Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of video..mpg or WMV

Polish my nuts and serve me a milkshake Buck Angel's Avatar

What kind of video..mpg or WMV

I am putting up my new site and want to know what you all think is the best method for video clips..mpegs, WMV or Realplayer?

I use WMV on transexual-man.

Thanks!
    WOOF
    Buck

You may want to look at offering more than one option hon ... I think a lot of folks put up wmv and realplayer links for the same video.

JustMe
    Greetings:

Do you plan on streaming the video? If so:

MPG simply was not designed for streaming technology. While it is POSSIBLE to stream MPG, it really isn't a viable option.

RealMedia has been losing ground in the market place for years. I wouldn't be investing time into creating media for it.

I would definately go with wmv if you want to stream it.

If you want to make it available for download:

MPG offers better quality, although it's compression isn't as impressive as that of wmv or RealMedia. It's a good solution if you want to make higher quality media available for download.

I'm sure that members of "The Cult of The Macintosh" will start preaching Quick Time in this thread soon. Ignore them, their path is a sinful one......

yes streaming them. Ido stream them now with WMV and thats working fine for my members but was just curious if that was how most do it and if you notice that people would rather stream or download.

Thanks for all the great info..oh ya I do use a MAC for my video editing and I do think it is a better editing system but would never use QT for my videos because it's a PC world!

WOOF!

Slade
    Originally posted by Buck Angel
    yes streaming them. Ido stream them now with WMV and thats working fine for my members but was just curious if that was how most do it and if you notice that people would rather stream or download.

Thanks for all the great info..oh ya I do use a MAC for my video editing and I do think it is a better editing system but would never use QT for my videos because it's a PC world!

WOOF!
    I think people much rather download these days. They get to keep it to watch at any time! grin

But wmv NOW is the way to go..much smaller file than an mpeg, and with the advent of media 9 codec, the quality of wmv's now are EXCELLENT! So, great picture, smaller file, less disk space to use, and faster download time for members..it's a winner all the way around!

Xstr8guy
    The most recent version of the Real codecs are killer... way better quality than .wmv's and smaller file sizes.

I am gonna stick with the wmv but think I will try making some of the vids downloadable.Thanks for all the feedback!

Xstr8guy is that your puppy? Check my doggy store for really awesome dog clothes
    chiwawagaga.com

WOOF!

I like the quality of RM videos for the small size but I hate running real player cuz it tends to blast me with ads and install itself into my startup group every time (why do programs feel they are so important that I want them sitting in the background taking up valuable resources for the 95% of the time I am not using them?)

wmv is good but isn't it restricted to windows users? also if you are looking at any DRM I believe wmv is a requirement for most of these programs to work.

good old mpeg works best, its universal and can be played on any computer. You pay for that with slightly less quality and / or bigger file sizes but people almost never complain with an mpeg video on a paysite.

have you looked into divx? it produces high quality videos that are smaller in size, the only issue is that you have to point your users to the divx site to make sure they download the latest plug-ins.

cheers,
    Luke

Xstr8guy
    Originally posted by Buck Angel
    Xstr8guy is that your puppy? Check my doggy store for really awesome dog clothes
    chiwawagaga.com
    Yes, that's my baby but he's an avid nudist. We looked at your store together... I thought everything was adorable, but Petie laughed at all of the silly dogs. I threatened to get him a cowboy hat next time he is bad. We had a fight and now we aren't speaking.

Great site by the way. I would have never thought that "Buck Angel" had a clothing store for dogs!

Bell
    Originally posted by Xstr8guy
    Yes, that's my baby but he's an avid nudist. We looked at your store together... I thought everything was adorable, but Petie laughed at all of the silly dogs. I threatened to get him a cowboy hat next time he is bad. We had a fight and now we aren't speaking.

Great site by the way. I would have never thought that "Buck Angel" had a clothing store for dogs!

yep....
    he's got GREAT clothes for pets...
    even little itty bitty leather jackets...
    they are ADORABLE...

~Bell

we offer our members both wmv and mpg - more than a third prefer mpg, so it's worth it to us to offer both. i know a bunch of people who can't watch wmv's for various reasons. variety, spice of life, and all that

I really hate WMV files.

You can't jog them, pause them, and even jumping ahead is a pain in the ass.

they're smaller, of course. So they're easier on bandwidth and better for slower connections.

I'd give both for sure.

Slade
    Originally posted by Jasun
    I really hate WMV files.

they're smaller, of course. So they're easier on bandwidth and better for slower connections.

I'd give both for sure.
    That's interesting. I've never had trouble playing wmv files, pausing them, moving them ahead, etc.
    You using the latest version of media player, etc?

i never have any problems doing any of those things with wmv. also, you can use a player on the page with each wmv that has all those options even if your media player doesn't have them, for some mysterious reason.

can you see the controls on this wmv?
    http://www.toplessfishing.com/join.html

Originally posted by Jasun
    I really hate WMV files.

I'd give both for sure.