Thread: Godaddy and domain propagating problems

I am straight, but my ass is gay jIgG's Avatar

Godaddy and domain propagating problems

I bought a domain the other day and i still can't load it. And nobody else can from the states or Europe, even though my NS servers are set.

Anyone had that problem before? Or will I have to play admin and fiddle with my ... eeek .... DNS on the server?

if you use godaddy's advanced dns settings and enter the A and MX records (using their default parked nameservers) things will update within the hour....but that assumes that it is propogated properly to begin with, and that takes upto 72 hours and there ain't nuttin you can do about it at all!!!

cheers,
    Luke

desslock
    jIgG

Make sure your DNS records are all setup properly on your DNS server. If they are not, then that is probably why it is improperly propogating.

Make sure your SOA is correct, and that you have your NS records in there. Make sure the A record goes to the correct IP address. etc.

Once the domain is registered with GoDaddy or Network Solutions, it starts up very quickly.

good luck,
    Steve

I am straight, but my ass is gay jIgG's Avatar
    it finally worked this thing, after DAYS ... phew

suck pain in the rear

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Glad you got it sorted jigg

I HATE waiting for the DNS to update on new domains i buy LOL

Regards,

Lee

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    hmmmm.

If you're using a good registrar and reliable DNS, it should never take more than 24 hours for a new domain to resolve.

It can actually take longer than that for an existing domain to switch to a new server because you may have to wait for the old DNS information to expire from DNS servers throughout the 'net and for the new information to propagate...

If it's taking longer than that, sounds like your DNS provider isn't clearing their cache properly or else GoDaddy is taking longer than it should to update the shared registry with your domain information.

The root nameservers (that ultimately resolve all DNS requests worldwide) are updated twice per day, noon and midnight EST, and most well-run ISPs reload their nameservers at least once a day, usually in the early AM after the midnight update is completed. Once that happens, your new domain name should resolve... so theoretically, if you register a name at 11pm ET, it should be resolving the following afternoon at the latest. That's what we tell our webhosting customers, and it's generally been reliable information, but then again, we run a pretty spiffy DNS and use a registrar (enom.com) that's been rock solid reliable for us.