Thread: Is there a thing called friendly spam?

dalimili

Is there a thing called friendly spam?

Just wonderin; is there an appropriate way of sending mass email messages to possible customers of your sites?

Mostly I've never ever clicked on anything that I've received not knowing how it got into my inbox.... so just out of curiosity anyone out there done anything similiar and would you recommend it ever?

On the other hand.... You have different fingers dirtygeek's Avatar
    A friendly email to someone is ok I would think. I'm not sure that i would send a sale/spam, but more a personal, letter. It would do better I believe. :specs:
    You'll get more with a kind word and a 2 by 4 then you'll get with just a kind word.

Stunner Media Presents 8 great programs:
    IndieBucks | StandAhead | BoyCrushCash | Phoenixxx | <a href="http://hunkmoney.com/">Hunk Money</a> | <a href="http://nats.britishbucks.com/">British Bucks</a> | <a href="http://nats4.emoprofits.com/">Emo Profits</a> | <a href="http://latinobucks.com/">Latino Bucks</a>

desslock

Re: Is there a thing called friendly spam?

Originally posted by dalimili
    Just wonderin; is there an appropriate way of sending mass email messages to possible customers of your sites?
    Using your words here: "mass email messages"

No. Personally I would never market that way. Is it appropriate? It doesn't matter. Is it effective? That's the question you have to ask. I would answer no.

There are many effective ways to market your websites. Read through this board here for ideas. Webmasters on here are marketing all the time, and that is not how they do it. There are even well-knowledgable people on here who you might consider paying $$$ for marketing advice. That would be some money well spent.

Good luck,

Steve

it depends on where you get the email addresses from. if you rent someone's opt in list, emailing is fine - IF they are telling the truth and it really is opt in. if you buy one million email addresses from some guy, you can be looking at disaster.

sending anyone who doesn't request it advertising is not legal. if you do it, remember to use the words "SEXUALLY EXPLICIT" in the subject, because if this is a list of emails you didn't gather nor did a highly reputable adult webmaster, you surely have children on your list. also keep in mind it only takes a couple complaints to have your domain, or even your host's entire network, blocked permanantly by aol or earthlink. we had that happen at a host once. it was devestating.

actually mass emailing is effective - i know people on boards who do it. but keep in mind it is illegal. they are even starting to send people to jail for it. why not collect your own opt-in list, one where each person joining it has to confirm their email address by responding to an initial sent email? or be sure and rent from highly reputable, well-known webmasters with a good rep and realistic prices. you will be talking hundreds of dollars for a list like that, not $39, but it's worth it.

JustMe
    Greetings:

I've been starting to get a bunch of spam from people on this forum trying to push their sponsorship programs lately.

Would I ever do business with them as a result? No.

IMHO, if a company is going to do this sort of annoying nonsense to professionals in the industry, you can imagine how badly they must annoy their actual consumer base.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Originally posted by JustMe
    I've been starting to get a bunch of spam from people on this forum trying to push their sponsorship programs lately.
    If you get any more please forward it over to abuse@gaywidewebmasters.com and we will rectify the issue for you :thumbsup:

We want to make sure your participation on the GWW community is an enjoyable and profitabl one and we have cancelled community members accounts int he past for spamming our other community members email addresses AND community PM system.

Regards,

Lee

JustMe
    Greetings:

Originally posted by Lee
    we have cancelled community members accounts int he past for spamming our other community members email addresses AND community PM system.

Regards,

Lee
    You're going to ban JustUsBoys and Mesmerotic? I think not. :bush:

I got the mesmerotic mail the other day too. It was sent to the address that shows up on my domain registry, which is different than the one I used for GWW, so I don't think it was from here.

Just a note to AndyMike.... if you had really visited my sites, you would have seen the justusboysclub links on them.

On the other hand.... You have different fingers dirtygeek's Avatar
    Hi guys, I'm sorry you got that email. It was sent to an old list of email address that I had on file here that I had spoke with a long while back. It wasn't meant to be a spam to you. Again, I do apologize about it. Forgive me.
    You'll get more with a kind word and a 2 by 4 then you'll get with just a kind word.

Stunner Media Presents 8 great programs:
    IndieBucks | StandAhead | BoyCrushCash | Phoenixxx | <a href="http://hunkmoney.com/">Hunk Money</a> | <a href="http://nats.britishbucks.com/">British Bucks</a> | <a href="http://nats4.emoprofits.com/">Emo Profits</a> | <a href="http://latinobucks.com/">Latino Bucks</a>

JustMe
    Greetings:

Well god damn it all to hell. You just HAD to be all apologetic about it, didn't you?

I guess I now am left with no choice but to forgive you for your dastardly deeds!

:goof:

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Originally posted by JustMe
    Greetings:

You're going to ban JustUsBoys and Mesmerotic? I think not. :bush:
    Why wouldnt I?

If someone is using GWW as a tool to spam webmasters, they will be banned, it IS as simple as that, no matter who they are.

That wasnt the case in this instance though as has already been posted.

Regards,

Lee

JustMe
    Greetings:

Originally posted by Lee
    Why wouldnt I?

Regards,

Lee
    I just noticed that you banned ********* and *********** , so I guess no one is safe. (Bed*Fellow and Cyber*Socket)

Beware Beware, any of us could be next!

:uhoh:

JustBryce
    JustMe, my email is bryce @ sobedigital.com. If you ever have a problem with me or someone that works for me... give me a shout. I'd rather here it from you directly than from boardtracker.

Besides, Lee would have our ass if we ever tried to pull a 2nd grade stunt like that. We've been doing this full-time since 1998. If you haven't heard something bad about us yet, then it's not going to start today.

dont be jealous becuase i'm beautiful, be jealous because i just fucked your boyfriend
    Originally posted by basschick

actually mass emailing is effective - i know people on boards who do it. but keep in mind it is illegal. they are even starting to send people to jail for it.
    Just FYI - Mass mailing is not illegal. Those going to jail are people who are not abiding by the rules of sending UN-solicited bulk email indluding using R-X rated language and images in the message body and/or subject line. People are also going to jail for not including an optout or using fake/false/hijacked email accounts for the 'From'.

Unsolicited bulk email is legal that's why they call it the CAN-SPAM act. Unsolicited email would not be optin lists.

So, if you are dealing with previous customers or people you have a relationship with and can prove it - then it is solicited bulk email. Also, it's considered to be 'up in the air' if you have to include the sexually explicit warning, use of R-X rated images and text, as well as an optout or postal address for solicited email. There are differing opinions on this.

Regardless PrideBucks and Many other affiliate programs require the email list to be optin and comply with the CAN-SPAM act standards.