Thread: SpongeBob SquarePants - To Gay?

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

Big Grin SpongeBob SquarePants - To Gay?

On the heels of electoral victories to bar same-sex marriage, some influential conservative Christian groups are turning their attention to a new target: the cartoon character SpongeBob SquarePants.

"Does anybody here know SpongeBob?" Dr James Dobson, founder of Focus on the Family, asked guests on Tuesday at a black-tie dinner for members of Congress and political allies.

In many circles, SpongeBob needs no introduction. He is popular among children as well as adults who watch him cavorting under the sea on the Nickelodeon cartoon program that bears his name. In addition, he has become a well-known camp figure among adult gay men, perhaps because he holds hands with his animated sidekick Patrick and likes to watch the imaginary television show The Adventures of Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy.

Now, Dr Dobson said, SpongeBob's creators had enlisted him in a "pro-homosexual video", in which he appeared alongside other children's television characters. The makers of the video, he said, planned to mail it to thousands of schools this northern spring to promote a "tolerance pledge" that includes tolerance for differences of "sexual identity".

The video's creator, Nile Rodgers, who wrote the disco hit We Are Family and led the group Chic, says Dr Dobson's objection stemmed from a misunderstanding. Rodgers said he founded the We Are Family Foundation after the September 11 attacks to create a music video featuring 100 well-known cartoon characters dancing to his song to teach children about multiculturalism.

Nothing in the video or its accompanying materials refers to sexual identity.

Rodgers suggested that Dr Dobson might have been confused because of an unrelated website belonging to another group called We Are Family. That site is owned by a South Carolina group aimed at supporting gay youth.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/World/Hap...?oneclick=true

Well damn, the world is officially fucked up when cartoon characters have to bought into the 'gay' debate after all, i know the charater is representative of many gay and lesbians in the US

Regards,

Lee

Goldie
    There have been "gay" cartoon characters forever.... Some people just need to get a life! I happen to like the show because it is funny, that's all!

Other cartoon characters "rumored to be gay" include...

Marcie and Peppermint Patty
    Bugs Bunny
    Waylon Smithers (let's face it, he's gay!)
    Batman and Robin
    The Smurfs
    SnagglePuss
    Bert and Ernie
    Tinky Winky

any others???

:gaydays:

On the other hand.... You have different fingers dirtygeek's Avatar
    Do bert and erine count as cartoons? they always seemed so gay to me
    You'll get more with a kind word and a 2 by 4 then you'll get with just a kind word.

Stunner Media Presents 8 great programs:
    IndieBucks | StandAhead | BoyCrushCash | Phoenixxx | <a href="http://hunkmoney.com/">Hunk Money</a> | <a href="http://nats.britishbucks.com/">British Bucks</a> | <a href="http://nats4.emoprofits.com/">Emo Profits</a> | <a href="http://latinobucks.com/">Latino Bucks</a>

I LOVE SPONGEBOB!!!

Dawgy
    dr dobson is right up there with jerry falwell, altho a nicer man in general. i've met him a few times (thanks to my super religious dad). spongebob is cute, and i dunno if kids think he's gay or not. i dont know that it really matters. its just sad that people have to take something like this to further their own political & religious agendas.

robin
    If I say anything about dobson I'll just blow a gasget...

Add Stewie from Family Guy to the list.

From South Park: Big Gay Al, Mr Garrison and his lover Mr Slave, Satan, Eric Cartman shows a lot of gay tendencies despite his homosexual slurs. For such a cartoon that has a lot of mean-spirited homo slurs/jokes there sure are a lot of gays in the show.

It's weird that one group would take refracted light. Pretty greedy, gays. EonFilms_Rocky's Avatar
    Xander from "Drawn Together" is also gay.

It's weird that one group would take refracted light. Pretty greedy, gays. EonFilms_Rocky's Avatar
    Let's not forget Rod and Todd Flanders, Ren and Stimpy.. and, of course, the Ambiguously Gay Duo.

Corey Bryant
    Originally posted by Marcgoldie22
    any others???

:gaydays:
    Woody Woodpecker? :devious:

BigasMoe
    I read an article about Sponge Bob several years ago in the Wall Street journal stating this cartoon was the most watched cartoon by Gays. SO this is nothing new atleast not to me even though I'm not Gay I've known it for some time.:kitten: