Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HIV Supervirus Discovered

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

WTF? HIV Supervirus Discovered

NEW YORK - (KRT) - A previously unknown superstrain of the virus that causes AIDS has been diagnosed in New York, sparking fears among health officials and the gay community.

So far only one case has been found in the world - a New York man in his mid-40s who had unprotected sex with multiple men in October.

City and federal experts believe it is the first time this mutated strain of HIV has been reported anywhere.

It is virtually drug-resistant and progresses in a matter of months from HIV infection to full-blown AIDS, a process that normally takes 10 or more years. In this man's case it took only two months.

"I've been living with HIV since 1981, and I was dreading this day, because I knew this day would come when multidrug-resistant strains of the virus would begin to enter into the community," said Dennis de Leon, president of the Latino Commission on AIDS.

The virus is known technically as a strain of three-class antiretroviral-resistant HIV, or 3-DCR HIV. Simply put, that means it is resistant to three of the four classes of drugs used to treat HIV.

Usually a cocktail of drugs from the four classes is needed to keep the virus in check.

Those most vulnerable to the virus would be gays and intravenous drug users who share needles. But it could easily spread to the heterosexual community.

"Potentially, no one is immune," New York City Health Commissioner Thomas Frieden said.

The new superstrain virus can turn into AIDS in two to 20 months, Frieden said.

The man diagnosed with the virus, who is not being identified by officials, has AIDS and his prognosis is bleak.

An intense investigation is underway to locate his sex partners to track the source of the virus and stem its possible spread.

The infected man had repeatedly tested negative for HIV over the past decade, including as late as May 2003.

Last October he was involved in "multiple episodes with multiple partners" of unprotected sex while binging on crystal methamphetamine, a popular party drug known as the poor man's cocaine, Frieden said.

In December the man developed flulike symptoms and his doctor diagnosed HIV. Further tests by the Aaron Diamond AIDS Research Center in Manhattan turned up the superstrain virus.

Jay Dobkin, medical director of the AIDS Center at Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, said:

"Many of us here remember the dark days before there was any effective treatment for HIV, and I think ... (this) should at least be a reminder that those days could come back."

Frieden and a battery of local HIV/AIDS experts said the best way for people to combat the new strain is to practice safe sex and be tested regularly for HIV. Anti-retroviral medications have helped to sharply reduce the number of deaths in New York related to HIV. At the peak of the AIDS epidemic there were 7,102 deaths in the city in 1994, compared with 1,656 in 2003.

Advocates for the gay community said this is a wakeup call about the complacency created by breakthrough treatments.

"It debunks that sense of false comfort we were resting on," said Ana Oliveira, executive director of the organization Gay Men's Health Crisis.

There are more than 88,000 New Yorkers who know they have HIV, the city Health Department says, and it's estimated another 20,000 have it and don't know it because they haven't been tested.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...0883423.htm?1c

From what i have read elsewhere about this story it seems that once infected with the HIV supervirus, you get AIDs within 2-3 months instead of 10+ years :wtf:

Perhaps we'll start to see more research in to finding a cure instead of just 'control' now?

Regards,

Lee

Sana Chan
    Man, that is scary. A lot of people have been wondering what the next epidemic will be to spread over the world as history has shown that every few hundred years there is an outbreak of a deadly disease. I hope it won't be this one.

I am straight, but my ass is gay jIgG's Avatar
    you all are falling for it, HIV doesn't exist it's am myth to make drug companies money

but I have to say not surprising given that new strains have been popping up all the time

it's amazing to me still how only the gay community is targeted in articles about hiv. a few years ago, for a couple years, hiv was the number one killer of straight women between 18 and 40, usually contracted from their husbands or boyfriends.

i have two friends with hiv, and several more acquaintances who got the virus through i.v. drug use. i.v. drug users are, for obvious reasons, at very high risk from hiv.

i'm not saying the gay community shouldn't be very careful, but shouldn't EVERYONE be careful? maybe one of those multiple partners is an i.v. drug user or has a wife... there's no reason to believe that this supervirus will only affect the gay community.

Yikes, just another reminder on the importance of playing safe!

cheers,
    Luke

that's one HELL of a reminder

Dawgy
    thats it

im gonna find me about 10 pure virgin boys who are clean as a whistle

and go live on a deserted island with them

its the only responsible safe sex thing to do

:angel:

desslock
    jIgG - I actually do think you are onto something about HIV, but I don't think the reason is that sinister or conspiratorial.

Why blame the drug companies as villians, when people essentially demand pills from their doctors constantly? In fact when people see a doctor, what is psychoogically better - if the doctor says you are sick and you have to ride out your ailment for a week, or for the doctor to say "you are sick, and here are some pills, now go home" ?

What would be better - for you to go to the doctor and get a $90 prescription for Nexium, or to just elimiate all the fast food and sodas and breakfast tacos from your diet, and exercize twice a week? Or should you blame the drug companies if people instist on getting anti-depressants as opposed to facing their problems?

I know I'm not a doctor, but I do think there is a lot of learn about HIV, about virology in general.

Oh and that New York Times article casually mentions the guy uses crystal... a very toxic drug. Perhaps he's screwed up his immune system from that. Note they made it a point to mention that he used it, and that he was promiscuous. Why is that?

People easily play into the idea that sex is naughty and taboo; that sex is something you shouldn't do. This article certainly feeds to that stereotype.

Steve

I am straight, but my ass is gay jIgG's Avatar
    there ARE suggestions who say there's a link between drug use and HIV.

But if there's a bug that can actually attack cells and destroy, that theory is just that .... a theory. To me at least.

As there are people who have HIV that aren't druggies.

Crystal meth is toxic, and so are the meds used

It's not that sex is something you shouldn't do. Sex without protection is something you shouldn't do and with the club scene and the free-for-all fucking and glorifying of bareback, we'll be reading more about gay guys on drugs becoming HIV+

I think that before running to CNN they probably should have tried to figure out what exactly was going on first.

truth be told, some people progress bery fast... some people never getsick.

Some people don't have HIV and are immunosupressed because of the type of heavy drug use that he admits to.

This is a single isolated case. Don't let the news scare you. Let's wait for the REAL scientists can tell us what's REALLY going on..not just some press whore crack pots.

I hate to break the momentum of hysteria but....

Cancer, heart disease, stroke, Ebola, the flesh eating virus, etc. etc. etc. can kill you as fast, or faster, then a 3 month "aggressive strain" of HIV. Oddly enough more people die in the U.S. from cancer, heart disease and stroke then HIV. ( U.S. CDC ) Should we use protection? Hell yes, just like we should watch what we eat, excercise and go for yearly checkups. It's sad that in America HIV is the 5th leading cause of death for Americans aged 25-44 ( U.S. CDC ) . I'm 33 , the leading cause of death for my age bracket is accidents ( U.S. CDC ) and being male I have a 41% higher chance of dying in an accident then a female ( U.S. CDC ) Influenza and pneumonia are the 7th leading cause of death for all Americans and it saw a 3% increase in mortality while HIV saw a 1.9% decrease in infection ( U.S. CDC )

Our current president has admitted to using cocaine extensively in his youth, perhaps he'd like to address Gay America about the pitfalls of using stimulants, and the risky behaviors that come with using such drugs, though I doubt he cares as first time cocaine users in the U.S. has risen 63% in the last 6 years ( U.S. Subcomittee Hearings Facts on Drug Interdiction )

It's unfortunate that half of all people worldwide with HIV are heterosexual women ( U.S. Department of Health and Human Services ) 25% of HIV cases worldwide are obtained by heterosexual men ( U.S. CDC 2002 ) In the U.S. 40% of all new HIV cases are heterosexual men and women ( U.S. Department of Health and Human Services ) 75% of women in the U.S. get HIV through heterosexual sex and 25% of women get it through injection drug use ( U.S. Department of Health and Human Services )

The ignorance that is being spread about this disease in the media is exactly what has made the numbers of heterosexual infections grow since the disease was first discovered.

One good thing to come of Gay HIV is a heightened awareness in the Gay community about the disease. Unfortunately the numbers will continue to grow in the U.S., and worldwide, until people can shake the stigma of this being a Gay disease, which it's not. Viruses don't discriminate, people do.

Do you think it would be easier for us to say "straight HIV" and "Gay HIV" so they understand it effects them as well?
    Naked Straight Men on Squirtit & StraightBro

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

Backlash from the possibly new HIV strain found

February 15, 2005
    Gays Debate Radical Steps to Curb Unsafe Sex
    By ANDREW JACOBS

After all the thousands of AIDS deaths and all the years of "Safe Sex Is Hot Sex" prevention messages, it has come down to this: many gay men who know the rules of engagement in the age of AIDS are not using condoms. As news of a potentially virulent strain of H.I.V. settles in, gay activists and AIDS prevention workers say they are dismayed and angry that the 25-year-old battle against the disease might have to begin all over again.

While many are calling for a renewed commitment to prevention efforts and free condoms, some veterans of the war on AIDS are advocating an entirely new approach to the spread of unsafe sex, much of which is fueled by a surge in methamphetamine abuse. They want to track down those who knowingly engage in risky behavior and try to stop them before they can infect others.

It is a radical idea, born of desperation, that has been gaining ground in recent months as a growing number of gay men become infected despite warnings about unsafe sex. NEW YORK TIMES FULL STORY

Still the focus is Gay men, and those who especially use drugs? I feel sorry for the heterosexual women and men who will contract HIV thinking it isn't a straight disease and I feel worse for the Gay guys that will be looked down upon as irresponsible drug users, even though they could have been using a condom, and not using drugs, when they contracted the disease. So our NEW stereotype for people who contract HIV is drug using homosexuals? :wtf: Please see post above for latest HIV statistics.

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

neilxod
    Should we be opening a discussion about the production and showing of bareback movies?
    Hot button anyone????

Hugs,
    N.

Originally posted by neilxod
    Should we be opening a discussion about the production and showing of bareback movies?
    Hot button anyone????

Hugs,
    N.
    :angel:

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

desslock
    Well think of it like this:

The debate over the HIV topic is just like the debate over the scientific thoery that global warming is a man-made phenomenon.

They are theories. They are not etchings on stone commandments brought down by Charlton Heston. That is what distinguishes science from absolute faith.

Just because they are posed by scientists, it should always be remembered that theories by definiton have the ability to be proven or disproven.

It is extremely difficult to discuss the subjects without falling into a precipice.

Steve