Thread: So We're Almost Completely Wireless Now

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

Yeah So We're Almost Completely Wireless Now

Hence the reason Gary and I havent been around much the last day or two.

We decided it was time to do some updgrades and the wireless network was the first thing to be upgraded :thumbsup:

We're now all inter-connected and even setup the Xbox with a wireless connection to XboxLive yesterday.

Only had to go to the store to replace equipment about 3 times too LOL

So far it seems to be working with no problems and, we can even print wirelessly, im a little impressed with the different range of products available to, i think we'll be setting up a media server next so we can have wireless music and movies throughout the house.

Regards,

Lee

AusCoding Allan
    I was considering going to wireless at my place too but I thought I would test it out first. I bought a wireless router for the network and my laptop was already wireless but I just can't get reception throughout the whole house because our cable connection is downstairs where it is double brick and the signal from the router doesn't like all the walls.

Oh well, guess it looks like sticking to hard cabled networking for me for the moment anyway.

Allan

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Allan,

You can buy a booster box for the signal.

It looks like we'll be getting on to attach in either the TV room or the bedroom because we *think* the new gaming area is a little out of range.

A booster point should fix that up though and they only cost around the $30 mark from what i saw

Regards,

Lee

I am straight, but my ass is gay jIgG's Avatar
    thought about wireless, but all this cancer-from-wifi makes me uneasy.

plus securing the wifi connection and making sure some shmuck from outside doesn't get in.

JustMe
    Greetings:

Originally posted by jIgG
    plus securing the wifi connection and making sure some schmuck from outside doesn't get in.
    EXACTLY! Ever heard of "war driving"? The technology just isn't there yet to keep a wireless home network secure. Sure, all of the fancy wireless access keys and the like that you've configured may make you feel safe, but I can tell you now that it doesn't. Not at ALL.

There are some commercial packages out there that do a pretty good job at it, though. I ran a wireless lan once that covered 2 square miles and had several police stations hooked into it. Everything used hardware encryptors, real time channel switching, and other similar protocols. I can tell you, this hardware is not affordable for home use, and even if it were, it would not be at all practical.

In short, I wouldn't put anything on a wireless lan that I didn't want anyone in my town/city seeing. Especially in the business that you're in. You need to be very careful with these sorts of things.

I'm pretty happy with our wireless system here at home. It takes time setting up the wireless security but it pays off in the end.

As far as having everything in the house wireless that's a bit much for me but sounds like fun :high:
    Naked Straight Men on Squirtit & StraightBro

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com