Thread: New Education Chief rips PBS for gay character - threatens funding

New Education Chief rips PBS for gay character - threatens funding

Looks like the education secretary supports diversity, but not for the Gay community. Is it legal for her to do this? Why is religious diversity acceptable to teach but sexual orientation not? What do you think about this?

WASHINGTON - The nation’s new education secretary denounced PBS on Tuesday for spending public money on a cartoon with lesbian characters, saying many parents would not want children exposed to such lifestyles.

In the show, Buster carries a digital video camera and explores regions, activities and people of different backgrounds and religions.

On the episode in question, “The fact that there is a family structure that is objectionable to the Department of Education is not at all the focus of the show, nor is it addressed in the show,” said Sloan of PBS.

First act as secretary
    With her letter, Spellings has made criticism of the publicly funded program’s depiction of the gay lifestyle one of her first acts as secretary. She began on Monday, replacing Rod Paige as President Bush’s education chief.

Spellings issued three requests to PBS.

She asked that her department’s seal or any statement linking the department to the show be removed. She asked PBS to notify its member stations of the nature of show so they could review it before airing it. And she asked for the refund “in the interest of avoiding embroiling the Ready-To-Learn program in a controversy that will only hurt” it.

In closing, she warned: “You can be assured that in the future the department will be more clear as to its expectations for any future programming that it funds.”

There's a lot more detail in the FULL STORY
    Naked Straight Men on Squirtit & StraightBro

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

JustMe
    Greetings:

Yes, and the President used his State of the Union Address to AGAIN bring up the marriage ban! I couldn't believe it!! I figured after the election was over, and he had used the issue to get into office, he'd let it die. Boy was I wrong!

This is turning out to be the most anti-gay administration in our country's history. It's a sad, sad thing...

Maybe if Bush and his fellow Jesus worshipers had watched cartoons with faggot cheese-men and bull dyke bunny rabbits in them as children, they wouldn't have grown up to be such bigots....

Slade
    Sponge Bob is hiding in my basement right now.
    Shh...it's supposed to be a secret!

Damn right! The ACLU has it's work cut out for it the next few years... and the way Bush is promoting Jebb Bush as his successor, there could be even more discrimination down the road.

How on earth can religious people cry fowl when they are discriminated against, yet turn right around and promote discrimination against Gays? They preach of a loving God, one which welcomed prostitutes, etc. with open arms, say "thow shalt not judge or fear being judged" then turn around and preach hatred for homosexuals? And the same preachers condeming homosexuals are prosecuted for molesting boys?

Fucked up people.. so sad that the majority of religious people follow this same path.

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

Originally posted by Slade
    Sponge Bob is hiding in my basement right now.
    Shh...it's supposed to be a secret!
    Ha ha ha!

You know I just don't understand how the government can accept diversity, including everyone EXCEPT homosexuals? There is no diversity unless you include everyone right?

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

don't be silly. they don't accept ANY diversity at all.

btw, i've been told that the piece of the show at issue doesn't actually say the women are lesbians. they are just standing together. the way i understand it, they could have just as easily been roommates or two divorced moms sharing the rent and babysitting chores.

Originally posted by basschick
    don't be silly. they don't accept ANY diversity at all.

btw, i've been told that the piece of the show at issue doesn't actually say the women are lesbians. they are just standing together. the way i understand it, they could have just as easily been roommates or two divorced moms sharing the rent and babysitting chores.
    You're right.. it says in the article that it wasn't obvious what the relationship was at all. But the title "TastySugar" is kind of funny when you relate it to Lesbian intimacy

These sexually repressed people trying to run a country amazes me. Just like people in the middle east. When you sexually repress human beings, which are sexual by nature, you get all sorts of twisted behavior going on.

The activist in me chuckles at attempts like this to censor reality. Being a Gay parent I'm raising a person ( who will most likely be heterosexual ) that knows first hand what people in the Gay minority have to deal with, and who we really are, NORMAL people like everyone else. And I plan on having more kids soon... and so the cycle continues :high:

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com