

CNET's New Year's resolution for Firefox: Grow article mentions the increased popularity is growing momentum. It also mentions interoperability problems will continue to dog users of this browser.

I just downloaded Firefox 1.0 to perform a quick comparison with IE 6.0 and Netscape 7.1. I am not impressed with performances of several sites I tested, including my own, while using Firefox. Menu bars and other site features often do not perform properly. And Firefox does not perform significantly faster, as claimed, than the big two browsers on my PC.

Since my traffic stats report the vast majority of visitors to my sites are currently using IE and Netscape, I am not going to worry about interoperability with these alternate browsers at this point.

willwest
    Since I posted my last message, I noticed Netscape recently released an updated version 7.2. So I installed that newest version and I still like it better than Foxtrot, err I mean Firefox.

I am straight, but my ass is gay jIgG's Avatar
    been on firefox since June of last year and looooove it. Haven't seen a pop-up in a very long time, not to mention spyware while using FF

the new netscape is ok, haven't tried it, but if htey have both Gecko and IE engine you get exposed to the same vulnerabilities IE has so .......

retrograde
    Originally posted by jIgG
    been on firefox since June of last year and looooove it. Haven't seen a pop-up in a very long time, not to mention spyware while using FF

the new netscape is ok, haven't tried it, but if htey have both Gecko and IE engine you get exposed to the same vulnerabilities IE has so .......
    I'd have to agree, FireFox is absolutely fantastic. I don't use it because of the performance with sites (though, it's very RARE for me to have trouble) or because it runs faster than IE (it's quite speedy for me), I actually use it because of the features.

The popup blocker is great and easy to use, and I love having tabs. I'm one of those people that like to have lots of pages open at the same time, and FireFox makes it easy.

I am going to download firefox and give it a go, its all the rage and has even been featured in the mainstream (non techie) newspapers as being the next best thing....this one is taking off like wild fire!!!

cheers,
    Luke

Takemytaco
    Once you go FF you never go back.

I love the Tabs navegation future.

More secure
    faster
    No spyware

Just loving it

Words paint the real picture gaystoryman's Avatar
    Well I have been using firefox since it was called something else. I have upgraded to the 1.0 version and for me the tabbed features are what I enjoy the best.

However I would caution everyone that just because you use firefox that you are not vulnerable.

If you use adaware or sypbot you will now note that the firefox definitions list of spyware is growing.

While everyone slams IE for being a sieve, lets be honest. The hackers and virus makers are targeting the #1 browser and not wasting their time on the others, but as IE drops you can bet the farm that vulnerability issues will increase for all of the others.

In short, don't let your guard down just because you browse with firefox.

Ian
    Webmasters: Add Custom Stories To Your Sites Custom Gay Stories

My Blogs Gay Talk, Free Gay Fiction, Erotic Fiction Online

willwest
    Thanks for your helpful feedback on the new Firefox.

How are you developing your sites to also be fully compatible with this browser?

I am straight, but my ass is gay jIgG's Avatar
    i can't say im really developing as I use dreamweaver which is mostly doing CSS everything. links etc.

the only problems with CSS and firefox that I found was centering the DIV which is easy, by setting the margin left/right to auto

another problem i came accross resently is if you dont put a background color in FF is automatically black while in IE it's white.