Thread: streaming video to your members

Ah, 80 Hour Work Weeks, The American Dream! tombarr's Avatar

streaming video to your members

Streaming video is becoming, if not already, the most important component of the members area in a paysite affecting retention. As such, ensuring that the streaming vids in your members are functional, viewable, pleasurable, and reliable is a critical concern for a webmaster.

As there are several formats available to choose from, wmv, real,
    qt... and there are multiple options to choose from when selecting your compression settings, etc... I wanted to see what other sites are doing.....

Here are some questions that are of interest to me.

1. What is the prefered "streaming" format of clips from the surfer's perspective?

2. Do surfers prefer streaming, or videos they save to HD then play back?

3. What compresssion tool, and what settings do most webmasters use to prepare their clips for publising on their website?

4. Is there a standard set of compression settings that have been proven over time to yield the best download size versus clarity of presentation to the viewer?

5. How do you "test" your clips from a surfer perspective... as an example, you have a customer in australia having trouble with your clips... you know they are working for you locally, but he says he can never get the clips to work on his end... how do you test that,
    keeping in mind that most surfers are not very technically adept when
    it comes to browser settings, media viewer settings etc..

6. Would a website get better streaming results by using a streaming
    server or can reliable results be delivered by just using compression and embedding code for each individual clip?

Lots of questions... but I hope that we can get lots of answers...

Thanks

JustMe

Re: streaming video to your members

1. What is the prefered "streaming" format of clips from the surfer's perspective?
    One that works without them having to worry about installing a bunch of things, or configured things that they already have. The answer, IMHO, is wmv as all PC users have it by default, and virtually all Mac users have installed it.

2. Do surfers prefer streaming, or videos they save to HD then play back?
    What I've found from research in the mainstream world, and I'd take a guess it applies to this industry as well: If both are offered as an option, a user will view part of the stream as a preview to see if they like the file. If they do, they'll download it. If only 1 option is available, they prefer being able to download.

However, there are other things to take into consideration here, other than what the USER likes. Such as retention, and piracy. What may be best for the user, might not necessarily be best for you as the owner of the content.

3. What compresssion tool, and what settings do most webmasters use to prepare their clips for publising on their website?
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "compression tool" and "settings"? As an editor I like the products from Pinnacle Systems.

4. Is there a standard set of compression settings that have been proven over time to yield the best download size versus clarity of presentation to the viewer?

When compressing into wmv I use: 346kbps streams at 320x240

5. How do you "test" your clips from a surfer perspective... as an example, you have a customer in australia having trouble with your clips... you know they are working for you locally, but he says he can never get the clips to work on his end... how do you test that,
    keeping in mind that most surfers are not very technically adept when
    it comes to browser settings, media viewer settings etc..

Again, why it's important to make sure that your solution doesn't require users to need to mess around with browser settings, or media viewer settings. See my answer to question #1.

It's probably a good idea to put sample video clips on the outside of your member's area, in the tour. This way, if users can see them working properly there, they know they'll be able to in the member's area. If they can't, that gives them the opportunity to see that they might have some troubles with your site before they drop the $$. Personally, I don't want problem users. Their $30 isn't worth the time it takes to "teach" them how to use their browser or other basic internet functions.

6. Would a website get better streaming results by using a streaming
    server or can reliable results be delivered by just using compression and embedding code for each individual clip?

Yes, you'll get better streaming results, bandwidth management, and rights management protections by using a streaming server. But no, it's not necessary to simply get satisfactory streaming results.